Citroen relay 2.2 diesel 2003, 116.000 miles. Worth converting?

Davy53

Citreon relay 2.2 diesel (2003) 116.000 miles. I have most of the service history, and it has been already roughly done ,I.e. double bed ,hob ,Cass toilet, I,m thinking of adding a propex heater/shower . But wondering if it will be worth doing ,spending the money on because I, m intending doing a lot of milage back and forwards to Spain. And I,m worried that the citreon won't be tough enough/build quality,,engine realability etc to handle it. Do other owners of citreons have vans that have achieved high mileages ,say 150 to the 200k Mark. ,with relatively few mechanical issues? Thanks Davy53

sparrks

Citreon relay 2.2 diesel (2003) 116.000 miles. I have most of the service history, and it has been already roughly done ,I.e. double bed ,hob ,Cass toilet, I,m thinking of adding a propex heater/shower . But wondering if it will be worth doing ,spending the money on because I, m intending doing a lot of milage back and forwards to Spain. And I,m worried that the citreon won't be tough enough/build quality,,engine realability etc to handle it. Do other owners of citreons have vans that have achieved high mileages ,say 150 to the 200k Mark. ,with relatively few mechanical issues? Thanks Davy53

That's barely run in, my concern would be the state of the bodywork - how much rust, is the body in sound condition?

janner

hi,before buying a 15yo diesel check that you wont be affected by the existing or impending emission legislation that is being talked about euro/uk wide,
all the best,
jan

Wanderer015

hi,before buying a 15yo diesel check that you wont be affected by the existing or impending emission legislation that is being talked about euro/uk wide,
all the best,
jan

a 2003 diesel van will be Euro 3 compliant, to drive into a lot of European cities LEZ now require a minimum Euro 4 diesel engines 2006 onwards

Last edited:

Wooie1958

Forum Member
Change oil and filters regular and it will be fine, they are built to handle that and more.

As has already been said my concern would be the bodywork / chassis.

ricc

is the body long enough and high enough

as its citroen you should be able to find mechanics who know whats what on your way , through france

assuming its high top and lwb the amount of rust in the floor and chassis would be my concern.

john1974

hi davey i am doing same.. van , age and mileage..

as said rust is your main enemy .. do check carefully especially the rear area around spring hangers.
the engine seems to be a stroked version of the psa 8v hdi ..a very good engine that often reaches interstellar mileages with the usual attention on clean oil and not too many short journeys ..

if it's a cheap/good enough van it's worth doing I would say..even if it's s practise for something grander later

john

Davy53

Citroen relay 2.2 (2003)

That's barely run in, my concern would be the state of the bodywork - how much rust, is the body in sound condition?

Thanks for reply ,bodywork has had new cills and apart from dents, is good.

Davy53

Citroen relay 2.2 (2003) 'worth converting'

hi davey i am doing same.. van , age and mileage..

as said rust is your main enemy .. do check carefully especially the rear area around spring hangers.
the engine seems to be a stroked version of the psa 8v hdi ..a very good engine that often reaches interstellar mileages with the usual attention on clean oil and not too many short journeys ..

if it's a cheap/good enough van it's worth doing I would say..even if it's s practise for something grander later

john

Hello John ,why do say 'not too many short journeys' ? Ta Davy 53

john1974

hi davey .I am led to believe that engines generally and particularly diesels and older diesels just need long hot runs often ..I have pics from my 2.2 before I rebuilt it and the deposits in the egr system were 95% blocking the pipework .. I suspect it is more than just cold engines.. the egr system, the oil and other factors ..

others will no doubt know more ...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)