Help build for me

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
Hi, can someone convert a van for me and I can pay
Hi welcome along on joining, what is your requirements for van, Windows bonded or opening windows, heating, gas or diesel heating, insulation, cooker, oven, what type, do you want a double bed skylights toilet/shower think you will strugle with a swb, not to mention what your requirements are for electrics, what do you want on the roof sides, fabric/cloth/panels, what flooring, so I have come up with some requirements now you need to give information back in what you want, or even if you have seen a conversion by a company you like, it would help, like all conversions compromise will come into it, hope you get back soon, gerry

Robertf1992

Forum Member
Hi welcome along on joining, what is your requirements for van, Windows bonded or opening windows, heating, gas or diesel heating, insulation, cooker, oven, what type, do you want a double bed skylights toilet/shower think you will strugle with a swb, not to mention what your requirements are for electrics, what do you want on the roof sides, fabric/cloth/panels, what flooring, so I have come up with some requirements now you need to give information back in what you want, or even if you have seen a conversion by a company you like, it would help, like all conversions compromise will come into it, hope you get back soon, gerry
Okie doke. Well I am brand new to this and didn’t know how much was involved. I would want whatever is easier and cheaper. I am wanting a simple conversion to use weekends etc. Something for x2 to sleep in. Make some breakfast, wash the pots. Sit outside or chill out inside. Maybe we could have a phone conversation. Is this something you are interested in and if so could you come up with a price?

wildebus

Forum Member
Okie doke. Well I am brand new to this and didn’t know how much was involved. I would want whatever is easier and cheaper. I am wanting a simple conversion to use weekends etc. Something for x2 to sleep in. Make some breakfast, wash the pots. Sit outside or chill out inside. Maybe we could have a phone conversation. Is this something you are interested in and if so could you come up with a price?
What could be useful as well is look at photos of conversions (or maybe videos on youtube as well?) and find examples that you like in terms of layouts to give to someone who does conversions?
One persons ideal setup is another persons "no way, Hose" one.
I remember doing my VW T4 in a layout that suited me, but was not the 'norm' and people asked why I didn't do this and didn't do that.
When it was time to sell and do a bigger van I sold it to someone who wanted a camper specifically set up like mine.

Transit SWB is pretty short - so forget a shower/toilet room I would say (is that important? it would be (the loo part especially) to many).
fixed bed is a no-no as well.
Use weekends .. at a site? wild-camping (which for most nowadays means reasonable battery available). Using it inthe cooler months and need heating?

Have a look at this site - https://www.quirkycampers.com/ - and you can see lots of different, mostly self-builds, campervans and get an idea of layouts and styles. some there I think are great, others I don't like, but I bet plenty of folk do - that is why there is no "one size fits all" and you need to look at the options to see what is probably right for you.

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
I think wildbus has hit it on the nail, you need to look on you tube and others to help whoever builds it, look up 4 way stretch fabric that would probably be the cheapest option for walls and interior roof, wildbus hit it on the nail in asking do you want to wild camping as you will need better batteries look up altro flooring, or laminate flooring for cost, look up go outdoor potable toilet you can hide it away under the bed if it's a fixed bed 45ish pounds, I don't mean to sound rude but you need to step up and possible put a videos up that you see to help, we could talk till the cows come home and still not be singing from the same sheet, what you visualise in your head my interpretation might see something completely different are you going to do away with double seat and have 2 captain seats, my health isn't good and could never take the job on, and it would be impossible to give you a price as you need to say what you need, I asked you about heating the cheapest would be a Chinese diesel heater look them up for sale if going down that route buy from one that takes returns some don't, if it's a basic build look up go outdoors for a cooker, are you going to have a gas bottle for cooker and heating, or if it's cost look at go outdoor cookers , I asked you about windows bonded or opening plastic windows, or look up second hand windows for cost , what width inside is your van to know if bed can go side to side,

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Funny, my first conversion/refit. Was based on children cleaning. I believe that children should experience the outside, and as such they get incredibly dirty. So a toilet and shower was a must have, all the other stuff was second to that.

