Iveco Daily self Build

AuldTam

I'm thinking of buying a 2011 Iveco Daily 2.3 high roof as my next self build project. Has anyone already done one? Any advice, knowledge, opinions appreciated.

Debs

Forum Member
I did my 2007 Iveco, and the pictures are in "SHOW US YOUR VAN" section. Iveco only do rear wheel drive, and that has got me out of a couple of near ones, where all around ,others were being towed off! Got to admit that although its not the newest van I've had, it's certainly been the best one.:drive:

Debs

Forum Member
If you do source an Iveco, and you want to replace the twin passenger seat for a single, a drivers seat will fit straight in, and you would need to sort the passenger seat warning light on the dash, which is what I had to do.

AuldTam

Ive got/done a lwb twin wheel.40 c 14.
Rod

The thing that attracted me most was the 6ft width at bed height meaning I can fit a bed transversely. I'm 5' 8" the wife's 5' 6" so perfect for us.

ashbyspannerman

Is it the one in your profile pic? looks like a Serco prison van, I've just brought one myself!

Rodeo

Re transverse bed..remember that too thick insulation at head and foot of bed shortens the bed length.We are 5' 6" ,so bed length turned out ok,but I was considering widening the area by making the body panels wider at head and foot,could do it ,but cant be bothered with the hassle tbh.
Rod

AuldTam

Is it the one in your profile pic? looks like a Serco prison van, I've just brought one myself!

Yes it is! I couldn't believe the kit that comes with these buses. Okay there is a little stripping out to do and probably some rewiring but it's worth it for the head start.

They do come with high mileage but I've just driven mine back to Glasgow from Wisbech. The triptronic gearbox is amazing.

The first thing I will need to overcome is the back door locks, can't be opened from the inside at the moment. Have you done yours yet?

AuldTam

Re transverse bed..remember that too thick insulation at head and foot of bed shortens the bed length.We are 5' 6" ,so bed length turned out ok,but I was considering widening the area by making the body panels wider at head and foot,could do it ,but cant be bothered with the hassle tbh.
Rod

The bus I've bought has already been insulated and a washable plastic finish on top. I've measured it at 71" remaining, but as you say once the mattress etc is in place it will reduce a little more.

I best get a short back and sides tomorrow, that might help too ?

ashbyspannerman

Yes it is! I couldn't believe the kit that comes with these buses. Okay there is a little stripping out to do and probably some rewiring but it's worth it for the head start.

They do come with high mileage but I've just driven mine back to Glasgow from Wisbech. The triptronic gearbox is amazing.

The first thing I will need to overcome is the back door locks, can't be opened from the inside at the moment. Have you done yours yet?

Not started on mine yet, itching to get on it but other commitments mean it will be a while, there was a buzzer going off continually when i test drove it, found it above the cab along with loads of new stuff to play with! Gotta get the terminology right it's the 'Agile' gearbox in the Iveco! Drove mine back from Peterborough yesterday, not as epic a first trip as you as i live in Leicestershire!
They do have a lot of stuff already sorted, I'm not sure yet whether I will stick with the interior lining or redo it in wood as that always feels warmer to me! I've had by big yellow Iveco for over ten years now and I cannot fault it, if this new one is anywhere near as good I can't go wrong! At least it being a 4.3 tonner I will have more payload as I always worry about my weight in the present one. I was pleasently surprised to find it didn't have a speed limiter, I thought all vans over 3.5 tonnes were supposed to be limited now.

Byronic

I realise this is an accountants (which I'm not) viewpoint of things but still;

Before doing anything I would make a few forecasts such as how long I would realistically intend keeping the van, and work my budget out on that basis. It's very easy to overcapitalise on DIY conversions.

As an example you may buy a van for say £10000 spend £10000 on a high spec. conversion and then try to sell it a year or 2 later and only realise £15000, with nothing back for your labour. Over 5 years this would be more acceptable.

Plenty of part finished vans on eBay where people have spent £5000 on the van and put +£5000 of solar panels and high spec electrical equipment only to sell as a part built for £6000. Completing the van may only be a matter of a few small jobs, and if they had bothered to do them may have added value and the van realises £8000.

Deleted member 951

Before doing anything I would make a few forecasts such as how long I would realistically intend keeping the van, and work my budget out on that basis. It's very easy to overcapitalise on DIY conversions.

As an example you may buy a van for say £10000 spend £10000 on a high spec. conversion and then try to sell it a year or 2 later and only realise £15000, with nothing back for your labour. Over 5 years this would be more acceptable.

Plenty of part finished vans on eBay where people have spent £5000 on the van and put +£5000 of solar panels and high spec electrical equipment only to sell as a part built for £6000. Completing the van may only be a matter of a few small jobs, and if they had bothered to do them may have added value and the van realises £8000.

