Callipers - Cheap or Not ?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Colourful !!!
We can't use the basic mitutoyo's due to our harsh environment. We use the coolant resistant ones. Sadly we have to replace them as every six months as they wear out.

As for the cheapies, I often wondered why when you picked them up they didn't work. So makes sense to remove the battery.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Boot fair 1 pound I'm not an engineer yet.lol 15932728411365756599011112862228.jpg
15932728411365756599011112862228.jpg
15932728411365756599011112862228.jpg

Nabsim

Forum Member
I have had my vernier callipers years and aren’t digital. Not sure if you could buy digital ones when I got them. I started with verniers and micrometers back in 1968 though lol

wildebus

Forum Member
I bet you'd struggle to find a modern engineer that knows what a vernier scale is, let alone read one.
I remember checking the battery on my V-TECH laptop with the original BMV ....
1593282676964.png

But it is true that when I did my O Levels, calculators were not allowed as only the rich kids had them so they had to level out the playing field. But we were allowed Slide Rules and my Maths Teacher found some DIY Kits so we could make our own (Slide Rules usually being more expensive than Calculators!)

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
We weren't allowed slide rules in the o levels, only log tables! and you try telling kids today.
What ever happened to reddyreconers? (Help if I'm wrong please.)
If I spelt it wrong ! Book Had the multiple tables up to if I remember right 100 X . While kids in Lewisham bridge were looking / remembering with repation 2 up 12 timestable up to 12, iwent up to 99x99 with that book.lol
I love numbers.

Nabsim

Forum Member
You used to still get tables printed in stationary but not bought anything for a long time that might have had them. Certainly if you bought A4 diaries you could get them. Do you mean the little red (other colours were available) pocket books that just contained tables? I remember when I was an apprentice I had a variety that gave all sorts of conversions but that was before we went decimal 😂

in fact a quick Google: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...epage&q=conversion table pocket books&f=false

wildebus

Forum Member
I remember the Log Tables were essential for tangents, cosines and all those other things you HAD to know for the exams and likely never ever used afterwards :)

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I remember the Log Tables were essential for tangents, cosines and all those other things you HAD to know for the exams and likely never ever used afterwards :)
Unfortunately they crop up in my work from time to time. Getting the syntax right for the particular software is a pain. I shout for help when ever possible.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
You used to still get tables printed in stationary but not bought anything for a long time that might have had them. Certainly if you bought A4 diaries you could get them. Do you mean the little red (other colours were available) pocket books that just contained tables? I remember when I was an apprentice I had a variety that gave all sorts of conversions but that was before we went decimal 😂

in fact a quick Google: https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=g3PfU5VFyScC&pg=PA4&lpg=PA4&dq=conversion+table+pocket+books&source=bl&ots=5u1ExWeiu3&sig=ACfU3U18xvRAT9Drv1ILCARpPTfesoZE2A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjepf2D7abqAhVOhlwKHbnYDpEQ6AEwDHoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=conversion table pocket books&f=false

Yes that's the one.😍 maybe that's why I was given it ! decimalation.lol I thought they loved me.i was 7

n brown

Forum Member
i have bought a couple of digital verniers over the years,they seem to go wrong when you need them most ,i'm happy with a s/s one from Halfords . they work fine

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)