Fitting Solar Panels Other Places ?

wildebus

Forum Member
If I had bought your van, then I honestly would just bite the bullet and either take the ceiling panel down (or create access holes within high lockers if those are fitted) to give me access to fit roof rails of some type.

If you do that, you have a single "disturbance event" to fit the rails. Then once they are fitted, just about everything else is all outside ... adding panels, changing panels, adding other stuff, fitting cross-bars for say a kayak, whatever it may be, it is all external.
If you run a hefty (say 6mm2) pair of cables for the Solar at the same time as mounting the rails, then all wiring is sorted at the same time.

One-off event - sorted for life.

jez

Forum Member
Can you not drill the roof from the outside, wth a depth stop on the drill bit and insert rivnuts and fix off of them. It's what i'd be looking at doing if i was in your position. Just a thought.

Reactions: RAW

wildebus

Forum Member
Can you not drill the roof from the outside, wth a depth stop on the drill bit and insert rivnuts and fix off of them. It's what i'd be looking at doing if i was in your position. Just a thought.
I would be VERY wary on relying on Rivnuts for fitting rails (if fact, I would not just be wary, I just would never do that on my own van or anyone elses even if they took all reponsibility for the outcome).
The way a Rivnut works would not have enough fixing security against the lift of a solar panel on a vehicle driven at speed.
If you were to look at the installation instructions of just about any roof rail kit, they would either go into pre-fitted nuts that are factory welded within the roof (my Honda HR-V, my Toyota RAV4 and my VW T5 were like this) or they state the requirement to use some kind of spreader plate (I have used both square metal plates and Penny Washers in the past) to ensure there is no pull-through of the mounting bolt.

Rivnuts really are a No-No (if you do use them, please put a note on the rear door so people know to keep a safe distance from flying panels and hardware).

Last edited:

jez

Forum Member
Each to there own. I have been using them for 25+ years with no mishaps. I trust them more than a tube of sikaflex.

Reactions: RAW

mistericeman

Forum Member
Rivnuts always cause 'discussions'
Frankly I wouldn't rely on them to hold anything down like a solar panel (they can act like a large wing.... You'd struggle to hold it at anything like above a slow drive)

The biggest issue with Rivnuts is they come in a variety of flavours from alloy to stainless.... With accompanying differences in strength....

All of which are only as strong as what they are fitted into... AND unlike bolts and spreader plates Rivnuts have a relatively small contact area...
Over time they can (and do) work loose ending up fatiguing the area locally and failing.

Mind neither would I rely on any sticky gloop.... Unless it's bonded to the bare metal directly.... Its only glued to the paint.

Belt and braces person myself.... Sikaflex on bare metal with large tech screws on mine.

RAW

Forum Member
Thanks for all your comments on this and offers of help, very useful.

If I had bought your van, then I honestly would just bite the bullet and either take the ceiling panel down (or create access holes within high lockers if those are fitted) to give me access to fit roof rails of some type.
Sadly I would have to take down the Bathroom ceiling which is like some well constructed plastic box, tricky, on one side; the other side I may be able to get through via the cupboards which would be easier.

So to make sense of all this a bit more I took a video walk around below:

And here are some still images of the roof
20200407_153002.jpg92345970_867073580457817_3971671166166237184_n.jpg92664740_228807638196467_2954907275963138048_n.jpg20200407_152954.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)