is 7 metres to long for rural europe ? Need help with van dimensions

nomadichobbit

I'm initially planning on spending six months plus exploring europe solo, and then considering full-timing. I'm really tempted by a spacious van so I don't get cabin fever, and can do winters cooped up in the van too.

I'm drawn to the longer vans and shortlisted the jumbo transit (6.7m length) and the Sprinter ELWB (6.9m) as both are narrower which is better on windy mountain roads. I hope to do the latter a fair bit, as well as small villages. Main plan is to spend a lot of time in the southern France.

Is 6.9 metres just too long, and would I be better of with 6metres? I really don't want to get stuck on a mountain road ! Or get stuck turning in narrow villages.

Thanks
PS ruled out the Relays, Citroens, Ducato as they seem a bit too wide

Deleted member 1540

I have travelled extensively in France, Spain and Portugal in my 7.75m long coachbuilt.

Width is much more of an issue than length so I think the Sprinter would be just fine.

Jays

Don’t be worried about cabin fever, the weather will be warmer, in the winter you will get at least 2 hours more daylight per day.
Just spend your days outside walking and exploring the areas you are stopped at then as it gets dark cook your meal read and have a glass of local wine.
Useing your iPad to plan the next day.
The narrower the van the better, the larger watch your payload !

helen262

I spent over 8 years doing European courier work with a sprinter xlwb, 7.2 metres with out any problems

Deleted member 36

To be honest and no disrespect, but if a person needs to ask if 7 metre is too large, then it probably is for that person!

Nesting Zombie

I certainly agree with what’s already been said in respect of Width being more a consideration than Lengh, There are some tight spots in some of the Older Villages.

iampatman

I wouldn’t worry too much, ours is only 6.27M long but 2.4 wide with a long overhang at the back. Fortunately there’s a great motor home repair shop in Thessaloniki. It’s true what folk say, a narrow van is better but if you buy a decent Satnav then you can input your vehicle dimensions and you should avoid “tight” situations. We’ve been in some sticky situations in France and Greece especially but reversing back down a narrow road for 200 metres with everybody shouting advice or insults at you all adds to the fun. My rule of thumb is if I see a bus stop on the side of a tarmac road its ok. If its not tarmac then its an adventure. You’ll be fine in a 7M van.

Enjoy your travels,

Pat

n brown

Forum Member
bin lorries, delivery vans , milk tankers and buses etc etc all service these little villages. i can't believe you've dismissed the sevel vans because of 6 inches . galvanised body and room to sleep across.
there's a simple rule . if you feel you're too big for a track/road , either reconnoitre on foot /bike ,or go round it

Jo001

We use a satnav programmed with the dimensions of the vehicle. It may have saved our marriage.

Pauljenny

If you are confident and used to driving a long van, you should be OK.
Just bear in mind that urban parking might not be too simple.
Tescos, Lidl ... etc.

Tim120

A decent satnav with dimensions can help although not guaranteed, we have had some interesting driver/co-driver challenges arise despite having a satnav with dimensions and weight. Will say I know it has put us right far more often than the odd occasion it has put us wrong.

If you went in.... then you can come out.... take your time, ask for help if need be.

We have a Ducato and it has never been a problem widthwise or lengthwse (8M). We have parked and taken time to check on foot parts of a journey, and decide if it is ok.

Transit :scared::scared::scared:

From what I have read it is common knowledge they are the ones that are easy to steal so maybe not Transit based if possible.

jagmanx

We are

6.5m long and "full width",

As has been posted width is more of a problem than length.

But we manage fine and the extra width compared with narrower vehicles suits us.

I understand the reason for wanting narrower so whatever suits you best.
Layout and bed arrangements more important

1 We have a fixed rear bed

2 our lounge dining area is light and airy with windows on both sides and the front (windscreen and cab door windows)

Suits us
Others prefer different !

We use MoHo for 6 months all summer.
Worth taking the views of other full-timers.

Personally we would not want to full time all winter because of the shorter days (even in Spain) but many do !
We are fortunate (well-organised) in that we have a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mul

My advice ...

Have a look at Piccys in books of Carthago's, Morella's and Big un's In Camperstop, aires books etc up all the mountain passes, Rhone Alps, Pyrenees etc.

No we did 6 months in 7.5m. You'll be fine. Just be sensible especially in rural.Portugal (be othere spots as well) with wee narrow streets in some villages.

Enjoy your buy & good luck.

Bigger van, just think of all the extra things ya can pack that you'll never use ! :)

Chrz Mul

Nesting Zombie

When I first had The Nest (8ft wide mirror tip to Mirror tip, 30ft Long Bumper To Bumper & 11ft High To Flue top) I went from Inverness to Pamplona in Spain then Carcasone in France before returning to Bristol via A trip around Cornwall...
Cornwall was as bad as any other of the places I visited for tight squeezes!. But all was doable some places I really shouldn’t have tried though.

Deleted member 36

Further to what I said earlier in the thread, I agree that width can be more of a problem than length, but don't forget height and tail end swing. Both of these can also be more of a problem than length!
One thing that amazes me, is the very silly long mirror arms fitted to most M/H's, even on my narrow Hymer Exsis!
Obviously the manufacture can't be bothered to specify shorter arms from the case vehicle builder.

mark61

Forum Member
Depends what you mean by explore, :p but if theres tarmac down you'll be fine in all the panel vans you mention, including the Sevel vans in 90% of places. Most of the passes in the alps have very generous length restrictions although I do remember 1 with a 4.5M restriction. Still do able though ;)

The ELWB Sprinter is just over 7.3 M long, LWB is just over 6.9M

mark61

Forum Member
This bloke has some good vids of places to explore in the alps in LWB Sprinter :)

[video=youtube_share;-fpmXWRtCro]https://youtu.be/-fpmXWRtCro[/video]

Nesting Zombie

Further to what I said earlier in the thread, I agree that width can be more of a problem than length, but don't forget height and tail end swing. Both of these can also be more of a problem than length!
One thing that amazes me, is the very silly long mirror arms fitted to most M/H's, even on my narrow Hymer Exsis!
Obviously the manufacture can't be bothered to specify shorter arms from the case vehicle builder.

Yeah I was VERY thankful that my Wingmirror Tips only stand about 3inch proud of the actual Coachworks either side.

izwozral

Inputting your vehicles dimensions into the satnav is fine - up to a point! We have been caught out by low hanging branches and hedgerows that haven't been cut back for years. The road width and height were in the satnavs inputted parameters, it just couldn't 'see' the obstacles!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)