the Boxer build

john1974

thanks both :)

re eber:
I bought a d5z hydronic II I think.. but the latest easy start timer ..2015 onwards..

the window rubber should give. the gaps in the inside can be filled.. I think the double glazed window will take the bend and I am going to practice with the sliding door first as I can replace that if it really goes wrong ;)

I have made a note to cut the paintwork back on the outside whenever I am lost or cold or both.. mindless task that needs doing and will get me warm..

trevskoda

Forum Member
The loo slides out from under the bed and the shower is a hula hoop on the roof as a shower curtain rail I have a child's paddling po that I blow up and the shower curtains drop into it a 12v shower clips on a small bracket shower then stow it all away in a small box I cannot waste space on a shower cubicle as I need to transport my mobility trike inside the van with me.
And yes I still **** in a bag lol.

If ever giving sweets in a bag to some kids please make sure its the correct bag.:scared::lol-049::lol-049::lol-049:

john1974

hi all,

about 4 months after buying boxey, and maybe 3 weeks into the conversion, I am making a start..
Sunday - I made 2 holes in the van for (2 of 4) windows
yesterday was hideous to be outdoors! but I refitted (most of) dash - after I changed the matrix.. did some window work..

today, it was what I can only describe as early spring! only about 8C but sunny and no breeze, a much better day..
I did some more window work, including hanging the main window from its newly fitted hinge, and I primered 1 of the glazed rear doors (was red) so it is ready for paint sometime in the future, it's now a pink hue lol.. looks good from inside regarding the incoming light..

I also stripped all the tools etc from back of van, and swept, and got my fibre pad in the drill and went over all the small rust areas, then added phosphoric acid to them.. red oxide tomorrow and maybe the floor is ready..
that was a day's work, tomorrow hopefully the other door gets primer and fitted, the main window gets externally finished, and the bedroom window gets mostly there..

I am thinking of making a raised floor just behind the cab. The swivel seats are great, but leave legs dangling .. I thought I could use the space under the floor for all electrics, i.e. a 180cm x 30? cm area of the van floor.. any thoughts on this? or what you all do with swivel seats and a foot rest?

another question, I want a double din in the dash.. I don't care much how but, do any X244 owners have a 2xDIN in theirs? at the moment I am looking to modify the clipboard flip thing, so it still closes but the hinge is reversed, so it shuts down over the unit I will fit.. any thoughts welcome

John

It was originally a boxer i was after but they were all builders vans in my price range. The 2.8 would be rather nice to drive though ;) Aye the floor. I did intend on raising it all to cab height and as i would eventually have a full awning i was going to store folding camping chairs and table under that end. Further up would get hatches for some storage like tools, hook up cable and the likes. My last van i never had foot rests as the swivels seats in a Pug Expert are quite close to the floor anyway. BTW i like your woodwork skills on the kitchen. Want to make mine? :D

john1974

thanks 1888 ;)

I don't think I have put any pics on here! I daren't, too embarrassed! so the pics are probably the 'lady' campervananie or someone similar to her - if that's possible ;)
My woodwork is terrible!

I added 2 caravan windows recently, and started put pretend cables here and there yesterday.. today I eventually stuck some timber on the (now very clean) floor.. weighed down and drying overnight..

Tomorrow I will wander to a builder yard or timber merchant and get some ?12mm cheap ply and redo the floor.. and some 15mm celotex..

ps mine was a builders van! £500 to buy, and 3 months and parts to begin to get it shipshape.. .. the longest journey I will ever do in this van has already happened..

John

thanks 1888 ;)

I don't think I have put any pics on here! I daren't, too embarrassed! so the pics are probably the 'lady' campervananie or someone similar to her - if that's possible ;)
My woodwork is terrible!

Tomorrow I will wander to a builder yard or timber merchant and get some ?12mm cheap ply and redo the floor.. and some 15mm celotex..

ps mine was a builders van! £500 to buy, and 3 months and parts to begin to get it shipshape.. .. the longest journey I will ever do in this van has already happened..

John

You are right it was campervananies pics i was looking at :D Ger pictures up here is my last budget camper Tin Tent Build: Page One
I dont care what people say or even if they look down. Ill stick two fingers up knowing i am doing the same as them but for a fraction of the cost.

