Have you been prescribed any medication that your body has reacted against?

Millie Master

Forum Member
When I was living in France, because of what was described as dangerously high cholesterol levels I was prescribed 'statins', three different makes of statins later my GP realised that my body wouldn't tolerate them!
A couple of years later and shortly before a hip opp, I had the usual blood tests which of course showed the very high cholesterol levels which resulted in them doing tests and much to their amazement I had no discernable furring up of my arteries.

On another score, last year I was prescribed various bronchial medications including pills and 3 different types of inhaler all of which I took religiously until last Friday when I was sent to see a consultant cardiologist because I was experiencing exceptionally painful chest pains which were indicative of Angina (plus ever more restrictive breathing). So the first thing I did before starting the new medications was to stop taking all the bronchial medications................... and..................... bugger me....................... every single one of my breathing difficulties disappeared as well as the chronic chest pains!!

Now for the first time in well over a year I actually feel very fit once again and so I can once again commence a concentrated programme of muscle and general fitness building exercises.

Phil

Last edited:

voyager

Forum Member
I struggle to take painkillers such as Naproxin, Codeine phosphate and Iboprufen as they cause serious stomach problems even when taken with lansoprazole. The first time i was aware of this was when I had excrutiating chest pains which resulted in blue light ambulance trip to hospital.
I am currently awaiting second knee op following significant cartilage tear and hope that paracetemol will suffice.

Pleased you are feeling fit again.

wildebus

Forum Member
I wasn't myself, but my mother was on a load of stuff and back in 2009 she was essentially comatose and the doctor said the end was very soon and we started to work out funeral arrangements.
The doctor withdrew all the medication and .... she got better(ish) and back to her usual cantakerous slightly confused (she was convinced MI5 had bugged her room) self and carried on until 2015.

I used to use Naproxen when I went away in my old T5 Camper as making up the bed each night inflamed a touch of Bursitis by the morning (which is why the new camper has a permanent bed!) but I understand that can have stomach side effects (I was ok IIRC).
I occasionally still use Dihydrocodeine (prescribed after suffering 3rd degree burns a couple of years ago) which is meant to be highly additive for many users (one of those common perscription medicine additions) which could be said to be a body reaction I guess. Luckily not had that effect on me!

time4t

Hi Phil, how are you feeling now? glad to here you're on the mend!
Watch yourself when doing strenuous exercise, there is evidence that it can damage the valves in your heart!!

After I was given beta blockers, I had all the side effects going, severe stomach pains, dry vomiting, hallucinations like a giant crow flying through my lounge & dining room the head of which changed to the head of a dragon, not to mention the football sized black blob that went across the floor. ( no drinks or drugs were involved!!!).

My legs swelled up till I had kankles & neekles.
Had sleep apnea, so no sleep because breathing stopped every time I fell asleep
I told the Doc who said I should give it time, so next day I stopped taking them, stuff what they said!

Still taking 8 tabs a day ( no beta blockers ) & do notice if I forget one.

Phill

Millie Master

Forum Member
Hi Phil, how are you feeling now?

Phill

Thanks for asking, I feel quite amazingly on top of the world Phill.

Throughout my life, well from the age of 11 onwards I have enjoyed the black mist you can experience when you push muscles into and through their comfort zones. After almost a year of not being able to do so, I am not up to that kind of thing just yet, however on Monday I was able to walk too and from the garage servicing and MOT'ing our car at a full on very fast walking pace. The garage is fractionally over 2 miles away and I did the return walk in 55 minutes. I also did 50 press ups, 50 trunk curls and 250 leg squats during the day, with this exercise being concentrated on building my muscle mass so that I can once again start crashing out the miles on my road bike.

Phil

voyager

Forum Member
I don't like this getting old feeling. Joints starting to ache, Have had to give up musician work due to stiffness of finger joints which has been a large part of my life. Currently waiting for 2nd knee operation after tearing cartilage for second time in 3 months. Have to wear glasses to read and drive.
But it could be worse and I woke up today and thought. 'good, I am still here' now get on and enjoy your life.

trevskoda

Forum Member
When I was living in France, because of what was described as dangerously high cholesterol levels I was prescribed 'statins', three different makes of statins later my GP realised that my body wouldn't tolerate them!
A couple of years later and shortly before a hip opp, I had the usual blood tests which of course showed the very high cholesterol levels which resulted in them doing tests and much to their amazement I had no discernable furring up of my arteries.

On another score, last year I was prescribed various bronchial medications including pills and 3 different types of inhaler all of which I took religiously until last Friday when I was sent to see a consultant cardiologist because I was experiencing exceptionally painful chest pains which were indicative of Angina (plus ever more restrictive breathing). So the first thing I did before starting the new medications was to stop taking all the bronchial medications................... and..................... bugger me....................... every single one of my breathing difficulties disappeared as well as the chronic chest pains!!

Now for the first time in well over a year I actually feel very fit once again and so I can once again commence a concentrated programme of muscle and general fitness building exercises.

Phil
Eat porrage for breakfast,drink nettle soup and eat nothing out of boxes.

Debs

Forum Member
Lisinopril, cost me three emergency rush's to hospital, one in Rouen, next one in Koblenz, then back in Blighty, and it's left me with a legacy, every so often it kicks off for no apparent reason.

campervanannie

Forum Member
I have Rhumatoid Arthritis and over the years I have either failed or had major reactions to 4/5 drugs that I have been prescribed over the years the worst one being Methotrexate which did something serious to my liver and kidneys which did recover once they stopped it but every cloud has a silver lining as I am now on Retuximab.
Rituximab is used to treat certain types of cancer (such as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, chronic lymphocytic leukemia). It works by slowing or stopping the growth of cancer cells. Rituximab is used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and can decrease joint pain and swelling, and to get on these type of drugs you have to have failed on at least 3 of the standard treatments I have mine given intravenously every 6 months and the relief I get is unbelievable.

Last edited:

REC

Forum Member
Rituximab is great for RA sufferers. Often have a reaction with first dose but usually restart and tolerate it well. Monoclonal antibodies have really been life changing for so many people! And the number of diseases they treat with it are growing.....Glad it works for you too.
Ruth

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)