Toy Hauler Build

wildebus

Forum Member
View attachment 53920View attachment 53921View attachment 53922View attachment 53923View attachment 53924
well a couple of inside . one before the conversion . one at the paris /dakar rally . the last one on the piste in morocco.
its been over rougher ground since then though .
did break a couple of springs in 2008 while going down the dades gorge .
and one year the rear trailer axle got bent being towed out backwards from a river in maroc .
one day i might learn not to push it too far. but changed the both axles and springs on return to uk .
peak trailers in bidford on avon .supplied the original ones from new . so i used them again . great service . and got every thing a trailer builder ever needs .

Very nice Alan.
Got a question for you ... insulation ... what did you use? Been looking at sound deadening and insulation options for my LT and while the sound deadening is not that relevent in a trailer, would appreciate hearing what you did for insulation as the options vary tremendously in price (seen a quote for over £500 to do a LT LWB vehicle which seems way over the top to me!)

vwalan

Very nice Alan.
Got a question for you ... insulation ... what did you use? Been looking at sound deadening and insulation options for my LT and while the sound deadening is not that relevent in a trailer, would appreciate hearing what you did for insulation as the options vary tremendously in price (seen a quote for over £500 to do a LT LWB vehicle which seems way over the top to me!)

hi. i used inch polystirene . and then thin ply . / that was 17yrs ago. these days i would use kingspan or something similar. i do get a bit of condensation sometimes on the roof inside . mind i built it for winter in africa .
i pushed the insulation between the ally uprights . these days i would screw inch wooden lathes to the uprights then kingspan in between then the ply . we live and learn .
shant be altering mine i cope .
the windows fitted the gaps between the uprights and i chose small for security and to stop the sun in winter making it too hot . plus small windows high up make chimneys for steam or smells . so no vents on the roof at all. seen so many break loose or get bashed on low branches etc .
like i said i never thought i would have it this long . possibly never sell it . might get my kids to burn my body in it and then i could be like a real gypsy. mind i bet they will want to keep using it .

vwalan

by the way i meant today i would kingspan but i forgot to say 50mm or what ever.
1inch just squeezed in nice between the ally uprights . but 1inch lathe and 2inch kingspan is better . have helped several since i did mine .
the tought of stripping mine out and altering it as been made but decided i can live with it .
the other thing i would do now is screw the ply length ways . i did mine up wards . so i got joins every 4ft . would have been better every 8ft or so.
the joins would then be hidden behind units or the seat backs . again we live and learn .
mind the b&q kitchen units and the roof lockers are really good gear. work a treat.

GreggBear

Copied from my Intro:
"I live in Spain and Wales, about half the time in each. Have various motorcycles. Semi-retired.

Just bought a 2008 Iveco Daily XLWB HiTop, panel van in good condition. Going to turn it into a single person motorhome. ...With room in the back for big motorbike(s). What the Americans call a Toy Hauler. What UK folk probably call a Motorsport Van.

The Living Bit big enough for one person to sleep/toilet/cook in comfort. The Garage Bit will be 9-10 foot long, the entire rear of the van."

So, someone said We Like Photos. Here you go:

With a second-hand wheelchair ramp: Ease of access, and riding bikes up. 300Kg SWL. So I will also carry a separate loading ramp.
View attachment 53823

And a - serious chunky steel - bulkhead to fit half way down:
View attachment 53824
60 x 40 x 3mm box section. Well strong. I have bracketry made to bolt it to the side structure and the floor. It will have to stand having motorcycle(s) strapped to it - and I don't want them joining me in the cab if I have to emergency-stop!

(And it'll give me a solid 'wall' to hang sink/cupboards/various motorhomey bits on)

---- Update

And the bulkhead is painted. Windows go in today : )
View attachment 55050

Looking good so far matey. Keep us posted looks like its gonna be nice when done, and good size too.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)