Do you carry a scooter or motorbike in your garage?

SimonM

Forum Member
Maybe not quite so relevant, but my last MOT was at a commercial HGV garage as it made it easy for me to drive to. When I received my pass paperwork it included both front and rear axle weights, I’m assuming taken when the MH went up onto the brake tester?

Squiffy

Forum Member
With the company I use for MOT's their brake tester is connected to the DVSA and they are never sure of a pass until they receive the results back.
When I used to go to a ministry testing station I was advised to have as much weight on as possible as it increases the accuracy of the tester.
As for measured weights on a brake tester you can't combine the weights to get the overall weight. Pythagoras involves his wicked self. The length and angle of the vehicle will change the axle weight.
Sri Squirrel I disagree with that when testing front and back axle weights on a weigh bridge the recognised way is to drive the vehicle front axle on to the bridge then weigh check after this you drive the whole vehicle onto the weigh bridge getting total vehicle weight. For back axle weight the front axle weight is deducted from the total weight. As the fulcrum from front axle to back axle remains constant no matter how far onto the weigh bridge the front axle is so long as the back axle remains off the bridge. Of course you could do it in reverse but the sums would still result in the same weight distribution. Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Sri Squirrel I disagree with that when testing front and back axle weights on a weigh bridge the recognised way is to drive the vehicle front axle on to the bridge then weigh check after this you drive the whole vehicle onto the weigh bridge getting total vehicle weight. For back axle weight the front axle weight is deducted from the total weight. As the fulcrum from front axle to back axle remains constant no matter how far onto the weigh bridge the front axle is so long as the back axle remains off the bridge. Of course you could do it in reverse but the sums would still result in the same weight distribution. Phil
I was writing about calculating overall weight on a brake tester at an MOT station. I know my theory is sound as I have to take similar measurements at work and it doesn’t take much to throw the numbers out.

Squiffy

Forum Member
This is a gov recommended way of measuring the weight of a vehicle that will not fit on a weigh bridge, the principle is the same as a rolling brake tester weighing the front and rear axles and combining the two to get the vehicle weight, it may not be precise but obviously good enough for government purposes of legal weight.

🤔 Phil

The weighing of a load or vehicle in two or more stages. For example If an articulated vehicle cannot fit onto a weighbridge plate, the vehicle’s weight is calculated by placing the front axles on the weighbridge and noting the weight and then doing the same for the rear axles. The front and rear axle weights are added together to find the total weight of the vehicle. It is illegal to carry out a double weighing where that weighing will be used for a trade transaction.

This is an extract for ease of reading for those that don't want to troll through the pdf.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)