Gas Locker

linkshouse

Forum Member
Does anyone know where I can source a gas locker to hold two gas bottles?

All the ones I’ve seen online are for a single bottle.

Thanks

Phill

Millie Master

Forum Member
Phill, if I were you I would make one yourself, most especially as it is for fitting to the in/out shape of the sides of your immaculate new van, either that, or why not fit an underslung tank so as to free up so much of the desperately needed space inside?

In hindsight, I wish now I had gone for an underslung tank in my conversion simply because of freeing up some more internal space that I could have used as a full on doggie cupboard!

linkshouse

Forum Member
Phill, if I were you I would make one yourself, most especially as it is for fitting to the in/out shape of the sides of your immaculate new van, either that, or why not fit an underslung tank so as to free up so much of the desperately needed space inside?

In hindsight, I wish now I had gone for an underslung tank in my conversion simply because of freeing up some more internal space that I could have used as a full on doggie cupboard!
A refillable tank would be my choice too but SWMBO won’t even entertain the idea and I’ve long since given up on reasoning ;)

Nabsim

Forum Member
That does look like a big waste of space. Has anyone thought about having storage lockers in the floor?
It surprises me when people put water tanks under the floor the gas inside 👍

the gas locker just needs to be sealed from ha itation area with drop outs. Beware of running fill pipe through a void that may leak back to hab area

Millie Master

Forum Member
A refillable tank would be my choice too but SWMBO won’t even entertain the idea and I’ve long since given up on reasoning ;)
Well Phill, it seems you have one out of the same batch as my SWMBO came from, but now after living with our current refillable, on-board gas locker she has actually come around to actually considering the option, but the door on that is now closed as we are keeping 'Millie'.

As for the gas locker I installed which is located just inside the door. The cylinder in my van is a lightweight SafeFill glassfibre tank, the cabinet is of exactly the same frame type with lightweight 4mm oak vaneered construction as the rest of the interior, but it is air tight along with a drop out hole cut into the bottom so as to allow any leaked gas to escape.
I don't know what type of cylinders you are planning to use, but I strongly suggest you go for refillable bottles as you save a fortune on the gas and if you do go for refillable, then as weight is a major consideration in all self builds, then I suggest you consider either an Alugaz aluminium cyclinder which, unlike the SafeFill one I have, they come with 2 entry points, one for taking out and one for filling with, which along with an externally mounted filling point means you can re-gas anywhere throughout Europe and at thousands of filling stations in the UK.

The point I feel I should stress is that a lightweight cylinder is far, far safer to have on board one of our self builds if we should ever have an accident as it is so very much easier and safer to tie down whereas a steel cylinder can weigh as much as 3 times the weight!!

Phil

RSafeFill.jpg RSafeFill2.jpg

linkshouse

Forum Member
Well Phill, it seems you have one out of the same batch as my SWMBO came from, but now after living with our current refillable, on-board gas locker she has actually come around to actually considering the option, but the door on that is now closed as we are keeping 'Millie'.

As for the gas locker I installed which is located just inside the door. The cylinder in my van is a lightweight SafeFill glassfibre tank, the cabinet is of exactly the same frame type with lightweight 4mm oak vaneered construction as the rest of the interior, but it is air tight along with a drop out hole cut into the bottom so as to allow any leaked gas to escape.
I don't know what type of cylinders you are planning to use, but I strongly suggest you go for refillable bottles as you save a fortune on the gas and if you do go for refillable, then as weight is a major consideration in all self builds, then I suggest you consider either an Alugaz aluminium cyclinder which, unlike the SafeFill one I have, they come with 2 entry points, one for taking out and one for filling with, which along with an externally mounted filling point means you can re-gas anywhere throughout Europe and at thousands of filling stations in the UK.

The point I feel I should stress is that a lightweight cylinder is far, far safer to have on board one of our self builds if we should ever have an accident as it is so very much easier and safer to tie down whereas a steel cylinder can weigh as much as 3 times the weight!!

Phil

View attachment 2092 View attachment 2093
Thank you for this Phil, it re-assures me a bit that your setup (apart from the refillable bottles) is exactly the sort of arrangement that I had envisaged. Crucially I was torturing myself about the need for a steel cupboard.

Regards

Phill

Millie Master

Forum Member
Thank you for this Phil, it re-assures me a bit that your setup (apart from the refillable bottles) is exactly the sort of arrangement that I had envisaged. Crucially I was torturing myself about the need for a steel cupboard.
Regards
Phill

Is it any kind of refillable cylinder that the boss refuses to consider?

I can't remember where you are hoping to fit the cylinders, but if you are going to be using steel ones, then you ought to consider fitting some high tensile tie downs through the floor with a relatively high load ratchet strap to hold them in place as the last thing you would ever want is 2 humongous gas cylinders flying through the air as a result of a RTA!!

Phil

linkshouse

Forum Member
Is it any kind of refillable cylinder that the boss refuses to consider?

I can't remember where you are hoping to fit the cylinders, but if you are going to be using steel ones, then you ought to consider fitting some high tensile tie downs through the floor with a relatively high load ratchet strap to hold them in place as the last thing you would ever want is 2 humongous gas cylinders flying through the air as a result of a RTA!!

Phil
Any kind of refillable I’m afraid. It’s the whole refilling exercise she won’t countenance. She won’t be turned but I do wonder if I could get away with just not mentioning it and refilling them when required on the Q.T. Hmm, could be risky :rolleyes:

I am considering changing my plans and putting them in the “boot” area behind the rear wall I have made. They would also then be in a substantial box, with gas drop outs of course, screwed to the floor.

Phill

Nabsim

Forum Member

Phil

View attachment 2092 View attachment 2093
I thought with self builds you were better off with payload on a 3.5t van? Difference between an Alugas and a Gaslow 11kb bottle is just shy of 6kg but alugas is another £90 approx. Are you really looking at that sort of tolerance?

Millie Master

Forum Member
I could get away with just not mentioning it and refilling them when required on the Q.T. Hmm, could be risky :rolleyes:
Phill

I know this is naughty, but we have a gas wok ring at home which we use a lot and I have a professionally installed pipe and regulator outside the house and use medium sized Calor cylinders to run this ring.
I spent an age calculating the 80% capacity of this cylinder and now, whenever it needs filling, rather than spending the £30+ for each exchange cylinder with Calor I connect it up in 'Millie' and go and refill it at our local gas supplier for a total cost last time I filled it of just £11.

Smacked wrists I know, but I hate getting ripped off!

Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)