Help needed to insure self build

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
The van is 95% done ie compleate just battery to put in .
2016 sprinter coverted by myself but need to insure it ? ? but what is the the best way to insure it. . As my insurance runs out now.

Gaurntee price us what I need or is it called something else !.

Any help please

Squiffy

Forum Member
A lot depends on if you get it classed by DVLA as a Motor Caravan, this will then make it somewhat easier to get it insured with an agreed value. However because insurance companies are aware of the DVLA's awkward stance on self builds, many of them will now insure your vehicle at an "Agreed value". I don't know who you are insured with at this point but Adrian Flux is a popular insurance company used by most. The only thing you can do is actually phone various insurance brokers and specifically ask about your particular situation.
I am insured by Saga, though my van is registered as a "Motorcaravan " and initially I had to get an engineers report on it before they would except insuring it at an agreed value. It could be that they also now will insure other vehicles without the necessary DVLA classification.
My van with them has an agreed value of £40,000 and costs me with my insurance record £310. Good luck with your search, it's much easier now than it was 7 years ago to find self build insurance 😁. Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
As Phil says this chore becomes a great deal easier if your van becomes registered with the DVLA and you are able to obtain an agreed valuation.

If you haven't done so already, it might be worth your time preparing a detailed list of your expenditure, listing individual items etc. I prepared a full spread sheet which I not only attached to my DVLA application but also to the insurance company, following which I obtained an agreed valuation.
For the past few years I have been insured by Scenic Motorhomes (part of the Swinton Group) and although I haven't had any claims, it is nice speaking to a company who actually employ people who understand self building!

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
Last time I did an agreed value policy on a self-conversion, it was fairly simple.
Photos needed inside and out, plus a list of significant items that are fitted with their value.
It is worth making it clear upfront when getting quotes that this is a feature you need as some underwriters don't offer it, so that can save time.

My last policy with this feature was with A-Plan Insurance, who I have always found very good to deal with.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)