I can't see this all electric panel van will be of any interest to us self builders!!!

Millie Master

Forum Member
I can't see this all electric panel van will be of any interest to us self builders!!

1.jpg

Millie Master

Forum Member
You’re right, though the next generation of builders might not have the option!

However and as far as I am concerned, I feel absolutely certain that electric isn't the way to go as the batteries are so damned expensive to produce, added to which being that most of their raw materials come from sources which are either Chinese or from countries where China has a major trading control over.
Over the years there have been several highly efficient and easy to produce eco friendly fuels, but it would seem that just as soon as they are invented one of the major oil conglomerates goes and buys up the patents and almost immediately after that, nothing more is heard of them!!

I for one will never buy a hybrid or fully electric vehicle.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I for one will never buy a hybrid or fully electric vehicle.
[/QUOTE]
You will have no option soon, all piston engines are on the back foot now, plus all makers are now gearing up for full production in 9 years time.

voyager

Forum Member
I often wonder about the weight of the batteries and how this will impinge on the total weight and load carrying ability of the van.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I often wonder about the weight of the batteries and how this will impinge on the total weight and load carrying ability of the van.
My Lifepo4 batterys are incredibly light compared to my old ones. I don’t think it’s the weight of the battery’s that’s the problem more the range you get from them. If you are happy with less than 100 Mike range then an all electric van is doable. Not recommending anyone do it but a guy on YouTube has converted his 50 year old ve dub van using reclaimed Tesla batterys.

Reactions: DnK

trevskoda

Forum Member
My Lifepo4 batterys are incredibly light compared to my old ones. I don’t think it’s the weight of the battery’s that’s the problem more the range you get from them. If you are happy with less than 100 Mike range then an all electric van is doable. Not recommending anyone do it but a guy on YouTube has converted his 50 year old ve dub van using reclaimed Tesla batterys.
100 mike range. :unsure:

Red Dwarf

Forum Member
There does appear to be some progress with new types of batteries, to some extent we’re waiting for technology to catch up, which it will. I did read that a large amount of vehicles don’t actually travel that far, going to work and around town. For these users current (no pun intended) battery ranges are adequate. I guess once we get to 300 mile plus range plus quick charge ability, the change will be very swift.
The original date of 2040 set in Europe for the end of fossil fuel powered vehicles has already jumped forward, JLR announcing an all electric range by 2005!
Another thing to watch is the new technology allowing for cheap hydrogen production. Once hydrogen can be extracted economically, I suspect hydrogen powered vehicles will be back on the agenda.
My money is on a break though with battery technology, perhaps the saline type or whatever. Cheap efficient batteries would be an immediate game changer....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)