12v light fittings/bulbs/switches /fuse boxes etc

karakachan

Hi everyone
Another ?....this time about 12v fittings for my truck...Can you recommend suppliers where you might have got yours from in the past/present.
Not looking for any fancy fittings at silly prices,as we know mention motorhome and they add a diget..lol.
Any links would be good
Thanks again from a mild BG.
Steve

karakachan

Oh,just as an after thought,what gauge is required for the wire...other than lights what other 12v fittings have people installed whilst building or adding to their m/h.
Cheers
Steve

trevskoda

Forum Member
Got just about everything from ebay,use lamp units which take a standard 382 single filiment bulb then install a soft or pure white led.
Switches from ebay with led inset light or use a 4 way remote on key ring.
Also a cigy usb unit for charging phones etc.

hairydog

A few pointers:
1. Don't buy 12v lights. The voltage will reach 14v or more, enough to burn a 12v LED very quickly. Only use ones suitable for 8v - 30v or similar.
2. Whatever fitting you use, be sure that the LEDs get some cooling. Heat shortens their life dramatically.
3. You may not need fittings at all. The self-adhesive led strips are absolutely great. Get the nano-coated sort rather than gel covered for better cooling. You can stick them to aluminium profile as a mount and heatsink.
4. I prefer warm white, but natural white is OK. Don't buy cool white. It looks good at first but it is very "unrestful" in the evening.
If you buy from China, it is very much a lucky dip. You may be better going to a good UK supplier such as LED Lights, GU10 LED Bulbs, LED Strip Lights, LED Flood Lights, LED Downlights (they mostly do strips, not bulbs) You will pay a bit more, but you get a better product and better support.

Last edited by a moderator:

trevskoda

Forum Member
A few pointers:
1. Don't buy 12v lights. The voltage will reach 14v or more, enough to burn a 12v LED very quickly. Only use ones suitable for 8v - 30v or similar.
2. Whatever fitting you use, be sure that the LEDs get some cooling. Heat shortens their life dramatically.
3. You may not need fittings at all. The self-adhesive led strips are absolutely great. Get the nano-coated sort rather than gel covered for better cooling. You can stick them to aluminium profile as a mount and heatsink.
4. I prefer warm white, but natural white is OK. Don't buy cool white. It looks good at first but it is very "unrestful" in the evening.
If you buy from China, it is very much a lucky dip. You may be better going to a good UK supplier such as LED Lights, GU10 LED Bulbs, LED Strip Lights, LED Flood Lights, LED Downlights You will pay a bit more, but you get a better product and better support.

Car led bulbs are 100% as the voltage can hit 15v easy,there made to take it and i have yet in almost 5 years to have one from china pack in.

bobj808

Hi, I've done a bit of wiring on my motorhome. I've changed all the bulbs to LED - note you should not use 12v domestic led bulbs. I removed a silly halogen carbuncle of a door light and fitted a Fiamma led gutter light above the door - it is controlled by a 15A rocker switched just inside the hab door, all fused to 3A. Neat. I also installed a 12V IP67 socket behind a removable fridge vent so I can plug in the lead for my Kampa Sabre led awning lights. I installed a touch on/off LED 'kitchen' light which is almost flat under the upper cupboards - great light. I have always bought everything from 12V Planet. They stock everything you will ever need to do any wiring etc on your mh or caravan. They have an instructional video on choosing the correct AWG of your flex for your job, fuse ratings etc AND you are free to phone them for advice. No, I don't own the company lol, but it is nice when you come across somewhere which stocks everything you will ever need at cheap prices, fast dispatch and able to give professional advice. Bob.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minisorella

I changed all the bulbs in my MH... bought them all from LED Bulbs 4U. They're good people to deal with - a father and son company who attend most motorhome shows and really know their stuff. They even re-wired 2 of my light fittings because they wouldn't take a straight bulb swap. I bought all warm white except for the bathroom, where warm white wasn't quite bright enough... so they exchanged it for me.

Home - Led Bulbs 4 U

I did buy couple of cheaper ones at first online but the fit just didn't feel right and one of them started smoking!... so I paid a little bit more and haven't had any problems since.

hairydog

Car led bulbs are 100% as the voltage can hit 15v easy,there made to take it and i have yet in almost 5 years to have one from china pack in.
Agreed. The first one I bought from China about eight years ago have been great and are still working well.

Some others I bought from China more recently were utter crap and had to be replaced very soon. As I said, it is a lucky dip. When you get good ones that last, it is well worth the little extra they cost.

hairydog

I changed all the bulbs in my MH... bought them all from LED Bulbs 4U. They're good people to deal with - a father and son company who attend most motorhome shows and really know their stuff. They even re-wired 2 of my light fittings because they wouldn't take a straight bulb swap. I bought all warm white except for the bathroom, where warm white wasn't quite bright enough... so they exchanged it for me.

Home - Led Bulbs 4 U

I did buy couple of cheaper ones at first online but the fit just didn't feel right and one of them started smoking!... so I paid a little bit more and haven't had any problems since.
They look they are selling the right stuff, but the prices are between five and ten times what you'd pay buying from China and double what I'd expect to pay to buy from a UK supplier.
Might be worth the extra to be sure you only have to buy once, though.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)