Lamp conversion to LED

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
A very simple job if you are still running fluorescent tubes. Clean the housing of all the electrics and replace with sticky back LED strips.
These lamps only had one tube and a festoon bulb so the savings on power were not wonderful, about 2 watts.
I've done it before on older twin tube ones and the saving was much better.
Despite the small saving, the light is much brighter.

IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
The light output of an LED is measured in Lumens. They also have a colour temperature. The higher the temp, the more like daylight

Nabsim

Forum Member
I have a twin fluorescent over the bed that I was going to convert, when I checked power though there was little to be gained by changing to led so I left it. Rarely used anyway and if I do want it on it’s bright. Going to leave it until it dies

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I have a twin fluorescent over the bed that I was going to convert, when I checked power though there was little to be gained by changing to led so I left it. Rarely used anyway and if I do want it on it’s bright. Going to leave it until it dies
You can have whatever luminance you like. Generally speaking, less light less current.

Bouydog

Forum Member
A very simple job if you are still running fluorescent tubes. Clean the housing of all the electrics and replace with sticky back LED strips.
These lamps only had one tube and a festoon bulb so the savings on power were not wonderful, about 2 watts.
I've done it before on older twin tube ones and the saving was much better.
Despite the small saving, the light is much brighter.

View attachment 2766View attachment 2767
If you need any more of those tubed light units I have around a dozen removed from my conversion.

trevskoda

Forum Member
These are very simple and can be mounted inside some older type lamps,or by themselves,i use them in boats,£2.50 each.
flosy a.jpg
flosy b.jpg
strip lights.jpg

Nabsim

Forum Member
Got a couple similar Trev but either 72 or 74 leds, very bright. One on each sofa for if Caz is doing craft stuff or we need bright light. Think mine were around a tenner each

wildebus

Forum Member
in terms of brightness, most modern LEDs are now dimmable without any flicker, which is very handy.
I don't know if fluoresent fittings can be dimmed? I don't think CFLs usually can be.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
If you need any more of those tubed light units I have around a dozen removed from my conversion.
Thanks for the offer, but what I have will do. The bases are quite slim fitting so I can have insulation behind them. The diffusers stick out a little more than I like, but if they become a problem I’ll mould some slim ones.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I guess they can’t all be bad, but the short life of some of these after market light fittings drives me into a frenzy wanting to attack them and the seller with a hammer.

I guess if the mood grabbed me I could install a dimmer circuit, but I do have the choice of the high luminance strips or use the festoons.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)