D v l a success

djdf1

hi after a summer conversion of a vauxhall movano long wheel base van .i sent 14 photos of the conversion stage by stage with a letter explaining each part and what had actually been done .sent them together with the log book late nov ,last sat photos where returned just with a complimence of dvla notr , Then last thursday morning log book returned now official movano motor caravan. a friend who does converts as aliving warned me to do this and it was as simple as that just have more photos than you need . i will up load some photos
later

daz

congrats, it's such a relief when the log book finally arrives with the magical words on isn't it.

djdf1

congrats, it's such a relief when the log book finally arrives with the magical words on isn't it.

it was a shock when the photos came back i thought they were or them to keep ,my first thought was oh now for the vosa in chester but then a week later suprised again but i did write a 2 page description of every thing that was done even down to lpg stickers added after photos were taken but obviously worth the effort after the effort with the build

Last edited:

daz

You did more than me then, I sent 8 pictures & a letter saying "I've converted my panel van to a motorhome can you update the v5 accordingly" :)
Wordsworth I'm not.

garvs11

I had my van Mot'd as a class 4 van sent a copy of the mot and 4 pictures and hey presto it came back as MOTOR Caravan.

GRWXJR

Can someone explain the advantages I don't know please?

Hi,

Read this thread with interest. My recently aquired (and 1st) campervan (Christened 'Sully' by the gf) has already been home-converted by a previous owner (not the one I bought it from - he just sued it for overnights at Moto-X meetings, and didn't seem to know how half of the stuff worked (or IF it worked - turns out some of it didn't!).

Anyway - I've seen the lists of things you are supposed to have on-line, and apart from a fixed install table I'm pretty much there I think.

Right.. I understand that one advantage is that my Class 7 twin-wheel 3.5tonne LDV Convoy can be Mot'd to the slightly less stringent Class 4 test if it is a Motor Caravan. But... I've also read that the Tester should test it as a Class 4 anyway, as he can adjudge it to be a Campervan simply by looking at it? I do get it though that if its comes up from VOSA as a motor caravan then there's no argument.

I got campervan insurance with no hassle without it being re-registered as well (I'm with a firm called 2gether Insurance, & it seemed a reasonable deal).

So.... what am I missing please? What is it that really makes re-registering worth the time and aggro?

daz

for me, it was the cheaper insurance & higher speed limits, it also helps with the resale value when you come to move on. There was no time or agro, couple of pics, an envelope & a stamp, jobsagoodun. The permanently fixed table can be one that folds away & is freestanding as long as it fixes to a wall when not in use similar to this one CARAVAN FOLDING TABLE | eBay that's how I interpreted the rules anyway

AuldTam

Well if its registered as a motor caravan and you have it insured as such you're 100% legal and it's not a panel van with beds n stuff bolted in the back which would void your insurance...hence illegal.

When you go for an MOT the station's computer will tell the examiner what class mot, etc, and what to inspect...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)