Merc 709d help

Mr Fox

Hi guys, and girls of course. New to self build campers but been looking into lifestyle change fir a while and decided large ‘base camp’ live aboard with smaller vehicles to pull on an ‘A’ frame, which I have. Just bought an ‘Unfinished project’ I believe to be an ex tool sales van with sliding door passenger side windows and roof vents done although not where I would have put them and the interior of a caravan part fitted. A few mechanicals to sort out, brakes vibrate and steering has a bit too much play, engine seems good and veer ox has a bit of a problem with 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd but I can live with that. It’s still regestered as a 6.6T van and once sorted I will change it so it can have a class 4 MOT.

What I’m looking for is people who’ve converted, had or got this type if Vario and especially anyone who knows good parts suppliers, and possibly if the diff can be changed with a 714d to lower the revs on motorway, 60mph is ok but really needs another gear, although it’s not something I can’t live with. Also how much can it tow on the A frame (a braked one plated at 3.5t) as I have a Landrover which is 2.5t

Thanks and I look forward to your thoughts

Andy

peter palance

oh

Hi guys, and girls of course. New to self build campers but been looking into lifestyle change fir a while and decided large ‘base camp’ live aboard with smaller vehicles to pull on an ‘A’ frame, which I have. Just bought an ‘Unfinished project’ I believe to be an ex tool sales van with sliding door passenger side windows and roof vents done although not where I would have put them and the interior of a caravan part fitted. A few mechanicals to sort out, brakes vibrate and steering has a bit too much play, engine seems good and veer ox has a bit of a problem with 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd but I can live with that. It’s still regestered as a 6.6T van and once sorted I will change it so it can have a class 4 MOT.

What I’m looking for is people who’ve converted, had or got this type if Vario and especially anyone who knows good parts suppliers, and possibly if the diff can be changed with a 714d to lower the revs on motorway, 60mph is ok but really needs another gear, although it’s not something I can’t live with. Also how much can it tow on the A frame (a braked one plated at 3.5t) as I have a Landrover which is 2.5t

Andy
buy a spade and dig deep try your pockets worth every penny,pj

yorkslass

There is a home build section on the forum already, so you might find some ideas in there.

If you look on Motorhomer, a member, Edina, has posted pictures and narrative of his home build, that may give you some idea of what you need to do and where to put stuff.

Another suggestion would be to Google self builds, i think there's lots on there.

Byronic

Andy

First thing is your 709d is the model preceding the Vario. Your engine the 3972cc OM364 the Vario
being the very different 4250cc OM???

Brake vibration, fronts, these are very much like car disc setup ie conventional. Rear, because your van
is the near last of the 'old' model it may have either discs or drums, if drum brakes then renewal is
quite a protracted business (did mine earlier in the year)half shafts out, integral drum and hub off,
riveted linings, special tool for axle nuts.

Axle ratio, yes there is an optional diff. ratio. ups the theoretical top geared speed to 72mph
in lieu of the standard 63mph.But with only 88bhp you'll struggle to get any benefit especially towing.
Merc. have thought this all out, smart those teutons! Don't be tempted to add a turbo, MB do quite
a lot of additional mods when they turbo the OM 364. Not a simple bolt on bodge up.
The pre 1994 vans comprised 510petrol, 508d, 609d, 709d, 711d, 811d, 814d.
The 711d axle had a higher ratio axle but had a massive 108bhp lol, to turn it! If you
could find one this is swappable. The 609d is a higher ratio but a completely different axle swappable
but you'd have to replate due to it's lower load rating. You know that the first numeral be it 6, 7, 8,
is the sum of the 2 axle max. loads, eg on your 709d it's 2.3t on front 4.7t on rear, but total MGVW = 6.6t.

The steering box isn't precise even when new. (Worm and recirc. ball) there is a screw adjustment at the box end secured with a locknut. Wheels need to be off the ground, and steering disconnected, the steering
wears most in the straight ahead position but if you overdo it then it will bind progressively turning to full lock
pays to have a bit of nous doing this, special torque tool needed strictly speaking.
Quite a few service items available on ebay as well as the obvious, search type 'OM 364' for more bits.
The German online motor factors carry quite a few spares, best to make up a decent order postage
£8.45 or so. Also Autodoc. in France.

A member on this site has PM'd me recently asking questions on exactly the same van as yours, I prefer
not to identify him. Perhaps if he reads this he can forward the PMs to you. Could be useful. I've since wiped them....could be incriminating:)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)