Any skylights/vents that will extend roof height by 15cm when closed?

transitcat

Hi guys,
I have been offered the opportunity to get a swb transit with semi high roof of 174cm. I am 183cm and have tried out that height at home and its not too bad stooping a bit to move around the van, especially since its such a small van.

However, I feel it would be nice/essential to be able to stand fully upright at one part of the van, and maybe have it so I can stand upright at the sink/stove (depending on the location of the roof pillars).

So am looking for the best skylight that will allow that extra head room (ideally with the vent closed). I think a standard 40x40cm one should be satisfactory (and much cheaper than a bigger one) and thats about as far as I've got. Was looking at the seitz mini heki but it seems the bar you use to open the light would be in the way of my head unless its completely open. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any wisdom or knowledge about a particular vent. Thanks a lot. 10cm shouldn't be too hard to make up I wouldn't have thought!

n brown

Forum Member
make a frame from upvc or hardwood ,mount it on the roof, then fix the skylight to it , easy

if you're feeling brave, build a molycroft down the middle

Last edited:

Derekoak

Headroom

The mini heki should give some headroom fully closed, your head inside the frame, very little in open 1 and 2, and most fully open when you can put your head up and look around

Byronic

Have a deco at the Fiamma 50x50 pantogragh roof light. May provide enough headroom, should be a lot cheaper than a what the Hecki price roof light.

Last edited by a moderator:

hextal

At the risk of asking a daft question (I like being that guy) why not get a van with a taller load space?

Another thing to factor in is the potential extra lost clearance as a result of insulation, ply-lining and flooring.

transitcat

Have a deco at the Fiamma 50x50 pantogragh roof light. May provide enough headroom, should be a lot cheaper than a what the Hecki price roof light.

from the research I've seen this seems to be my best bet. Don't supposes anyone reading this owns one?

Byronic

from the research I've seen this seems to be my best bet. Don't supposes anyone reading this owns one?

I fitted one on friends van years ago, main thing to consider is roof curvature the flange on the vent is straight and can't be altered and can't be curved, so the flatter the roof the better. Use s/s screws for fixing and Sikaflex elastomer 710 for sealant that's what I"ve used on the dozen or so Fiamma 400 x 400 vents I've fitted over the years.....no leaks even though the 500x500 fixes in a differing manner to the 400. You can buy direct from Fiamma UK usually cheaper than eBay suppliers and sometimes a discount.

trevskoda

Forum Member
You could try one of these, if brave and have a metal cutting jigsaw!!

Joking apart, this gives about 250mm over most of the floor area.View attachment 49232View attachment 49233:goodluck:

Best post so far,seen a home made unit in alloy with landrover type 4inch roof widows in each side,looked the bogs dollocks.
A grp unit could be made but time may be a factor,though there may be other things that cam be adopted.
Now where did i put that old tin bath.

Byronic

Best post so far,seen a home made unit in alloy with landrover type 4inch roof widows in each side,looked the bogs dollocks.
A grp unit could be made but time may be a factor,though there may be other things that cam be adopted.
Now where did i put that old tin bath.

Except the OP was looking for roof light/vent, and not, presumably a pop top roof.
Reimo make top quality pop top roofs, a straght fit version for VW vans and an optional version that can be edge trimmed to suit other vans eg transits. I've fitted the VW version to 2 vans, not a difficult job.
But pricey, +£600 a piece 10 years ago.

n brown

Forum Member
you may laugh but in one of my daughters' vans i used a s/s mixing bowl to give enough headroom for an overhead shower head. looked ok too

TJBi

Hi guys,
I have been offered the opportunity to get a swb transit with semi high roof of 174cm. I am 183cm and have tried out that height at home and its not too bad stooping a bit to move around the van, especially since its such a small van. <snip>

If it's a Mk.6 or Mk.7 Transit, make sure that you know how to minimise the risk of it being stolen - theft of these Transits is alarmingly easy.

A good place to start is here: https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forum...25-transit-based-motorhomes-being-stolen.html

Essential to address the Tibbe lock issue and the OBD port; other deterrents are also useful.

Byronic

you may laugh but in one of my daughters' vans i used a s/s mixing bowl to give enough headroom for an overhead shower head. looked ok too

And presumably a colander for each foot in the floor as the shower tray!

n brown

Forum Member
you use what you've got. on the same van i used a catering s/s sink with a treated ply lid bolted on as an underfloor water tank, held about 25 gallons
on another bus i used a domestic insulated copper cylinder hung in steel straps for water, it held 35 gallons .
well it did till it came off going round a hairpin in the Atlas mountains and ripped the bus skirt off as it went . quite exciting

Byronic

That copper tank was probably half unbolted by some thieving local scrote the night before, and would have ended up bashed into a mint tea set and silver plated.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)