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
looking at Roberts last message, I think if it's cheap he would go again look at go outdoors, down a Jerry can route for water, not dear, my take on it is for cost mind not durability only cost, is 25mm insulation on floor ( again I don't know might inside van) ply flooring with laminate flooring, 25/50 mm insulation for sides and roof, ply sheets with 4 way stretch fabric for sides and roof, a cheap 1 or 2 400×400 skylights 60ish pounds, led lights , kitchen unit, a couple of windows for side of van one in side door, do away with double front seat only have two single captain seats diesel heater under one of the seats, and someone to come up with the electrical and battery side but needs Roberts imput he might be like me and not understand what it takes to run and charge his equipment, it's small van that's why I don't think a toilet is practical, yes maybe a necessity for some, but mind his wish to keep it cheap, he is probably young, and rough it a bit, while old ones like our comfort, Robert would i be on the right track to your thoughts, gerry

wildebus

Forum Member
As far as electrics goes, there is again a massive variety of options and solutions with no "one size fits all". I get a similar question to Roberts quite frequently. but based on the electrics side and try to pin down what is actually needed by them.

To get a handle on this area, I've done a "starter kit" for the VW T5 (where most enquiries come from) with a walkthrough of installation. The space/shape of a transit seat is going to be different of course but the principles are the same.
A couple of links to show the kind of kit that the "typical" weekender would have and how to lay it out.....

Classic VW T5 DayVan Electrical Combo Kit

Installing the Wildebus Dayvan/Festival Electrical Combo Kit

mistericeman

Forum Member
As Wildebus points out.... Its a bit 'how long is a piece of string'

Fully appointed gin Palace OR basically a tin tent...

When I built our transit Jumbo a fixed double bed was a must, permanant toilet/shower weren't.

Wanted space inside and room for dogs and warmth...
Plus ability to not need hook up by being self sufficient power wise.

What suits one person deff won't suit another....

Red Dwarf

Forum Member
So many variables.
Quality of finish. This has an enormous effect on budget.
Needs and wants. like mentioned above, a big fixed bed was a must for me.
Toilet? Shower? Sink? Hot water system?
The point is you have to work out what you want. I know this sounds obvious, but I can assure you that every self builder spent many an hour on planning. It’s the whole point of self build, you get what YOU want.
If it’s a case of using self build as a route to a cheap way to get into a camper van/motorhome, it may be just as cheap to look around for one that someone else has converted. If you’re going to pay someone else to do a build I’m not sure where the saving is coming from.

As others have mentioned, have a good trawl around the net and look at other vans to give you some ideas of what is achievable and possible.

Hope all this makes sense. My reasons for building, I get what I want and can do it reasonably cheaply. No gloss for me, just a practical user.
Good luck with your plans, there are no limits.

Stevie

Squiffy

Forum Member
I think you've all given Robert a head ache 😄. But you're all right of course it's impossible to give a price off the top, especially if a style has not been decided on. Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
As far as electrics goes, there is again a massive variety of options and solutions with no "one size fits all". I get a similar question to Roberts quite frequently. but based on the electrics side and try to pin down what is actually needed by them.

To get a handle on this area, I've done a "starter kit" for the VW T5 (where most enquiries come from) with a walkthrough of installation. The space/shape of a transit seat is going to be different of course but the principles are the same.
A couple of links to show the kind of kit that the "typical" weekender would have and how to lay it out.....

Classic VW T5 DayVan Electrical Combo Kit

Installing the Wildebus Dayvan/Festival Electrical Combo Kit
I found out that the images in the 2nd link were not visible - now fixed for anyone who had clicked on the link and wondered what on earth I was referring to in the text!

Millie Master

Forum Member
Having read all of this, I feel the number one problem is likely to be trying to fit anything remotely acceptable into a rust bucket SWB Transit. From the outset I would suggest that the very first step it to decide on a minimum of a MWB as they are still easy to drive, I would also suggest going for a van that you can have a useable across the van bed and finally I would only go for a van with a fully galvanised body shell because the last thing you surely want to do is to sink your money into that will then dissolve infront of your eyes!

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
Having read all of this, I feel the number one problem is likely to be trying to fit anything remotely acceptable into a rust bucket SWB Transit. From the outset I would suggest that the very first step it to decide on a minimum of a MWB as they are still easy to drive, I would also suggest going for a van that you can have a useable across the van bed and finally I would only go for a van with a fully galvanised body shell because the last thing you surely want to do is to sink your money into that will then dissolve infront of your eyes!

Phil
Plenty of people make campervans out of VW T4 and T5 Transporters, and a SWB Transit is no smaller than those. There are also a fairly big community of "micro campers" usings vans such as Transit Connects, VW Caddys and NV200s.
It is all down to what the individual is willing to compromise on.

For myself, I have gone from T4 SWB to T5 LWB to LT LWB to a Full Fat Motorhome body, so a SWB Transit just wouldn't cut it for me now, but in the past and for many other folk ......

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)