Mercedes 518 base van

mark61

Forum Member
Fine base for a motorhome. GVW 5 tonne I expect.
Theres a reason I don't work out MPG :p although that may well do more than mine.

n brown

Forum Member
very similar to my daughter's ambo , the side door is in a good position and the barn doors and windows are too. as for mileage - you only need to drive a mile to change your surroundings , and i can afford that !

davep10000

Forum Member
There seems to be a glut of them on ebay at the moment - prices vary from £6k - £10k (+vat).
All low mileage, unlike a lot of the similar ambulances.
We must not have as many riots as we used to!!
Dave.

vanmandan

I've got the 3.0 V6 auto in my Rapido, awesome engine, gets 24 mpg.
took me a while to find a van that could be plated at 3500kg,
but worth the wait.

channa

Later Mercedes have a poor reputation re the longevity of commercials they are built with almost disposiblity in mind unlike the cars

10 years old at £6k it has trouble written all over it and that's before you convert

Channa

1807truckman

Forum Member
Hi, ex Met police it will have been well maintained, any repairs being done when needed, Our 10 year old Merc Sprinter 516 has never given any problem since it's warranty expired, now done 50,000 miles and had one set of tires due to age not wear, we generally run round a weight of 4,500kg, good reliable vehicle.

Graham

trevskoda

Forum Member
A lot of work to convert,only single glass windows,roof lights need changing and id do away with back doors and plate over,then the whole thing will require a rewire,if you have the skill and a full work shop full of tools welders rivet guns etc then why not.

Looser cruiser

That’s a decent base to start with v6 auto and the thing will be serviced to death it’s not even run in yet ?

wildebus

Forum Member
It looks like a nice base for a conversion and a decent price. But .....

Later Mercedes have a poor reputation re the longevity of commercials they are built with almost disposiblity in mind unlike the cars

10 years old at £6k it has trouble written all over it and that's before you convert

Channa
I can relate to this comment and is the reason why I chose to buy a 2003 LT (aka Sprinter Mk1) rather than a much newer Crafter (aka Sprinter Mk2) at the same price. The complexity of the later Sprinters can lead to big bills :(

channa

It looks like a nice base for a conversion and a decent price. But .....

I can relate to this comment and is the reason why I chose to buy a 2003 LT (aka Sprinter Mk1) rather than a much newer Crafter (aka Sprinter Mk2) at the same price. The complexity of the later Sprinters can lead to big bills :(

Indeed, my comments were not for the sake of it having been involved with a rental fleet.

The saving grace if there is one is the vehicle highlighted is ex Police. They don't repair anything as a rule replace defective parts with original parts too and have a rigid maintenance regime;

Mechanically at least should be a sound buy

Channa

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
The GOV.UK site shows the Revenue weight as 5000kg View attachment 66506View attachment 66507

Put the registration BX08 LLO into here https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

That is so near a really good reg number.

I'll get me coat.png

Attachments

• I'll get me coat.png
    I'll get me coat.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 272

Duckato

Forum Member
I went to look at this one
https://www.cotswoldscarsandcommercials.co.uk/used-vans/mercedes-benz-sprinter-moreton-in-marsh-201805256858184?utm_source=Cazana.com - Call 020 3137 6567&utm_medium=portal&utm_campaign=BX08LKM

Pros
I really wanted to like it
The box is a composite it looks like a form of Carbon fibre.
The door looks are seriously rioter proof!
It would make a great conversion
It was an Auto!
It had a box for your Tazer!
They were willing to deliver at the asking price.
It has a lovely service history printout

Cons
My john Bull printing set means I can produce a lovely service history printout as well.
I drove over 100 Miles to see it yet there was zero preparation by the dealer it was filthy.
They would not come down on price and I would have needed to put to much into it £9000 was too much!
It has a short MOT remaining and they would not put 12 months on even at the asking price which I thought was a rather odd!
I would have taken a risk and bought it as it stands for £5000 though
Lots of broken bits ,
Significant oil leak under the engine.
None of the potential campery bits I was interested in worked, AC unit looked like it had been robbed out and I could not find a switch to tun on the D2 heater.
SWB with long overhang made it feel really ponderous to drive I didn't like it much at all.
Even without passengers it was heavy and felt like it!
Low back end meant probably nowhere for a tow bar
It was a bit of a heap.
It may only have 60,000 on the clock but It has probably spent 20 hours a day on standby idling!

I bought an Ambulance instead with 86,000 on the clock and it is in superb condition everything works on it and I am really impressed with the Shiftronic box.

this one

https://flic.kr/p/dj2JsM

Last edited:

Darcar

Forum Member
well done, think you made right chose.
if a van doesn't feel right then its best to walk away, you'll never be happy with it. you VW looks great .
have you decided on a lay out yet?
have fun with your build..
Darcar.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)