Builders vans, they were all battered, bashed and star ship enterprise mileage when i was looking. For some reason i was always going back and chucking convoys in my search so ended up buying one but its low mileage at just under 100k so i am happy. As for the floor i am just chucking a layer of OSB board down then cheap B&Q laminate. OSB is stronger than what people give it credit for. I extended my shed with the stuff and had three winters and still no leak or warps like what folk said when i was looking into the idea. The walls will also be cheap B&Q pine cladding and the units i have some solid wood from old wardrobes what will make nice work tops and OBD sides with Vertical cladding and varnish to finish.

Deleted member 951

You are right it was campervananies pics i was looking at :D Ger pictures up here is my last budget camper Tin Tent Build: Page One
I dont care what people say or even if they look down. Ill stick two fingers up knowing i am doing the same as them but for a fraction of the cost.

That's a cracking blog.

Love the rock n roll bed, works a treat!

campervanannie

Forum Member
It was originally a boxer i was after but they were all builders vans in my price range. The 2.8 would be rather nice to drive though ;) Aye the floor. I did intend on raising it all to cab height and as i would eventually have a full awning i was going to store folding camping chairs and table under that end. Further up would get hatches for some storage like tools, hook up cable and the likes. My last van i never had foot rests as the swivels seats in a Pug Expert are quite close to the floor anyway. BTW i like your woodwork skills on the kitchen. Want to make mine? :D

And the woodwork skills are down to another member that did the woodwork for me .

n brown

Forum Member

Builders vans, they were all battered, bashed and star ship enterprise mileage when i was looking. For some reason i was always going back and chucking convoys in my search so ended up buying one but its low mileage at just under 100k so i am happy. As for the floor i am just chucking a layer of OSB board down then cheap B&Q laminate. OSB is stronger than what people give it credit for. I extended my shed with the stuff and had three winters and still no leak or warps like what folk said when i was looking into the idea. The walls will also be cheap B&Q pine cladding and the units i have some solid wood from old wardrobes what will make nice work tops and OBD sides with Vertical cladding and varnish to finish.
make sure to seal that cladding on both sides before fitting, doesn't matter what you use, water varnish,emulsion, linseed oil etc. it wil definitely shrink badly if you don't

make sure to seal that cladding on both sides before fitting, doesn't matter what you use, water varnish,emulsion, linseed oil etc. it wil definitely shrink badly if you don't

Never thought about that cheers. Any recommendation that is clear or just good old bathroom silicon.?

john1974

floor is in today! I managed to get 3 8x4's of ply on the car roofbars (I had to modify the roofbars but the sheets were solid and well supported for the 2 mile drive)
12.5mm .. all cut and installed.. nice to smell new wood!
I also made the bed base and then carefully lay on it for a while to ponder (It was only slightly supported underneath) .. a good day after a slow start..

240V is annoying me.. I have a mini consumer unit with 4 spaces.. 2 taken with an RCD.. can I fit 2 MCB's to cover my needs? (Fridge, 1 or 2 double sockets, numax charger, possible low wattage kettle, possible heater, microwave 800-1350W and that is about it)

The cable colours have changed in recent years, but even in Jewson today they are still selling brown blue and green....

any help with either issue would be gratefully received.. I wont hire out the van, intend to keep it, and will sell it one day)

John

john1974

first trip away in here this weekend,, just back from Dorset

van drove ok, seemed most happy at 65 on the speedo and didnt try any faster..

no idea on fuel at the moment.. 60 Litres went in and gauge showing just under a 1/4 of a tank left after 350 miles.

generally happy despite a few things never making it to the conversion. weather was ok on the whole..no rain but cold overnight.

People on site.. mostly not that friendly really.. not that many MH's and the ones that were there were quite fancy.. one caught my eye, a Detleffs black magic somthing..

the rest of site are long term caravanners and , I just got a bit bored of trying with them ..

Guess as I get older I get less bothered about trying with strangers, a shame really.

very happy it made it there and back.. the only thing not touched with this long cold resoration of a dead 12 year old van was the windscreen and the wipers!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)