CBE DS300 Option A or B on D+

dkirk

Forum Member
Hello Everyone.
I am new here and so hello to everyone. I am building a camper using a 2011 Ducato long wheel base. I shall be doing the electrics soon. I have bought the CBE PC210 kit and the instructions are not great. I have googled and youtubed but cannot find the answer. Does anyone know what it means on the ds300 instructions when it says D+ option A or B. Do not know which option I am supposed to use..

thanks

Dave

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Welcome
I've not used that kit / product so can't help ya, if you can take photo's and post them. someone will help.
Is it your first van biuld ?.

wildebus

Forum Member
Hello Everyone.
I am new here and so hello to everyone. I am building a camper using a 2011 Ducato long wheel base. I shall be doing the electrics soon. I have bought the CBE PC210 kit and the instructions are not great. I have googled and youtubed but cannot find the answer. Does anyone know what it means on the ds300 instructions when it says D+ option A or B. Do not know which option I am supposed to use..

thanks

Dave
I think Option A is used when the D+ line goes high (+ve) when engine starts;. Option B is for a vehicle where the D+ line goes low (-ve) when engine starts.
Almost certainly you will want to use Option A but the only way to be sure is get a meter on the D+ line you intend to connect to the PC210 and check what happens when you start the engine - goes from float to +12V range or drops to 0V.

In fact, looking at the manual, in option A, it doesn't even use the D+ signal as such, it can use the ignition ("+key" ON) line and depending on the voltage level, turn on and off. Pasted the manual section below ....

Condition A: with "+ key" ON signal and car battery voltage > 13,5V. The functions are deactivated with "+ key" OFF or with voltage < 12,5V.
Condition B: with "+ key" ON signal and "D+" negative signal (-). The functions are deactivated in absence of one of those two signals

N.B.: in presence of both conditions, the functions are deactivated in absence of the "+ key" signal. The D+ functions can be activated only if the B2 leisure battery is connected
The functions are deactivated in absence of one of those two signals.

Last edited:

dkirk

Forum Member
Hello

Thanks for the replies. I think I get it now. I may be able to use option B I think as the DS300 has a connection for D= ground and +key on, which i can find in the converters socket by the door pillar. If not I have seen an article whereby I can fit a relay and turn it to D+. This kit is really quite expensive but the instructions are vague to say the least. I suppose they expect more knowledge than I have from the people who fit the. Yes this is my first build. I always wondered how campers can be so expensive. Now I am building one I can see why. Its the little things like clips and pipes and wire etc, soon adds up. I expected the large items like fridges to be the back breaker but all the extra fittings really add to the cost. Fun though

wildebus

Forum Member
It is pretty simple using a relay to make a -ve control line send a +ve signal. I don't know how much a defined kit would be, but the parts to do so would be easily under a fiver.
I would be inclined to use Option A anyway. Based on the manual, you just connect the ignition/key on line to both the pins and then if the ignition is on AND the engine is running, the PC210 sees the engine running.

As a recap...
Systems used to rely on a signal line to tell them the engine was running. I.e. the D+ signal (this is the same signal that extinguishes the dashboard BATTERY light - light comes on when engine running ... Lost/low alternator voltage so no D+)
Manufacturers have tended to move to voltage-sensing methods so the system will turn on when the supply voltage is above a certain voltage. This makes it easier to fit for the installer and quite probably cheaper to make no doubt.
Some manufacturers do have the option to use either method for more flexibility. It looks like the CBE unit is one of those (CBE make good quality kit so no surprise really). They are also Italian so could well have implemented a feature to directly support a Ducato/FIAT wiring standard.

I have my own B2B setup in this way as it happens... The ignition must be ON and the starter battery voltage at a certain voltage (not just 12V) for the B2B to activate.

Last edited:

dkirk

Forum Member
It is pretty simple using a relay to make a -ve control line send a +ve signal. I don't know how much a defined kit would be, but the parts to do so would be easily under a fiver.
I would be inclined to use Option A anyway. Based on the manual, you just connect the ignition/key on line to both the pins and then if the ignition is on AND the engine is running, the PC210 sees the engine running.
Yes, you are right. I do already have the relay and they at least are as cheap as chips. Mind you, chips aren't cheap these days;)

dkirk

Forum Member
As an update. Got it working fine. Ran a wire from converter socket pin 13 to the white block from the charger unit (cube 516) and it works fine.
next problem though is which connection for the fridge. It’s a crux 50 compressor fridge
thanks
dave

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)