Black sooty looking exhaust smoke.

karlpe

Driving along yesterday I noticed black smoke coming from exhaust now and again. This looked like soot as was very black and thick. Should I be worried and its a 2.4 duratorq Ford diesel turbo.

Fletch6

It's usually dirty injectors or maybe the pump has been turned up too much. I suppose it depends how bad it is regarding whether you get it looked at or not.

delicagirl

before i had my 2.5 diesel mitsubishi serviced and new filters and injectors - it used to do this - it doesn't do this now.

GWAYGWAY

When I had been tootling along small country lanes at lowish speeds the particulate filter would load up and then once on a main road or slip road when I put the foot down it would be burning it all off and smoke a lot for about a mile until it had gone. That was a tdci duratorque transit and normally was all OK. If it is continuous then check turbo connections and hose for leaks and whether or not it is running alright. Filter change if it is blocked will do the same thing.

craig9760

its the EGR valve sticking open needs cleaning or a new one
had the same thing happen to 1 of our vans

David Morison

Definitely sounds like EGR issues. It needs cleaning and then deleting by a remap. My Nissan Elgrand had a slightly sooty exhaust but now I have disabled it the exhaust is clean, oil isn't getting so dirty either.

David

welshrarebit

We have that same van with the same issue, we have the mot in 2 weeks will it pass with black smoke comimg out?

karlpe

Drove back 70 mile to home and it didn,t throw out any smoke at all. Will have to keep a close eye on it.

gordy

Black smoke caused by rich mixture or more to the point leaking, dribbling injectors. If your EGR was stuck open you would suffer from power loss and engine shutdowns. That's why people have discovered there car runs better with it isolated/blanked off. And for those that think the EGR is open on acceleration/booting it, you need max oxygen in air with the fuel to get max acceleration and not spent air. When your engine starts to shut down on acceleration due to injectors bypassing fuel to return to tank get them refurbished...Unless MOT fails its emmisions.....

Haaamster

We have that same van with the same issue, we have the mot in 2 weeks will it pass with black smoke comimg out?

Probably not, try adding an injector cleaner into your diesel tank and see if it clears. If you feel able I would suggest doing a diesel purge using a product called Liquid Moly, about £10 from amazon. There are videos on YouTube how to use it. If not stick to an addative.

Mojo77

Not sure if it's the same, but my 2007 Mondeo kicks out black smoke now and again. The mechanic at the garage cleaned out the EGR valve (£40) and said supermarket diesel was most likely the problem. I've avoided it ever since and while there's still some smoke when I put my foot down, it's a lot better than it was. Used to have a Suzuki that stalled at lights whenever I used a certain supermarket's petrol :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)