About to fit the gas system to the van

Red Dwarf

Forum Member
This is the entire gas system for the van!
image.jpg

I did have a piece of pipe in the shed, but on inspection it was twenty eight years old! As much as it pained me, I splashed out on a new length... New clips too!

Millie Master

Forum Member
Doesn't it hurt having to chuck away new stuff that has passed the use by date!

I am in the process of packing up my garage in readiness for yet another house move and I have undertaken a very long overdue clear out of quite literally hundreds of £'s worth of screws, nuts, bolts, springs etc. etc., however I have found a good home for it all by giving it to the technical department of a local secondary school.

Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
With regards to pipes and the life of them, I have a question to ask.

Just like with tyres, flexible gas pipes like the one you have just purchased @Red Dwarf which have a date stamped on them, they should be changed at recommended intervals, however if the pipe appears to be in excellent condition with no cracks and no discolouring of the outer case is it essential to change the pipe or simply best practice to do so?

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
With regards to pipes and the life of them, I have a question to ask.

Just like with tyres, flexible gas pipes like the one you have just purchased @Red Dwarf which have a date stamped on them, they should be changed at recommended intervals, however if the pipe appears to be in excellent condition with no cracks and no discolouring of the outer case is it essential to change the pipe or simply best practice to do so?

Phil
Can it go porous without any outward indication?
I don't have an answer based on knowledge, but I noticed when I fitted the steel-braided pipe supplied with the Gaslow kit last week, it had two dates on it, one which expired in 10 years, and another that expired in 20 years, and you use one or other depending on what use you were putting the pipe to. So I am guessing there is some science behind the regulations and recommendations (and on that basis, I personally would change the pipe, especially an inexpensive & basic one that that)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)