To shower or not to shower? That is the question.

hairydog

With a toilet, it is a motorhome, without one it is a campervan.

We find the shower really useful as a good place to hang laundry (or wet waterproofs) up to dry as well as for washing ourselves in.

Personally, I would not want a van without at least a smallish toilet and a shower. Of course, you are making it for yourself, not for me. You may want to sell it at some point in the future, though.

Stitch

I fitted a hot water system, swivel toilet and a shower before the trip to the Orkneys. What I found the most useful was the toilet, hot water and shower in that order. Truth be known I could do without the shower.

IanH

In UK we only nowadays do pub stops. Every 2nd or 3rd day we visit a local swimming pool, have a shower, then a swim, then another shower, good exercise, no parking problems, some help to the local economy

What we CAN do with our shower, is dry clothes in it. Truma 4E, all vents closed except the bathroom one, roof light open one notch, heating on full throttle, works a treat!
:dog:

Shorty

You use the words my and I suggesting that you travel alone so do without the shower cubicle go for the extra seat as who is going to be there to tell you that you smell. ?

Well......When i said MY, i obviously meant my good lady too.;) And iff i smell too much she has no hesitation in telling me straight away.

Byronic

I spied a van this morning signed "MOBILE DOG WASHING SERVICE', could be the solution for some, can't see why the operator should have any objection. I noted other services such as flea treatment (well you never know! ), and he might even give you a quick poodle style Brazilian clipping.

Last edited by a moderator:

colo60

shower

I fixed a 100mm round x 1200mm long ( can be longer ) plastic drainpipe to van roof assembled a filler cap on top ( find amongst plastic drainage / plumbing fittings ) , I then capped each pipe end ( these are about where pipe is on sale , Wickes or B&Q ) on the pipe end cap nearest to back door I fitted a 15mm copper threaded fitting plus short 15mm copper pipe with a 15mm tap, you can then attach shower head which as its own rubber / vinyl pipe ( approx 500mm ) over the copper pipe that protrudes out of the tap, this device can also be adapted by affixing 15mm copper pipe from 100mm plastic pipe capping to run 90 degree through van roof ( seal ) to a sink, obviously attach 15mm tap to this by the sink top. I travel france so I use black plastic that heats up with the sun, warms up anywhere there is sunshine though, don't overfill pipe as you need expansion void, also make sure the filler cap on top of 100 mm pipe can allow air before use to allow water to flow easier. This is simply a thought for anyone who may think it ok, or perhaps feel they can elaborate on it ... Cheers - Col

Purplesu

If I really needed the room in my van, I would probably skip putting a shower in. I would keep a plastic bowl or similar to give myself a quick daily wash and go to a gym for showering (3 times a week maybe or depending on your needs).

:wave:

Deleted member 36

We have owned four vans and a good usable shower has always been one of our priorities!
In 14 years of motorhoming, I can honestly say that we have skipped having a shower less times than the fingers on my hand!
Not saying our way is right, but or van is our home when we are away!:wave:
During the day, we might hang wet jackets or clothes in the space, but never anything heavy on the floor as the floor could get damaged

Roger

A friend has recently bought a Transit campervan without a shower and after one trip away was ready to trade it in. We scratched around a bit and came up with an LPG hot water service with a water pump included in it for about AU$250. Mounted it on the rear barn door with some cement sheet insulation and plumbed it all in, when the door closes the heater fits under the bed. A piece of dowel between the doors with a shower curtain and a similar setup across the back of the van to stop water getting in. They've just done a 2 month trip and are not looking for another van. A porta potty can also sit on the ground. A piece of campfloor to keep the feet clean and you can sit on the porta potty to dry your toes. Curtains have some small magnets glued on to keep things in place as well. Nice practical setup. Bit drafty first thing in the morning, so they have taken to showering at midday.

UKgregUK

How do you think you will use your van?

The answer to that will help you decide.. there is no right or wrong answer. We use our MWB self-build for wild camping and music festivals and only occasionally do we go to sites. Hence.. a shower is essential and so I worked that into the design. If you intend to stay at sites most of the time… maybe the space is best used elsewhere. Don’t worry about keep changing your mind… I spent 6 months designing mine before starting work… but four years on I would not have changed anything. Take a look at my vid.. Design, build and campaign in less than 4 minutes. More info at the web address at the end of the vid. Good luck! [video=youtube_share;WsPNgaR8nfk]https://youtu.be/WsPNgaR8nfk[/video]

Bobtail4x4

I use a heat exchanger on the engine, so the shower is outside, a toilet tent can save blushes.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)