Friends' are after a Van

RAW

Forum Member
Some friends' of mine are after a Van. They have more money than me. I have advised them to look potentially at getting a base vehicle and employing someone to build them something. Are there any of you that offer a design and build service? Not really something I can do from scratch as not an accomplished joiner, carpenter. Or alternatively they might be after a decent well built 2nd hand van, I think @SquirrellCook might have an Iveco coming up for sale, anyone else ?
My friends are not on this forum and have asked me to look into the 2nd hand van market for them.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
We have a merc 811d with an ex ambulance body. All functions as it should. Anita is preparing the body for me to paint. I want it one colour before it’s sold. I’ll list all the spec. when it’s done.

• Thank You
Reactions: RAW

wildebus

Forum Member
Would it depend on how much touring people want to do? The 811d is a reliable workhorse but is it not also incredibly slow, loud and thirsty?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Would it depend on how much touring people want to do? The 811d is a reliable workhorse but is it not also incredibly slow, loud and thirsty?
Happy at 65-70 mph will do more but that's cruel. At that sort of speed returns 18 mpg. Inside the dash and bulkhead has been sound insulated.
Goes anywhere.

DSCF2299.JPG

RAW

Forum Member
Looking forward to more images and details when you are ready @SquirrellCook :)
Think friends after something a bit more compact though, however as mentioned before I might be interested in yours myself as going to be homeless in a year or so......

RAW

Forum Member
My recent'ish acquisition of Mercedes 311Cdi Sprinter is, I think, good in many ways but she will not be big enough or spacious enough for full-time or extended stays in the Van Life. I am gradually doing her up a bit, electrical, cleansing, gas supply, hot-water, storage and so on and will sell in Spring 2021 hopefully for some profit as will be in a better state than when I got her. Going to rebuild the Turbo soon as well as seems underpowered on recent excursions and I think the Turbo is to blame for that.

I am defo interested in another Van and if your 811d is going to be in the ball park and you have space to store her until I have finished with my 311 and sold her, then I may be able to get you a deposit together to hold the van for me @SquirrellCook if your 811 will fit the bill for what I need. Cheers, Robert

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
When we are out and about again Robert, you need to see it. It's more functional than homely, it needs a woman's touch inside. Or at least someone with strong feminine traits ;)

RAW

Forum Member
When we are out and about again Robert, you need to see it. It's more functional than homely, it needs a woman's touch inside. Or at least someone with strong feminine traits ;)
Sounds good, we can move around more easily now.... are you far from me ?

Nabsim

Forum Member
Going to rebuild the Turbo soon as well as seems underpowered on recent excursions and I think the Turbo is to blame for that.

pull off the plastic cover over the injectors to see if you have a black coke/gunge around injectors/harness

wildebus

Forum Member
pull off the plastic cover over the injectors to see if you have a black coke/gunge around injectors/harness
Seen lots of comments on the Sprinter-Source forum about the Mercedes "Black Death" or something. Is that what that is? (I have a VW Engine in my 'Mercedes' so not took a lot of notice of the detail)

Nabsim

Forum Member
Yes Dave they call it Black Death as at one time it meant it cost more to fix than buy new. Guys on SS have done a lot of work on it though and it’s not so much of a problem now the knowledge has been shared. Starts with a loose/leaking injector. Symptom is loss of power though but it’s a gradual loss so goes unnoticed for a long time

Nabsim

Forum Member
It’s leaking injectors that cause the problem if that’s what you have. It may be the holding down bolts not secure or worn seal. Of course you may not have this but black coke/slime will be present under the plastic cover if it is. Clean off and fix leak is the cure

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)