Do you leave a heater on, in your van?

Darcar

Forum Member
I’v been given a small oil filled radiator, it has a thermostat built in, i intended to plug it into my shore power socket in the van and leave it set on low, dose anyone else do this? Is it a good idea? Or not?
Thanks Darren.

Misterg

Not the van (I'm in and out of it every day), but we used to keep our small boat at home over winter and I routinely left an oil-filled radiator on in it. The heater was set very low - just something to try and keep the damp at bay and the upholstery sweet. I reckon it's safer than a de-humidifier which was a popular option at the time.

Deleted member 4404

We like to get away for a few days when we get the chance, so don't drain down, but leave a small heater on frost stat. With the screens fitted it doesn't come on very often. It's the only time the EHU gets used!

wildebus

Forum Member
We like to get away for a few days when we get the chance, so don't drain down, but leave a small heater on frost stat. With the screens fitted it doesn't come on very often. It's the only time the EHU gets used!
I might do this as well in my van as it does get below 0C just about every night in the wintertime.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Folk routinely leave oil filled, woodburners, blow heaters, gas fires etc etc going in their homes while out at the shops, working in the garden, out for a walk, work or any other of things that people do, very rarely does anyone give it a second thought and even least likely does any problems occur because of this habit, so with all due respect why is it that suddenly it could be a problem when exactly the same appiances are used in a van? So long as the appliance is used with due diligence with regard to being too close to combustible materials :unsure: Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
When it comes to using energy I have to say I am tighter than a ducks a*se !!

"Millie" is parked up on SORN from Oct. 31st normally through until at least March at the very earliest but normally May 1st during which time, for most of the time I don't even go into her, however the 3 x MPK skylights I have fitted despite being closed, they still have vents added to which spray foam insulation is incredibly efficient and with zero cold spots to worry about......... as such whenever I do go into her, she smells as fresh as fresh can be.

As the above is the case, I for one don't see any need to leave any kind of automated heating device turned on, but of course, each to their own.

Phil

Darcar

Forum Member
Cheers guys
my concern for the use of the heater, wasn’t about it’s safety,
it was more todo with the radiator making condensation and or stopping the mould growth.
Our van sits at front of our house & as we live in a valley it gets very little sun this time of year!
I do drive it around once a month, simply to keep it lubricanted and turn the tyres.

I worry about vermin moving in, like mice or rats chewing wires &/or pipes. As I don’t go in it much while parked up..
I guess the best solution would be to,, “be away in it!! “. Roll on retirement 😃

Darren

Millie Master

Forum Member
I worry about vermin moving in, like mice or rats chewing wires &/or pipes. As I don’t go in it much while parked up..
I guess the best solution would be to,, “be away in it!! “. Roll on retirement 😃

Darren

Vermin is always of concern to me as well Darren as I have seen what they can do to a wiring loom.
I haven't fitted one anywhere close to 'Millie' but in the garage I have an electronic force field device turned on, which I must say, proves to be very effective at keeping them at bay.
I make this observation as there were signs of both rat and mice activity in the garage until I fitted the device, but since then none of the bait has been eaten and none of the traps have been set off whereas before turning on the device I had been averaging 3 mice a week in the traps!

As vermin follow scent/urine trails, when we were living in France and had our barns filled with stored customer caravans, I used to regularly go around every single caravan spraying a fine mist of Jeyes Fluid onto the wheels/tyres as well as the jockey wheel and we never had any incident where vermin gained access to any of the vans.

Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
I keep a 500w blow heater on in van and its on a timer and stat which keeps damp out of woodwork etc,dont panic as only about 12 to 16 weeks and good weather will be back.

campervanannie

Forum Member
This is my response 😂I have it on hook up at home on the drive with a heater in but this is my biggest milestone. 😂😂😂

As some members will know I have had some not very welll equipped vans in the past I have now had my lovely well made Rapido coming up to 2 years now but I have never run the heating apart from an odd 15 mins to take the chill off on some exceptionally cold evenings and mornings after a long conversation with Phil sat round the fire last night it appears I have firstly a fear of dead leisure batteries and secondly a fear of ruining my reputation as a hard northern wildcampers that has already betrayed the inner me by buying a motorhome to start with instead of sticking with my self builds and small campers, anyhow as I was out on the road with the all singing all dancing 12v Guru and he assured me that all would be well with my system and I wouldn’t wake up to alarms going off telling me I had killed my batteries and my solar could not cope as it’s winter and I could if all else fails run my engine and top up my batteries.
Well I did it I turned my heating on at about 8.45 last night it’s now 8.54 and it’s been on low for 12 hours Taya ( the dog for those that do not know ) and I woke up to a balmy 12 deg this morning -1 outside Taya was so impressed she was spread eagled on her back on top of the covers instead of curled up into a ball under the covers and my batteries are showing 80% full and I’m going to leave it on all day I fear now my gas consumption will rise from 7/8 litres over 8 days but as I have 40 something at my disposal it’s win win there is a but to all this I would appreciate nobody mentioning this to Mr Campervanannie (Bill) as he may want to play out a lot more often and bring forward his retirement date which is pencilled in for his 68th birthday 😂😂😂😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)