LPG tank shortage.

Bouydog

Forum Member
Having finally deciding to fit an underslung tank as opposed to refillable cylinders I set about ordering one this morning. My ideal was 55 litres but none to be found out of stock everywhere same story with most sizes. Finally found a 38 litre at the lpg shop in Leicester so nabbed that one. Don't know if this is brexit or covid related but assume the majority come from overseas.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Having finally deciding to fit an underslung tank as opposed to refillable cylinders I set about ordering one this morning. My ideal was 55 litres but none to be found out of stock everywhere same story with most sizes. Finally found a 38 litre at the lpg shop in Leicester so nabbed that one. Don't know if this is brexit or covid related but assume the majority come from overseas.
One thing that should be good is that you will be able to use any brand of propane. Also using a BBQ connection or the like you should be able to add a portable cylinder as a reserve. Personally I've tried to move away from gas and only using a gas cooker now.

Bouydog

Forum Member
I use gas for cooking, water heating and bbq. So had planned a gas point for the bbq, but not thought of using it as supply from a cylinder 👍👍

Squiffy

Forum Member
Nearly all under slung tanks are made in Poland. If you really wanted a 55ltr going onto the Polish websites would probably have got you delivered one in a week and probably cheaper than buying in UK. Phil.

Bouydog

Forum Member
Nearly all under slung tanks are made in Poland. If you really wanted a 55ltr going onto the Polish websites would probably have got you delivered one in a week and probably cheaper than buying in UK. Phil.
I have no doubt you are probably correct. I chose 55 litres just going by the tank dimensions knowing it would fit. Having bought a generator on line in February with a delivery date end of March and having to ask for and getting a refund in May due to non delivery has put me off relying on Company promises, the 38litre tank was in stock bought it in the morning and luckily with them being so close picked it up in the afternoon with all fittings.
Any problems during fitting or use they are only half an hour away.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Agreed, if its there it's a lot more purchasable, however I have found the Poles to be very trustworthy and quick to deliver what ever the article. Motor vehicle spares being just one of them, I.e. Mercedes genuine parts are half the price in Poland than they are in UK so bare this in mind next time.e you require something out of the ordinary 😁👍. Phil

Though to be fair I haven't ordered anything since Brexit but knowing the Poles as I do it won't have coloured their furver to continue business.

wildebus

Forum Member
Agreed, if its there it's a lot more purchasable, however I have found the Poles to be very trustworthy and quick to deliver what ever the article. Motor vehicle spares being just one of them, I.e. Mercedes genuine parts are half the price in Poland than they are in UK so bare this in mind next time.e you require something out of the ordinary 😁👍. Phil

Though to be fair I haven't ordered anything since Brexit but knowing the Poles as I do it won't have coloured their furver to continue business.
When I was looking for a pair of replacement Captains Seats for my VW T5, I found an near-new immaculate pair of T5 Caravelle Seats from a Polish seller at a much nicer price than the regular UK seller that was the traditional "go to " place.

Nabsim

Forum Member
The problem at the moment buying direct is the carrier holds it up when it enters the U.K. until import duty, vat, taxes etc are sorted out. Earlier this year it was hard to get some Victron parts for a while, they were in the U.K. but was knocking on two months before they got released.
The lpg tank shortage is a combination of Brexit and Covid but it’s become very hard to source them in the first place due to a worldwide shortage of steel. That was the situation about a month ago anyway 👍

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
We are lucky and have an import/export license. At times we have had to use our courier to collect from overseas to get around local silliness. The world has changed, but you have to adapt to it.

Nabsim

Forum Member
We are lucky and have an import/export license. At times we have had to use our courier to collect from overseas to get around local silliness. The world has changed, but you have to adapt to it.
Courier is probably a good business to be at the moment as there is a shortage of containers as well. Saying that the courier has to become the tax collector so maybe not as good in practice lol
Can you do it differently having the import/export license or do you now have to be the tac collector with goods entering from the EU?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
We are also vat registered, so don’t pay vat on imports. Though we collect the vat for free when we sell products or services. There is still import duty (sometimes) but it seems to be made up as they process it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)