Useful and interesting article

Deleted member 951

What strikes me about that vehicle, is that it doesn't appear to have a loo and shower?

For such a large vehicle, they could have fitted in a really spacious bathroom.

Unless I am looking at it wrongly?

hairydog

Most owners pay more than £200 for their habitation and water ingress checks .
I'm sure you are right. Those checks are a terrible rip-off. You can buy a damp meter for a tenner and do your own checks. It will be just as effective. A habitation check does not have any specific scope or validity, But they do provide dealers with an easy income, I suppose.

Deleted member 2572

I'm sure you are right. Those checks are a terrible rip-off. You can buy a damp meter for a tenner and do your own checks. It will be just as effective. A habitation check does not have any specific scope or validity, But they do provide dealers with an easy income, I suppose.

Most owners are tied to them for their warranty, personally we didn't bother as I can't be arsed with that sort of nonsense and find the risk of owning a brand new motorhome without any warranty more exciting :dance:

trevskoda

Forum Member
more than the base vehicle in many cases! my T5 I sold a little while ago had many many thousands in parts added. My current conversion in progress will have £1500+ just in the leisure electrics alone.

What are you fitting ,a power station.
My total was under 1500 all in for fittings bedding lecy wood carpet wall lining.

Deleted member 2572

My total was under 1500 all in for fittings bedding lecy wood carpet wall lining.

I worked out something like 18k for the stuff to convert the library into a motorhome that was just appliances and materials no labour !
Then another 12k or more to buy the vehicle.

wildebus

Forum Member
I like watching a lot of the US "Van Life" Youtube channels.
It is quite interesting watching the variety of types of fitouts around. A lot of the guys in the US stick up some silver roll insulation, Nail together some wood for a bench, bit of foam (left uncovered) for a mattress and jobs done.
They seem to be happy with that but just looks too depressing to me. Be like living in a flat with plaster falling off the wall :(
And in the UK there is an obsession with hidden trim clips to avoid a single visible screw. The other extreme!

Just shows how it is impossible to say "it will be £xxx for a conversion" when everyones needs and desires are different.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Well, that may be your experience, but it is definitely not mine.
My motorhome is gaining in value (admittedly not much faster than inflation, though).
The insurance went up this year. It was £209 this year compared with £200 last year.
The maintenance was rather less than £200 in the last 12 months, though this year's service and MOT bill STILL hasn't arrived*, so may push it up a bit. So far it has cost three wiper blades at £3.50 each and a marker lamp (which I hit on a low hanging branch) at £4.99 including postage. I've not even had to top the oil up in 8,000 miles of driving. I did add an NTC sensor to the fridge fan this year. That cost another £3.

*The garage got some of the work done by a local HGV garage who are slow at sending invoices.

You are 3000 over due a change of oil.:hammer:

wildebus

Forum Member
I totted it up in my head this morning ....

£1500 was not a very accurate number :(

By the time I fit the various 240, 12V and USB sockets, etc (so anything to do with electric generation and supply), I will be likely over £2,000 :beer:

Deleted member 2572

I totted it up in my head this morning ....

£1500 was not a very accurate number :(

By the time I fit the various 240, 12V and USB sockets, etc (so anything to do with electric generation and supply), I will be likely over £2,000 :beer:

And that's cheap compared with what you can really spend,some of the boating lot spend thousands .
If you set up a van with generator, solar, large batteries and inverters you could quite easily spend 10 to 20 k

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)