LPG vs Diesel heaters for winter travel Pros & cons

workbox

Forum Member
Pros for LPG

1. LPG heaters works quieter in general and there is no ticking noise.

2. Cleaner burning fuel as result require less maintenance.
Emits up to 120 times lesser particulate emissions than diesel, 96 % lesser nitrogen dioxides (NOx) than diesel.

3. Much more reliable in winters.
LPG freezing temp. approx. -188C, diesel start to gel at approx. -10 and at -30C great trouble begins unless use of additives.

4. Can be used for interior heater, water heater, three-way fridge, electricity generator & cooking with variety of appliances to choose from.

5. LPG cost far less to refill.

Pros for Diesel heater.

1. Variable heat output, automatic blow motor speed adjustment.
For better temperature control.

2. Diesel tank not pressurize.

3. Easy to find diesel pumps to refuel.
At the moment who knows what happens after 2030 : )

wildebus

Forum Member
Gas ...

3. running down to -188C. who cares? no real world advantage. if diesel in the tank won't run the heater, it won't run the engine so if it is that cold, will you be in your van anyway?

5. Refilling is cheaper, but if you have a seperate tank for the heater you can refill that for cheaper than LPG

Diesel ...

3. If you can't find a diesel pump to fill your tank, it wouldn't really matter what heater you had would it as you won't to going anywhere? ;)

You make some good points, but you do also state advantages that are irrelevances.

workbox

Forum Member
Gas ...

3. running down to -188C. who cares? no real world advantage. if diesel in the tank won't run the heater, it won't run the engine so if it is that cold, will you be in your van anyway?

Diesel additives sometime fail to keep diesel in liquid form when temperature suddenly drops from e.g. -15 to -40c overnight. So you could stay for couple of days warm and cosy with LPG until temp. gets back to warmer degrees and you restart the journey.
Also sometimes the engine would keep running but diesel heater fail in fuel pipe diesel gets gel.

Diesel ...
3. If you can't find a diesel pump to fill your tank, it wouldn't really matter what heater you had would it as you won't to going anywhere? ;)

Not sure what you mean, some people opt for diesel heater due high availability of diesel pumps/petrol stations vs. LPG filling points.
But Gov. confirm Ban on petrol and diesel vehicles registration after 2030

And looks prices will continue to rise on diesel & petrol.

Last edited:

Squiffy

Forum Member
(1. Variable heat output, automatic blow motor speed adjustment.
For better temperature control)

That also applies to LPG.

So it would seem that the pros of LPG far out wiegh the pros for diesel, but most of all in todays ecologically based society gas is by far the cleaner fuel and the one I will personally use till a better and cleaner fuel arrives like hydrogen which will drive vehicles along and heat them. Hydrogen is is abundant just the technical details on how to store and control it needs to be worked out. Phil

workbox

Forum Member
(1. Variable heat output, automatic blow motor speed adjustment.
For better temperature control)

That also applies to LPG.
Hi Phil,
If I am not mistaken, LPG heaters like propex, whale, truma, works on / off switch controlled by electronic thermostat. Where diesel heater works continuously controlled by electronic thermostat as well by rather reducing heat output to minimum sometimes to full stop.

wildebus

Forum Member
Diesel additives sometime fail to keep diesel in liquid form when temperature suddenly drops from e.g. -15 to -40c overnight. So you could stay for couple of days warm and cosy with LPG until temp. gets back to warmer degrees and you restart the journey.
Also sometimes the engine would keep running but diesel heater fail in fuel pipe diesel gets gel.

Not sure what you mean, some people opt for diesel heater due high availability of diesel pumps/petrol stations vs. LPG filling points.
But Gov. confirm Ban on petrol and diesel vehicles registration after 2030

And looks prices will continue to rise on diesel & petrol.
While you are running a diesel engines vehicle, not availablity of diesel for a heater is a non-issue as when THAT happens you won't be running your engine only. Unless you are working out what to do in 9 years time, Nostradamus?

And tell me .... Have YOU actually been in a situation where YOU have been out for leisure purposes when it has been so cold the fuel waxed and your couldn't start your engine?

workbox

Forum Member
While you are running a diesel engines vehicle, not availablity of diesel for a heater is a non-issue as when THAT happens you won't be running your engine only. Unless you are working out what to do in 9 years time, Nostradamus?

And tell me .... Have YOU actually been in a situation where YOU have been out for leisure purposes when it has been so cold the fuel waxed and your couldn't start your engine?

I used to work in Canada and I saw that issue on a daily basis. Once you get experience of cold temperatures and no heater you wouldn't be so critical. :)

I think couple of years back when we travel to Scandinavia on a campsite lad almost freeze to death crawling underneath campervan trying to fix clogged pipes for diesel heater, I gave him a hand and my wife made us nice cup of tea.

