For those looking to use a Rasb Pi to monitor Victron kit

wildebus

Forum Member
If I understand that product, this could also be used on a Victron GX product (Venus GX or Cerbo GX for example) to give more VE.Direct ports? which could be useful.
The price of this is just about the same as a single Victron VE.Direct to USB dongle.

PeteS

Forum Member
Also bear in mind that the supplied JST connector on the 4 port Usb pcb is a different size to the JST connector used by Victron. Victron use 4 pin JST PH connectors whilst the PCB uses JST XH connectors.

wildebus

Forum Member
Also bear in mind that the supplied JST connector on the 4 port Usb pcb is a different size to the JST connector used by Victron. Victron use 4 pin JST PH connectors whilst the PCB uses JST XH connectors.
I guess that is why they have the cable shown linked to the item? I notice that has different JST connectors each end.

PeteS

Forum Member
I guess that is why they have the cable shown linked to the item? I notice that has different JST connectors each end.
The pinout is different too, its not one to one, gets the old grey matter going when your making up your own leads!!

wildebus

Forum Member
The pinout is different too, its not one to one, gets the old grey matter going when your making up your own leads!!
It is indeed. I always make up my own VE.Direct cables :) (The VE.Direct to USB ones are different. I find the DIY ones a touch flaky so reserve those for testing generally).

PeteS

Forum Member
Added the 4 way hub to my system today, worked as intended.
I'm glad I now have isolated inputs and outputs on the VE Direct bus, it always worried me that the DIY ones weren't isolated particularly as when the Raspberry Pi was switched off the VE Direct bus was attempting to power the USB interface. Never a good idea.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)