Help - LDV Convoy self build mattress suggestions...

Carly Fillis

Hi all, looking for any ideas or suggestions as we are looking to sleep width ways in our LDV convoy, basically the whole point in buying it ;-)... but due to the minibus style of the windows the width size is 182" ...all beds are 190"...eeeeek! I know loads of people have LDV Convoys and have beds width ways, any suggestions would be awesome...or it will be a cut and paste foam job ;)

Thank you

oldish hippy

Forum Member
memory foam mattress cut to size or look online for a foam mattress depend on your needs I got memory foam from ikea and cut it down width ways

r4dent

width size is 182" ...all beds are 190"

I assume you mean centimeters not inches (which is what a quote mark denotes) but anyway.....

Plan A - buy a foam mattress and cut it to size viz Cutting Cushion Foam using Electric Kitchen Knife - YouTube
Tips on How to Cut Memory Foam Easily » JustGoSleep

Plan B - buy a custom sized foam mattress //www.efoam.co.uk
Made To Measure Mattresses & Regular Size - BEST QUALITY

:sleep-027:

These web pages are just examples not specific recommendations.
I'm sure others will provide Plans C to Z

Good Luck

trevskoda

Forum Member
Air camping mattress are what you want most are around the size you want though i got an ikea mattress to fit my van smack on continental size and a double sleeping bag slightly over size + big blanket to protect mattress,bought from ebay.

Last edited:

clf86ha

ask a bed manufacturer to make the size you need, a sofa and bed place near me did it for a 7' man who couldn't find a bed to fit his length.
Personally, I'd opt for the foam and cut to fit

mrbigglesworth

We use a cut to size 4" Dunlop foam mattress on top of one of these LURÖY Slatted bed base Standard Double - IKEA

Much, much better than a solid base. We spend long trips in Europe and its not "sagged" yet. Just as comfy as our home bed. Remember, buy cheap, buy twice.

You can trim a couple of inches off the ends of the slats to make them narrower if needed and of course the length is fully adjustable.

Mr. B.

janner

i don't know wether this is relevant but if self building to comply with the dvla your bed should be fixed and 6 foot minimum,unfair but 'workroundable'
all the best and good luck,jan

Rory S

Air camping mattress are what you want most are around the size you want though i got an ikea mattress to fit my van smack on continental size and a double sleeping bag slightly over size + big blanket to protect mattress from ebay.

Why would you want to protect a mattress from ebay Trev?:bow:

campervantony

mattress

comfy and usually free
have a look round local nursing homes always see
blue mattress's near skips
they have a blue water proof cover that zips off and the sponge is always like new
ive had about 30 and only had 1 that was no good
easy to cut 2 together will make a 5 ft wide bed
lenth and width is easy to cut

IanH

Air camping mattress are what you want most are around the size you want though i got an ikea mattress to fit my van smack on continental size and a double sleeping bag slightly over size + big blanket to protect mattress from ebay.

What possible threat does ebay present to your mattress???!!!

trevskoda

Forum Member
comfy and usually free
have a look round local nursing homes always see
blue mattress's near skips
they have a blue water proof cover that zips off and the sponge is always like new
ive had about 30 and only had 1 that was no good
easy to cut 2 together will make a 5 ft wide bed
lenth and width is easy to cut

So its you lurking in the bushes looking at the young nurses.:tongue:

Auld Pharrrt

I got onto an online company and after a few emails ordered a 6 inch thick, single sized, reflex foam mattress in the highest density they could do plus an 18" piece of the same to use as a backrest and extension when I need it as a double bed ... all in £60! ... they would normally cover their mattresses but I wanted mine coverless as I was going to make minor adjustments and I used a king size duvet cover to make my upholstery (leopard print) ... everything worked out great, but I want to cut the backrest in half because I put it in the cab when I'm in bed and it will be more convenient to have it in two shorter sections so it will sit on the bench seat instead of semi-folded across the entire cab.

sak

With the LDV being a minibus would you need a slightly smaller mattress to leave a gap as any condensation on the windows is going to run downwards ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)