Camperan value

badgerdid

Hi
I am insured with adrian flux and my ex minibus is now registered as a motorcaravan, i have informed them and i didnt have to pay anymore, but it is due for renewal the end of august and now its finished it is obviously worth more than it was as a minibus.
I am asking how do i now get it valued for future insurance quotes? a mate said to put it in for a part exchange on a new one and see what they offer, add £1000 to that to get a value, is this how others did it or is there somewhere you can go to get it valued?

Any advice appreciated

Sky

Sadly, what it's worth and what an insurance company will pay out is worlds apart. :(

Insurance (IMO) is a tax on poor people. ;)

You will probably need to prove its value - I've done this in the past (through a Loss Adjuster) by finding adverts for similar vehicles that are up for sale and providing those details.

I've no experience of this with campers though, but as there are many on here who have home builds I'm sure you'll have a definitive answer soon. :)

martyncc

Sadly, what it's worth and what an insurance company will pay out is worlds apart. :(

Insurance (IMO) is a tax on poor people. ;)

You will probably need to prove its value - I've done this in the past (through a Loss Adjuster) by finding adverts for similar vehicles that are up for sale and providing those details.

I've no experience of this with campers though, but as there are many on here who have home builds I'm sure you'll have a definitive answer soon. :)
i asked my insurance company ... they said cost of replacing the van ..plus cost to replace items in the van .but not your labour to fit them it ... it came to just short of 3k plus van value

Cass

When Ive had conversions in the past I have had an agreed valuation through Adrian Flux they asked for several pictures and documentation as long as its a realistic valuation there shouldn't be a problem

plasticflower

I can't offer advice but I have exactly same question as my insurance is also due for renewal - I will watch for replies on this too. For now I've gone through listings (gumtree etc) to see what others are selling theirs for.

Thanks for posting! :D

hextal

As above, essentially parts but not labour. I have big file of receipts for just that case.

It's also why I'm kinda protective of it cos it's my time and effort spent that would really get to me if it got nicked.

Plus self builds rarely go for much cos the quality can be so varied, even though you often see some that put pro-built vans to shame, you also often see some that you wouldn't touch with someone else's.

Last edited by a moderator:

martyncc

As above, essentially parts but not labour. I have big file of receipts for just that case.

It's also why I'm kinda protective of it cos it's my time and effort spent that would really get to me if it got nicked.

Plus self builds rarely go for much cos the quality can be so varied, even though you often see some that put pro-built vans to shame, you also often see some that you wouldn't touch with someone else's.

Its a good idea to do a builders. Manual as you go... The biggest problem with self builds knowing how it all works. I have left my van to my granddaughter in my will so I'm constructing a manual for her

wildebus

Forum Member
Its a good idea to do a builders. Manual as you go... The biggest problem with self builds knowing how it all works. I have left my van to my granddaughter in my will so I'm constructing a manual for her
That is a good idea for all builds :ditto:

For my VW T4, I posted a compete "warts and all" conversion build thread from the day I bought her right through to the for sale time.
When the time came, I had a lot of people wanting to buy as they could see everything that had been done, including repairs and derusting and repainting.
I also kept all reciepts for parts bought, etc and filed with the service invoices for the new owners for their own records and insurance purposes

Ref insurance, I am with A-Plan insurance and once I completed the conversion for my T5 a couple of weeks ago, I called them up and upped the agreed value with them. They didn't ask for photos, but suggested I ensure I have evidence of all the updates and extras added to confirm my valuation should the need arise.

I am not sure if the idea/principle of discounting all your own labour costs is a valid one either. Just because you choose to do something yourself rather then pay a garage to do the work doesn't mean it is worth less.
Example: I have an Eberspacher D2 Airtronic Heater installed...
Supply & Fit of one of these is around the £1,300. I bought mine from PF Jones for £600 and installed it myself. End result, product and benefit is the same, but why would an insurance company be able to knock off £700 if I don't have an receipt for Labour as well.
Same with my Cruise Control... No labour receipt means it is worth £150 less?

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)