I am not against of diesel heater or LPG, both very good heaters, I just gave few thoughts to this forum perhaps some one find it useful when considering one over another.

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
work .... leisure. Canada ... UK. both very different animals.
not saying you are wrong but keep it in perspective for the requirement.

Squiffy

Forum Member
work .... leisure. Canada ... UK. both very different animals.
not saying you are wrong but keep it in perspective for the requirement.
I think Dave it was Pros and cons, and as presented it is actually the pros and cons, you seem to have put a different conclusion to the post. 🤔 Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
The colder you get propane, the more reluctant it is to leave the cylinder as a gas. Remember the boiling point is -42 deg C Also as you withdrawal the gas the cylinder contents reduces in temperature.

Squiffy

Forum Member
The colder you get propane, the more reluctant it is to leave the cylinder as a gas. Remember the boiling point is -42 deg C Also as you withdrawal the gas the cylinder contents reduces in temperature.
Propane is still volatile to very low temperatures and is the gas of choice during winter and even artic conditions, butane has great difficulties in leaving its storage bottle even at 3-4 degrees centigrade and is far less volatile than propane at any temperature. Hence why propane is used in IC engines and not butane. Phil

mb2tv

Forum Member
Adding my tuppence, it is the new cars with internal combustion engines that are not going to be sold after 2030, not the fuel to run them. I guess that when you will not be able to buy diesel for your car, you will not be able to buy LPG, and as said above, it will not matter any more as you will not be able to go with your van anyway.
My guess, the deadline will be extended, as the industry is nowhere near to be able to replace the IC engine (both design and infrastructure !)

mistericeman

Forum Member
Adding my tuppence, it is the new cars with internal combustion engines that are not going to be sold after 2030, not the fuel to run them. I guess that when you will not be able to buy diesel for your car, you will not be able to buy LPG, and as said above, it will not matter any more as you will not be able to go with your van anyway.
My guess, the deadline will be extended, as the industry is nowhere near to be able to replace the IC engine (both design and infrastructure !)

Not forgetting that diesel heaters will also run on heating oil/parrafin/etc etc....

Diesel heating Will be my choice for a good while yet...

workbox

Forum Member

I agree that after 2030 reduction of IC engines begins and as result price of diesel/petrol will gradually increase.
However LPG is low emission fuel and used in variety of appliances not related to IC engines and in theory low price should survive for longer...

mistericeman

Forum Member
I
I agree that after 2030 reduction of IC engines begins and as result price of diesel/petrol will gradually increase.
However LPG is low emission fuel and used in variety of appliances not related to IC engines and in theory low price should survive for longer...
LPG may... Or may not still be available BUT it will also go up in price...
Not to mention the shrinkage in the availability of bulk fill options...
Pre filled bottles are already ridiculously expensive and likely will only get worse.

I run 2 refillable bottles but will be looking to reduce useage of those by swapping our 3 way fridge for 12v comp type, heating by diesel eberspacher leaving only the odd bit of cooking on gas.

mark61

Forum Member
Current van has diesel heater. Still can't make up my mind for the next one, not that there will be a next one soon so have plenty of time to umm and ahh. I have been considering going all diesel, although I can see the advantages of LPG.

Diesel heater in earlier vehicle worked at -47, if it weren't for a diesel pre heater I doubt the van would have started. If you have a really large tank, don't head up north with diesel bought down south :)

Haven't been to temps as low as that in current van, and don't intend too. :LOL:

workbox

Forum Member
Pre filled bottles are already ridiculously expensive and likely will only get worse.

I run 2 refillable bottles but will be looking to reduce usage of those by swapping our 3 way fridge for 12v comp type, heating by diesel eberspacher leaving only the odd bit of cooking on gas.

Big No for pre filled bottles rip off. But if you would have refillable bottle as of today 0.65p per liter.

lpg_priceApril5.png

mistericeman

Forum Member
Big No for pre filled bottles rip off. But if you would have refillable bottle as of today 0.65p per liter.

View attachment 3713

58p per litre at my local stop...

Screenshot_20210406-142504_Earth.jpg

However I still find diesel cheaper and more convenient for our useage
(having had eberspachers and propex in the past) in real world situations (we are regularly away in the UK winters and the eberspacher is often running 24/7 for 2 weeks or so)

When I built our previous van all our cooking was Electric via inverter/solar/split charge and heating was eberspacher....

Swapping to our now C class was a huge retrograde step power wise.... (little more than a 1970s caravan on a chassis cab)

However I'm slowly sorting that with, solar and, better battery bank/management

Squiffy

Forum Member
Just come back and filled up ready for next weekend 54p at my local bulk supper Cardiff gas in Barry. Phil

That's for the public off the street I buy £100 a time so my LPG is reduced to 51p I think, it has two pumps one in the yard and one outside to which those of us that prepay have a key. 24 hrs 😉

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)