Lighting setup

wildebus

Forum Member
I did an electrics setup for a lady who is doing her own self-build on a VW T5.

One of the things she wanted to have was some zone lighting in the van based around small ceiling lights which were also dimmable.

So what I came up with is the following which I think will work quite well and I checked it out in the workshop and it works as planned (bonus!)

The idea is to have 3 pairs of lights, with each pair having its own on/off switch. The whole set will then also be controllable via a master switch so you can turn all the lights off in one flick of a switch.
I used one of these 2 x 2 switch sets - http://wildebus.com/product/cbe-mounted-switch/ - and replaced one of the switches from black to red to identify it as the master (this fits into a standard CBE frame and integrates nicely with the USB and 12V devices that are being installed)
1614795174438.png

There will be a master dimmer that controls the intensity of all the lights and this is on a wireless RF remote so can be used anywhere in or even around the van.
To save the trickle current of the remote receiver, it is fitted between the master On/Off switch and the individual switches, so turning the master switch off cuts power to the remote as well. That works well as the remote receiver always remembers the last mode setting and doesn't need power to save that. (If you had a remote that forgot, you might want to fit it between the power supply and the master switch so it always has power).

So that is how it is meant to work - this is a little video while I was testing it on the bench (the camera on the phone automatically changes exposure when I change the dim setting so ignore that effect - you get a better idea by looking at the light pattern of the LEDs in the Puck Lights).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)