Food Storage

suneye

Forum Member
I don't think that we have really got the storage in our latest van sorted. We don't seem to have enough storage room for food as we ended up putting a 70l water tank in the kitchen cupboard. I am thinking that we are going to have to keep most of our food in the garage. Anyone else do this and have a solution that works for them.

Phantom

Forum Member
Maybe free up space by putting things you don't use much or even some cloths into a storage box in the garage?

suneye

Forum Member
maybe too late, but water tank in the garage instead?
Mmm This was our first plan but it fitted so easily into the cupboard and made plumbing easier that it sort of happened and now we are stuck with it - at least for now!

suneye

Forum Member
Maybe free up space by putting things you don't use much or even some cloths into a storage box in the garage?
I think if something has to go into the garage it will have to be the food as I'm usually dressed when looking for food so makes it easier to go round to the back of the van 😄

HarryInHudds

Forum Member
Wait until your can't see the garage because of the dark, the rain, or the midges. Small motorhomes can be a full experience of life... if that's what you want! One of my best changes was getting the water (clean and grey) out from under the sink.

Millie Master

Forum Member
I don't know what van you have, but it isn't too late to move your water storage into underslung tanks?

I know it is easy to point fingers after the build, but I conducted years of research prior to building my 'Millie'. The number one answer to questions I put to quite literally hundreds of M0-Ho owners was that they wished they had far more storage space, so from day one of my design, storage was at the top of my must haves list.

Attachments

• Back storage.jpg
    Back storage.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 222

Tookey

Forum Member
Mmm This was our first plan but it fitted so easily into the cupboard and made plumbing easier that it sort of happened and now we are stuck with it - at least for now!
Truthfully I would bite the bullet, food being dotted around your van and in the outside locker is going to get on your nerves. Use the winter to get that tank in the locker as sometimes you wont even have to take it out to fill it which will be nice. You can get a bespoke tank made.

If you are adamant; wall mounted mesh pockets maybe, ceiling if you have a high top. If you have hanging space you could get one of those shoe pocket hangy things that you bring out and hang in or near the kitchen when cooking. Drain pipe with hinged access doors means you could stack cans floor to ceiling, very space efficient and quite fun to build, I might do that now I've thought about it. I would just google or Amazon 'storage' cos there is some ingenious stuff out there. Depending on your make/model and your height there is often substantial dead space on the ceiling of your cab for a mesh pocket, I am getting desperate now but it sounds like you are as well.

At the least put all the food in a box so you can just bring the whole box in to prevent multiple trips in our lovely British weather.

Some internal pictures would help :)

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
I've not yet worked out my kitchen-related storage, but one thing I have done is a "food spillover" box with with extra cans of some common foods (beans, soups, etc) in a plastic box that lives in the rear underfloor storage (accessible from outside only).
What I have also done is written with a Sharpie the use-by dates on the top of each can so I can very easily see if there is anything that should get brought in regardless and used within a month or so.

Interesting idea about the drainpipes. Like a can dispenser :)

Tookey

Forum Member
I've not yet worked out my kitchen-related storage, but one thing I have done is a "food spillover" box with with extra cans of some common foods (beans, soups, etc) in a plastic box that lives in the rear underfloor storage (accessible from outside only).
What I have also done is written with a Sharpie the use-by dates on the top of each can so I can very easily see if there is anything that should get brought in regardless and used within a month or so.

Interesting idea about the drainpipes. Like a can dispenser :)
You could set it up with no little access doors except at the bottom and then every tinned meal would become a pot luck surprise!!

Tookey

Forum Member
Last edited:

suneye

Forum Member
Not sure about the drainpipe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but we are considering going back to water containers under the bed which is what we had in our last van. in the meantime I have found these for putting some basics in the back (as suggested by Wildebus) and keeping just everyday stuff and breakfast food in the front. Unknown.jpeg

wildebus

Forum Member
Not sure about the drainpipe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but we are considering going back to water containers under the bed which is what we had in our last van. in the meantime I have found these for putting some basics in the back (as suggested by Wildebus) and keeping just everyday stuff and breakfast food in the front. View attachment 3091
Having a little flap in the front is a handy idea (y) I've just got a standard plastic box but wish I had a flappy one now!

wildebus

Forum Member
You could also make the drain pipe look cool using can sleeves...not at that price though but you get the idea. Actually I think modern can sleeves could look visually just as nice. Wet weekend project (y)

look cool - apart from the price o_O . Wouldn't be hard to print your own and paste them onto a pipe :)

suneye

Forum Member
I like the idea of a drawer but I think we have decided that at some point we will take out the fiamma tank and go back to plastic jerry can type containers. Our van:
fullsizeoutput_1a6b.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)