I agree.

We intend to keep our new van for as many years as possible. Doing our own conversion does mean that we will get the layout we want, but also consider that there will have to be compromises.

AuldTam

Totally agree with this, my last self build I changed layout 3 times during the five years I had it, finally got it the way that suited us best. Only reason I sold it was because it had manual transmission, I have arthritis in both knees now and was told to either dive up driving or buy an automatic. As you are probably aware secondhand auto transmission vans are as rare as hens teeth.

These buses come with AGile transmission, air con both cab and rear, diesel night heaters,split charge system, 2 aux batteries, led lighting, immobiliser and alarm, fully insulated and covered with a washable plastic, electric fan in the roof, CD player, DVD player + rear screen. The rear seats are on tracking, so easily removed. They have cctv cameras built into the roof cab and rear, okay for a prison van but a bit pervy for a Campervan.

My plan is to do the basic DVLA requirements and change the classification to motor caravan within the 60 days my insurance company allows, after which I will redo the layout to suit or needs best.

Byronic

Totally agree with this, my last self build I changed layout 3 times during the five years I had it, finally got it the way that suited us best. Only reason I sold it was because it had manual transmission, I have arthritis in both knees now and was told to either dive up driving or buy an automatic. As you are probably aware secondhand auto transmission vans are as rare as hens teeth.

These buses come with AGile transmission, air con both cab and rear, diesel night heaters,split charge system, 2 aux batteries, led lighting, immobiliser and alarm, fully insulated and covered with a washable plastic, electric fan in the roof, CD player, DVD player + rear screen. The rear seats are on tracking, so easily removed. They have cctv cameras built into the roof cab and rear, okay for a prison van but a bit pervy for a Campervan.

My plan is to do the basic DVLA requirements and change the classification to motor caravan within the 60 days my insurance company allows, after which I will redo the layout to suit or needs best.

Sounds like a plan possibly a cunning one, bearing in mind the Taxpayer has taken the financial hit on all that equipment:)
60 days isn't a lot of time, but should be plenty if contemplating just enough to comply with M/C Classification. Don't forget to take plenty of pics, easy to forget what's behind what you've just spent hours installing.

Rodeo

My bus has a speed limiter.I enquired at local Iveco dealer to have it removed. £60 not bad I suppose.I forgot about getting it done ,and went to France etc .TBH I havent noticed its there,as we only tend to travel at 60MPH tops anyway.

AuldTam

Sounds like a plan possibly a cunning one, bearing in mind the Taxpayer has taken the financial hit on all that equipment:)
60 days isn't a lot of time, but should be plenty if contemplating just enough to comply with M/C Classification. Don't forget to take plenty of pics, easy to forget what's behind what you've just spent hours installing.

The guy I bought it from said he had been told they cost £50k+ when new, but maybe just sales talk.

I stripped out the rear cage today, under a storage box I found a mass of electronics, a 90Ah gel battery and an airtronic d2 diesel night heater. The retro fitted air con is located in the space between the cab ceiling and the van roof, it looks an expensive piece of kit. It serves both the cab area and the rear of the van, I'm not sure yet wether it runs even when the engine is switched off, I have a feeling it might.

Byronic

The guy I bought it from said he had been told they cost £50k+ when new, but maybe just sales talk.

I stripped out the rear cage today, under a storage box I found a mass of electronics, a 90Ah gel battery and an airtronic d2 diesel night heater. The retro fitted air con is located in the space between the cab ceiling and the van roof, it looks an expensive piece of kit. It serves both the cab area and the rear of the van, I'm not sure yet wether it runs even when the engine is switched off, I have a feeling it might.

I wouldn't be at all surprised at £50k, after all a low/mid range coachbuilt or pro built PVC will cost around that.

Myself even with a decent payload I would still keep things as light as possible, no MDF for a start, always good to have spare capacity for later mods. and adaptions, a fairly comprehensively equipped mid size van conversion can easily add 800kg. to a bare van. Worth getting a weighing to get an idea on what you have to work with?

AuldTam

I wouldn't be at all surprised at £50k, after all a low/mid range coachbuilt or pro built PVC will cost around that.

Myself even with a decent payload I would still keep things as light as possible, no MDF for a start, always good to have spare capacity for later mods. and adaptions, a fairly comprehensively equipped mid size van conversion can easily add 800kg. to a bare van. Worth getting a weighing to get an idea on what you have to work with?

I never thought of it that way, good tip I will get it weighed when I strip the cages out. They are really heavy, still inside the van at the moment I will need to wait for my son to visit to help move them.

I already have some 15mm lightweight ply board, I think it's called Moreland.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)