Got a MotorHome? Want a Compressor Fridge?

wildebus

Forum Member
Most Factory Motorhomes has 3-way (Gas/240V/12V) Fridges. But if you want a more efficient Compressor Fridge (which on my own tests are around 7 times more efficient on Electric) then you would need to remove the current Fridge, buy a new fridge and install it in its place.

Simple enough once you have adapted the space to suit (or managed to find a new one the same size), and also somehow managed to get the old fridge out the Motorhome and the new one inside (on a custom motorhome, the hab doors tand to be rather small so how you fit it in I am not sure? through the cab?)
If the 3-way in my Motorhome fails, I would be wanting to get an Compressor unit in its place, but would have the above issues to deal with.

However, maybe this approach is an idea? :unsure: Don't replace but convert! :geek:
I wonder how hard it would be to take a compressor/cooling fin setup off a standard fridge and fit it as shown in that video? I have no idea myself, but seems like it should be doable and if your fridge carcase is still fine, seems a good approach?

mistericeman

Forum Member
IF it's a typical American rv type 'monoblock' it's possibly doable with a degree of pfaff....

The more usual type absorbtion type... Needs to have the ammonia recovered first before actually taking the thing apart...

After buying the relevant 12v hermetic compressor and evaporator/control gear. (most domestic type casings have at least part of the evaporator moulded into the casing....)

Along with needing it charging with refrigerant after fitting....

I'd just go full on 12v fridge OR 240v via efficient inverter...

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
What sold it for me. I have got a nice motorhome, I like how it looks inside and I did not want to start cutting it up to make a fridge fit: I found a fridge that fitted in the hole.

wildebus

Forum Member
What sold it for me. I have got a nice motorhome, I like how it looks inside and I did not want to start cutting it up to make a fridge fit: I found a fridge that fitted in the hole.
Yup. That is a key point and why that Conversion video was interesting - but as I said, I don't know the inside of fridges and it seemed remarkably simple (AKA a bit too simple!).
I'll be sticking with the Fridge I have installed whilst it is working :)

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
I've got half a kilowatt of solar panels on the roof. In the summer we never use all the power that we harvest, even though we cook with it, so for me it was just another way of making good use of the solar set up and the sooner I started to use the 12 volt fridge, the sooner it would start paying for itself.

Millie Master

Forum Member
About 5 or 6 years ago on SBMCC there was one of the regular members who decided to make his own excetionally thermally efficient compressor fridge, where if my memory serves me correctly, he used 100mm thick Cellotex for the walls, floor and ceiling and a sandwich of 2 thicknesses of 50mm Cellotex for the door, with a suitable thin but hard coverings.
He reported that his efforts proved be amazingly efficient.
The other advantage was that he was able to make his fridge to the exact size he wanted to for his conversion.

Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Off topic, but if your mind can wonder a bit not. Whilst researching various options about a dc or mains powered fridges many years ago. I came across some boat stuff where you could buy all the refrigeration bits for about £600 and make your own cabinet to refrigerate.

trevskoda

Forum Member
You can buy a 230v mini fridge for £70, then if you can get one a Nikkai soft start smart inverter 600w, i have done all the tests following wildbuses posts, it has worked 100% and very happy i went down this path.
I made a lock tab for door and also changed the opening to the other way.
inv a.jpg
fridge c.jpg
fridge b.jpg

mistericeman

Forum Member
Off topic, but if your mind can wonder a bit not. Whilst researching various options about a dc or mains powered fridges many years ago. I came across some boat stuff where you could buy all the refrigeration bits for about £600 and make your own cabinet to refrigerate.

Still freely available (the aussies seem to particularly love doing it)

And available on alibaba etc.... (for slightly less dollar)

However even as a aircon/fridge engineer I still chose to buy a Waeco coolbox type compressor fridge....

AND when I eventually chuck the 3 way in the skip (where it belongs IMHO)

Ill go for a direct replacement (unless I can get a domestic to fit perfectly and look nice)
I could live with the Transit self build being a bit 'rustic'
BUT want to keep the Moho looking more motorhomey

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)