Large campervan

Ptrobson

Forum Member
Considering ditching caravan and car and replacing with a sprinter or crafter xlwb. Has anyone done similar?

mb2tv

Forum Member
Have a car and a caravan... Car will probably stay but decided to move to a campervan - building on a Crafter MWB. We know it will be smaller, but ready to adopt that change.
Main reason is we think we want to change the 'style' of travel - with a caravan you stay more in one location, with MH you can move much easier. Went for MWB as it can be parked in many more places ( size is closer to a car).

wildebus

Forum Member
Thanks for reply. We are a family of 5 so only option is an xlwb as need 5 seats and five beds
My last convertion was a LWB VW LT, so same as the previous Sprinter in dimensions. I used it mostly on my own and occasionally with partner, at which times I put out the awning and Safari Room.
I couldn't imagine using a vehicle that size with a family of 5, I must admit.

mistericeman

Forum Member
We had a Transit Jumbo (XLWB extra high top...)

Me and the other half and 2 dogs....

I wouldn't have wanted anyone else along as it would have been bordering on claustrophobic even WITH it being a, mostly open layout (just fixed double at the rear).
5 folks in it on a rainy day just doesn't bear thinking about personally.

Millie Master

Forum Member
On the one hand, as an ex tugger of 30+ years, it is a fantastic and oh so relieving to drive off on holiday in your self built campervan, but just as others will tell you, there are some very important compromise decisions to be made.

The one thing I would suggest it dropping the idea of converting either of your suggested vans, as unless you are planning to buy the very latest model I am afraid to say that they are known to suffer badly from the dreaded tin worm and over the years there have been countless stories of people, having spent £0000's converting them, only for them to become yet another rust related MOT failure!

On the other hand, have you considered looking at or buying the easiest van of all to convert, namely the XLWB Fiat Ducato/Citroen Relay/Peugeot Boxer (known in these circles as the Sevel vans) which have some enormous advantages such as, they are the widest standard panel van on the market, they have the squarest, most vertical sides and although not a Sprinter to drive, the driving experience isn't all that bad and in high roof H3 form they are highly suitable for bunks or additional storage room. However their greatest advantage over the dear old Sprinter/Crafter is that all of these Sevel vans came with fully dip galvanised bodies from 2007 onwards, as such they don''t normally rust!

Phil

Ptrobson

Forum Member
On the one hand, as an ex tugger of 30+ years, it is a fantastic and oh so relieving to drive off on holiday in your self built campervan, but just as others will tell you, there are some very important compromise decisions to be made.

The one thing I would suggest it dropping the idea of converting either of your suggested vans, as unless you are planning to buy the very latest model I am afraid to say that they are known to suffer badly from the dreaded tin worm and over the years there have been countless stories of people, having spent £0000's converting them, only for them to become yet another rust related MOT failure!

On the other hand, have you considered looking at or buying the easiest van of all to convert, namely the XLWB Fiat Ducato/Citroen Relay/Peugeot Boxer (known in these circles as the Sevel vans) which have some enormous advantages such as, they are the widest standard panel van on the market, they have the squarest, most vertical sides and although not a Sprinter to drive, the driving experience isn't all that bad and in high roof H3 form they are highly suitable for bunks or additional storage room. However their greatest advantage over the dear old Sprinter/Crafter is that all of these Sevel vans came with fully dip galvanised bodies from 2007 onwards, as such they don''t normally rust!

Phil
Thanks. I think the issue is their vans under 7m I think 5 in that space will be a real squeeze for layout I want.

wildebus

Forum Member
There is a recent trend in the large PVCs to add a pop-top on the high-roof vans to provide additional sleeping accomodation. family of 5 in a van the size of a .... well, van .... that might well be worth while investigating.

Given we are into November, I would look to go to the Motorhome show at the NEC in Feb next year and check out all the various layouts to steal ideas before commiting myself :)

Red Dwarf

Forum Member
I’ve done a cheapo conversion on a Sprinter XLWB. My reasons:

Wanted a big fixed bed.
At 6’4” I can stand up in it!
The base van was relatively cheap (the overriding factor).
It’s rear wheel drive.

I moved up from years of owning various VW campers. Aching bones pushed me towards a big PVC and I don’t have to start assembling furniture when I want a kip! Admittedly, the conversion is built just for the two of us, though the wee granddaughter can comfortably bed down on the seating in the living area. Also, kept the three seater cab so the little perisher could come along.
Yes, old sprinters do rot, though I suspect my fourteen year old van will outlast me!

trevskoda

Forum Member
Takes this for 4 with compy room to move around and sleep/cook etc. forward from beds.jpgkitchen side.jpgvan to back.jpgkearny a.jpgview point b.jpg

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
The pop top sounds the best idea if for 5.
Get yourself and partner up there in the poptop and pull in the ladder. Let the stowaways to fend for themselfs. I don't care, the youngest is still in nappies. F#ck #ff and keep the nosie down.!

Greggbear67

Forum Member
Thanks for reply. We are a family of 5 so only option is an xlwb as need 5 seats and five beds
When did you pass your test? If you have 7.5t entitlement, the obvious choice is a bigger vehicle. A small truck type vehicle, or a larger minibus would be my choice, heavier built components plus more room. Overall size isn't a problem most of the time, & its a small price to pay for the extra room for 5 bodies. I built a 5.5ton welfare bus with wide body for full size bed across the back, & even tho I'm on my own most of the time, I wouldn't really want anything smaller....
IMG_20210707_151602.jpg

Drives as easily as a small one, but plenty room & cheaper to tax than a transit....

trevskoda

Forum Member
When did you pass your test? If you have 7.5t entitlement, the obvious choice is a bigger vehicle. A small truck type vehicle, or a larger minibus would be my choice, heavier built components plus more room. Overall size isn't a problem most of the time, & its a small price to pay for the extra room for 5 bodies. I built a 5.5ton welfare bus with wide body for full size bed across the back, & even tho I'm on my own most of the time, I wouldn't really want anything smaller....View attachment 4806
Drives as easily as a small one, but plenty room & cheaper to tax than a transit....
Get that back tyre pumped up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)