Internal vs External Storage

wildebus

Forum Member
Having moved from a PVC, where all storage is essentially internal, to a Motorhome, where there are numerous external lockers as well as internal storage, I am finding having the external storage very handy, as it means I can, as an inherently untidy person, manage that bad habit at least a little bit better!
For example, shortly after I got the Motorhome, I went off site to do a electrics update setup on an Autosleeper - and being a fair old distance in a remote location and an overnighter, I had to make sure I had all the tools I could possibly need with me - and I managed to fit everything (including new products for the customer) in the external lockers rather than cluttering up the inside.

That has left me in a slight quandary now. I will be fitting two new batteries in a week or so and the battery compartment is outside. The batteries selected will fit there of course, but I am thinking I could put them inside (where they would be safer, warmer and closer for connections) and make the external locker available for other random stuff that I might prefer to keep outside?
Really am not sure which way to go for this :unsure:

mistericeman

Forum Member
Having moved from a PVC, where all storage is essentially internal, to a Motorhome, where there are numerous external lockers as well as internal storage, I am finding having the external storage very handy, as it means I can, as an inherently untidy person, manage that bad habit at least a little bit better!
For example, shortly after I got the Motorhome, I went off site to do a electrics update setup on an Autosleeper - and being a fair old distance in a remote location and an overnighter, I had to make sure I had all the tools I could possibly need with me - and I managed to fit everything (including new products for the customer) in the external lockers rather than cluttering up the inside.

That has left me in a slight quandary now. I will be fitting two new batteries in a week or so and the battery compartment is outside. The batteries selected will fit there of course, but I am thinking I could put them inside (where they would be safer, warmer and closer for connections) and make the external locker available for other random stuff that I might prefer to keep outside?
Really am not sure which way to go for this :unsure:

I stuck ours under one of the dinette seats.... Close to where most of the electrical systems live in the back of the wardrobe...
Keeps them warmer in winter and it's an awkward space to get at (seat cushions off to lift lid) ill also be removing the one in the under floor compartment and fitting the eberspacher in there.

Just about to head to Alpha batteries to replace the 4/5 year old flooded lead acid batteries and replacing them with 3 of these...

Nabsim

Forum Member
Originally my batteries were located in an outside locker but a previous owner moved them inside under one of the sofas. This suits me even more now I have Lifepo4 as very unlikely to get cold temperature problems.
I have lots of outside lockers but that of course means I have to fill them, you wouldn’t believe what I carry sometimes lol.
I was amazed when a mate bought himself a new Bolero and it had no outside storage lockers (not external access to inside areas actual lockers). That new Hymer Charlie had didn’t have any either. Not sure if it’s because chassis are different on newer ones or not

Phantom

Forum Member
Ours are in the garage, best place for them as we are comfortably using all of the internal storage without it being crammed. Maybe if you loaded it like for along trip and see what room is left if any?

wildebus

Forum Member
I stuck ours under one of the dinette seats.... Close to where most of the electrical systems live in the back of the wardrobe...
Keeps them warmer in winter and it's an awkward space to get at (seat cushions off to lift lid) ill also be removing the one in the under floor compartment and fitting the eberspacher in there.
I made mockups of the batteries (a lot easier than lugging actual batteries around!), along with boxes representing the other components being fitted (B2B, Solar, Multiplus and Victron Cerbo) and laid them out in the space I am considering using internally ...
1602933133861.png

The other bits of kit take up more room than the batteries!
There would be a removable shelf to sit above the Multiplus for the other devices to mount onto.

I think using the internal space as shown for the Batteries will make the best sense as it keeps everything together and that corner area is generally awkward to access for the kind of reasons given by Mistericeman (had to remove all the cushions, backs and lift the base up to access this as shown. There is a front hinged door but that doesn't allow easy access to the sides, just the middle).

As a side benefit, I can pretty well add this as an "auxiliary" setup and very easily incorporate into and also reinstate the original configuration, which could be handy.

Bouydog

Forum Member
Mine were in an outside locker when it was a library I moved them inside to free the locker up so I could keep stuff like wellies spare cassette etc out of hab area.
They now live under a bench with all the other electrical components.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Having looked at a very large number of 'flimsy' motorhomes over the years, the strength or to be more precise the structural weakness of any and all of the garage walls is something that causes me at least a lot of concern, on safety grounds alone!

So if you are storing anything heavy, such as batteries or worse still motorbikes in these large under bed (or similar) garage areas, I implore you to make certain that they are very securely lashed down to tie down points which are attached to the chassis.

The most dangerous and bonkers I ever saw was avisitor with a 3 axle motorhome with a stonking enormous garage at the back inside which he had a 1200cc Suzuki touring bike which was secured in place by a series of bungi strapes and just one ratchet strap. Heaven knows what would have happened in an emergency stop let alone an accident!

Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)