Another Little Self-Build

• Thread starter Deleted member 12559
  • Start date

Deleted member 12559

Snapped this one in south of Spain early this year, German Reg.
A Merc. Type 2 SWB Vario, was in pristine condition, looked very cute.
Type 2s came in Short, Medium and Long Wheelbase, rare to see a
conversion on a Shortarse. Most vans and conversions are on LWB.

EU 2021 086.JPG

wildebus

Forum Member
Looks very good :)

I can see how this would be good if someone had a specific need for a shorter van (parking limitations maybe? I bought a MWB Master even though the LWB would have been better as the extra few inches would have meant I couldn't park it without blocking in my neighbour).

Deleted member 12559

Looks very good :)

I can see how this would be good if someone had a specific need for a shorter van (parking limitations maybe? I bought a MWB Master even though the LWB would have been better as the extra few inches would have meant I couldn't park it without blocking in my neighbour).
Agreed, you'd specific niche requirements to justify such a short shorty. This van was probably a 613D or
614D which means that it would have a GVW of 5.9tonnes with a payload of nearly 3tonnes, even after
the conversion weight is taken off there's a fairly mighty margin to play with.
Merc. have over the years produced so many permutations on this body, there was even a LWB with
a payload, of wait for it ......up to 250kg. Presumably to carry fresh air or exp. polystyrene. !!
Only made on low roof body option, to save a bit of weight so as to get 3500kg GVW status.

wildebus

Forum Member
looks pretty standard for a dually I would say?
apart from the length, wheels seem the same as my VW LT (aka Sprinter Mk1) - 15" 6-stud wheels with duals at the back with arch extensions

Deleted member 12559

Apart from a petrol engined version and a 2.299cc diesel on 14" rims! Both rare in the UK, all Type 2s ie Vario and pre Vario range all came on either 16" or 17.5" rims.

This particular little beast, I'm fairly certain was on 17.5" rims but 205 section tyres,anyway it did give it a chunky look.
Unlike my van which is a LWB on 16"rims but 225 section tyres. I prefer the taller rims with skinnier
tyres.

The only downside on this van IMO is the fact that it is a Vario, which means it sports the 4250cc electronic managed engine. Apart from MB Commercial Outlets there are very few options in getting a properly equipped garage, should it need diagnostic attention, particularly in outback Europe and beyond. It's also not considered overall to be as reliable as the non electronic versions. For sure (unfortunately), they have much the same perennial body rust deficiencies!
Ease of maintenance and repair are the main reasons I keep my straightforward non electronic non turbo earlier
incarnation..

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)