Cable sizing

Annaelliott

Forum Member
Hi Guys,
I have absolutely no experience with electrics at all and was hoping for some advice.
I have two 100w solar panels hooked up in parallel with combined amps of 9.82 will a 6mm2 cable be large enough for connecting to the solar charger and to the battery?
I’m only looking to run a few led lights and around 4/5 usb socket plugs in the van and won’t need 230v mains electric.
Can someone please give me some advice on what sized wires in mm2 or mm would be best for this very simple electric set up?
And if I should be using twin core cable or two separate cables?
If anyone could help I would be very appreciate I’ve been driving myself mad with it all day. Thank you, Anna.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Hi Anna,
Really and in my view 4mm2 cable will be sufficient for your purposes for supply from the solar panels and is comparatively cheap on Ebay or Amazon. Don't forget though that the solar supply will need to be through a solar panel regulator. Phil

This might be helpful.

Last edited:

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
On the roof your need ultraviolet sun ray stuff. I used 30amp twin black and red on roof and it got sun fade .

also .depends on your distances from batteries and or solar controller. Your 12v kit is For in van ....

trevskoda

Forum Member
The cable should be under the panels, and best way through the roof is a boat deck gland, the black plastic type are good, mount it also under a panel away from sun and rain.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)