Heating the van with the gas hob

Byronic

Please show a little more respect I know damn well what hobs are designed for serviced enough!! ....The OP for your convenience was talking about using the hob for heating not its intended purpose !!

Not a cup of tea in the morning they were talking about using it as a source of heat ....perhaps a re read the original post !!!.

Channa

I don't know, or at least can't remember what you've serviced or done for a living, I can only respond to what you've written on this thread.

To add clarity to what I've already stated, I am indeed responding to the OP. I'm suggesting that a hob could be used to heat a van but only for a period of time that equates to boiling a couple of cups of water or cooking a meal, because those 2 activities are considered safe Do you see what I'm getting at ? I welcome any cogent argument that disputes my suggestion.

PS I see that you did work on fairgrounds.

Last edited by a moderator:

channa

I don't know, or at least can't remember what you've serviced or done for a living, I can only respond to what you've written on this thread.

To add clarity to what I've already stated, I am indeed responding to the OP. I'm suggesting that a hob could be used to heat a van but only for a period of time that equates to boiling a couple of cups of water or cooking a meal, because those 2 activities are considered safe Do you see what I'm getting at ? I welcome any cogent argument that disputes my suggestion.

PS I see that you did work on fairgrounds.

On that we are agreed, but my perception was the OP was talking about heating not using a hob equivalent to boiling kettles . Yes I have worked on fairgrounds and was lead gadgy looking after 283 statics abroad including gas checks because I had the ticket too. I might just a teeny weeny bit know what I am talking about ...I am CITB Class 1 certified Air Conditioning and refrigeration so I may have had to exhibit I have more than half a clue re safety of gasses.

As I recall the respective tickets weren't just given 21 exams as I remember for gas alone

Channa

Byronic

On that we are agreed, but my perception was the OP was talking about heating not using a hob equivalent to boiling kettles.

Channa

Yes perhaps he was and perhaps he wasn't. I don't know, it's an ambiguous post. That's why I've stated that he shouldn't leave the hob on as a heat source and then go to sleep. But have suggested that I can't see why he couldn't leave the hob on for limited periods as per my examples.
I don't give any clue as to my qualifications or to any level of competance, why should anyone believe me, I just expect forum members to agree or disagree on what I post. My final post on this thread !

ashbyspannerman

Unfortunately there is a risk of deaths if you get it wrong! every year there are cases of death through carbon monoxide poisoning, looking at the membership on this and other motorhome sites, there are a lot of people getting into 'doing' there vans, the very nature of 'wild campers' is that we like to do things 'our' way.
When people talk of "just warming the van before going to bed" it does send a shiver down my spine! I've done it, I have woken with a splitting headache, (not always self inflicted!) I used to have a catalytic heater mounted on the side of the van, I only ever intended it to be for warming the van before bedtime. Sometimes I came in from the cold, made a brew and put the heater on to get cozy, unfortunately got too cozy and woke up several hours later! I was lucky, I woke up!

Whatever way you choose to warm your 'home', please be careful.

channa

Yes perhaps he was and perhaps he wasn't. I don't know, it's an ambiguous post. That's why I've stated that he shouldn't leave the hob on as a heat source and then go to sleep. But have suggested that I can't see why he couldn't leave the hob on for limited periods as per my examples.
I don't give any clue as to my qualifications or to any level of competance, why should anyone believe me, I just expect forum members to agree or disagree on what I post. My final post on this thread !
Heating the van with a gas hob , is the title of the thread, that doesn't seem that ambiguous to me.

Channa

Tbear

Most of us oldies have the above symptoms whether we are in the motorhome or not. :sad:

I've had them about every weekend since I was 15 which is why many folk sadly don't take any notice of them :(

Richard

delicagirl

Are folk still bitching about this. Quite sad really

BITCHING? - we are trying to ensure that newbies get the most accurate information about staying warm, staying safe and staying alive.

If you see this as bitching, and looking at your other posts, maybe this forum is not the place for you.

Derekoak

Heating with gas hob aafely

Make a harness under some of your clothes for a hot water bottle. Put your hob on for a cuppa and to fill the hottie. Switch off the gas. Reheat the hottie as needed.

channa

In an ideal world I agree David.

The message of CO is not being sold not everyone is aware, This year there will be deaths from CO poisioning the most likely people pulling a dying disposable BBQ into tents and awnings to take the chill of the air. Such an easy thing to do people completely unaware of the risks.
Channa

Tbear

There will always be those who's greatest ambition is to win a Darwin Award posthumously. :(

Richard

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)