3 Way Fridge Wiring Question

Robbo777

Forum Member
Hi All
So I have an Electrolux 3 way fridge installed in my 1999 Elddis Motorhome and I just need to clarify a few things please.

I'll try set the scene so please bear with me.

So when resting with no loads on, my leisure battery is at 12.7v and my engine battery resting at pretty much the same.

When I start my van engine both batteries raise their voltage to about 14.4v as expected.

When I turn my fridge on, the leisure battery stays at around 14v but the current draw is around 8A but my engine battery raises to about 15.3v so my question is why 15.3v? this doesn't make sense to me.

I've made these checks recently as I have just had to replace my engine battery, probably due to the high voltage when my fridge is on.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I would guess that it's wired to only run on 12 volts when the engine is running, and that it's connected to the engine start battery. If this is so I'd be looking at replacing the regulator pack on the alternator.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
The 12v side of the fridge "should" be supplied via a Voltage Sensing Relay (VSR), basically, it senses the engine is running because the alternator is supplying volts to the VB, the VSR senses this and clicks open a connection to the fridge and usually to the LB as well.

However, if I'd read the OP properly I'd have noticed it's not a self build, DOH!!

I'll go back to sleep as I dunno how Elddis do stuff.

Nabsim

Forum Member
The 12v side of the fridge "should" be supplied via a Voltage Sensing Relay (VSR), basically, it senses the engine is running because the alternator is supplying volts to the VB, the VSR senses this and clicks open a connection to the fridge and usually to the LB as well.

However, if I'd read the OP properly I'd have noticed it's not a self build, DOH!!

I'll go back to sleep as I dunno how Elddis do stuff.
Should still be either VSR or d+ from ignition, my Geist is from ignition d+ 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)