micro switch tap and whale pump

Redmask09

hello,

quick question, can the micro switch tap be connected to the pump so that when the pump is switched on the tap comes on too...

dont really want to be routing more cables..

n brown

Forum Member
if you mean- can the microswitch be wired to turn the pump on when you open a tap - then yes .

Alf

Water Pump

Best idea and saves on cable runs is a pump with a pressure switch built in you turn the tap on pressure drops the pump starts turn the tap off the pump stops

Simples !

Alf

hello,

quick question, can the micro switch tap be connected to the pump so that when the pump is switched on the tap comes on too...

dont really want to be routing more cables..

n brown

Forum Member
thanks for the reply, what is the best way to do it ? any advice ?
take the positive wire from the battery to a 5amp inline fuse
from there to either wire on the tap,
then extend the other wire from the tap to the brown wire on the pump
take the blue wire from the pump to the negative on the battery

if your leisure battery negative is connected to the van body,as it should be,then the negative/blue wire from the pump can be connected to the bodywork to save wiring run

Last edited:

Redmask09

take the positive wire from the battery to a 5amp inline fuse
from there to either wire on the tap,
then extend the other wire from the tap to the brown wire on the pump
take the blue wire from the pump to the negative on the battery

if your leisure battery negative is connected to the van body,as it should be,then the negative/blue wire from the pump can be connected to the bodywork to save wiring run

Many thanks mostly appreciated, will be running it through the zig unit, i am buying the smev sink and hob kit which comes with everything etc....

Alf

Pump Warning

You only need the Accumulator to stop knocking really if your system is not too big you can manage without.

The only downside of a pressure system is You MUST get into the habit of turning the pump OFF after use if not a leak at night or when you are out could and will result in the tank being emptied at worst inside the van and the pump running dry so be warned turn off when not in use

Alf

But won't you need also one of these? Or you won't have any pressure to drop.
FIAMMA A20 Expansion Tank - Accumulator Tank - Caravan / Motorhome / Boat | eBay

Alf

Water Leak

Err...... if you spring a leak on a water pipe where will the water go.....

Pump turned on leak on a pipe or fitting say wardrobe or under sink or other location inside van.

you Don't need a tap on to empty tank into van,

already been there and got that tee shirt

Out for the day pump running all day no water to lubricate bearing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its better to turn pump off when not in use

OK next one please

n brown

Forum Member
just out of interest- my Shurflo pump ran dry for 2-3 days before i noticed it .no harm done ! wouldn't advocate it mind

listerdiesel

The tap microswitches are not fully rated for the average water pump, they are 1A rated, some are less, and the average water pump takes 3-4 amps, plus when it turns off there is a nice juicy arc which eats the switch contacts away.

We run our pump through a standard automotive relay with is controlled by the three sets of microswitch taps.

Much more reliable and no voltage drop issues if the relay is placed close to the pump.

Doing the same on the Mercedes. Never really liked pressurised system, had too many leaks over the years!

Peter

Deleted member 1540

We run our pump through a standard automotive relay with is controlled by the three sets of microswitch taps.

Much more reliable and no voltage drop issues if the relay is placed close to the pump.

I have done the same, with a direct fused feed to the relay from the leisure battery.

It certainly improves the flow rate as well as improving reliablity.

Rob H

micro switch tap and whale pump.

Hi Redmask09.

I've gone the same route as listerdiesel and Admin. With my tap microswitch operating a cheap automotive relay, the relay contacts take the current load from the water pump, that if loaded directly onto the tap microswitch will shorten its life and I expect these tap microswitches are relatively expensive and tricky to replace.
My Sureflow pump therefore runs in water pressure sensing mode smoothed by a Fiamma A20, while the tap is open and the pump powered up, so no sneaky leaks or random pump noises in the night ...

Rob H.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)