taxation classes for motorcaravan

yorkshire lad

Hi all, there may be 1 problem a few years ago I was parked on marine drive scarbough with a few other motorhomes when a parking officer came to book us all, we all had payed for parking, but he said parking was for plg tax only, at the time I had a hymer 660 4.6t but taxed plg, 1 couple had a smaller camper but was taxed phg, the officer showed us in a small book and in small print on the ticket machine that parking was only for plg and everybody else had to use the truck and coach a mile away, the smaller van had to move but I could stay, so to all using phg tax class beware of where you park.:confused::juggle:

Steve121

Hi all, there may be 1 problem a few years ago I was parked on marine drive scarbough with a few other motorhomes when a parking officer came to book us all, we all had payed for parking, but he said parking was for plg tax only, at the time I had a hymer 660 4.6t but taxed plg, 1 couple had a smaller camper but was taxed phg, the officer showed us in a small book and in small print on the ticket machine that parking was only for plg and everybody else had to use the truck and coach a mile away, the smaller van had to move but I could stay, so to all using phg tax class beware of where you park.:confused::juggle:

I wonder if the parking attendants have a wireless link to the DVLA database to check the taxation class? The ones in Central Bedfordshire check for Residents' Parking Permits (paperless) wirelessly but the database is often wrong; I've now had 3 parking tickets when said vehicle had a valid permit. I got refunds, of course, but it's a pain in the ar*e.

yorkshire lad

Hi again, yep in the days of scarbough, we all had paper tax disks in window say PLG or PHG, so yep if they don't have a wireless network they will not know what tax you have:cool1::banana::cool1::banana:

channa

Interesting comment, I got a ticket in Blackpool which I contested and won. Firstly if the machine stated no motorhomes ..(didsnt see that bit it was dark which was an additional point of contention i.e entering a contract with limited information ) that aside. No such thing as a motorhome.! there is no legal acknowledgment of the term. I own a motor caravan not a motorhome.

Secondly it is taxed plg, exactly the same as a car ! Therefore should be treated the same way The body style of the vehicle is immaterial.

They could get around it very simply as they do in Shipley by imposing weight restrictions, 1.5 tonnes is the weight they choose , which means most 4x4s are parked in contravention

Channa

trevskoda

Forum Member
So the phgv is realistic to apply for if over 3500 then?
Also.....throwing another point into the mix lol...In my search for a Iveco Daily,Ive been disregarding the gross weight,hence looking at a 4000 kg van in stead of a lower weight.Im wondering if the higher rated weights have different gearing that would alter fuel economy.Asked on Iveco forum,but no response.couple of owners ive met reckon 27 mpg is a realistic figure,both single and dual wheel axles.

Hi my van 2800 turbo which is under geared will do 30mpg ,look at diff plate mine is 8/43 top speed 50 ish what you want is a 10/41 or depending which diff you have the bigger one has available 11/43 which is the tallest.
you require a ci licence but if you passed before i think 1997 you have it and the tax is lower for big van,heres mine on 59 d 12 coach built.

listerdiesel

There are 'town use' ratios fitted to many converted Mercedes 614's which severely limit top speed to 50mph or so, while the standard van ratio will get you up to 70 if the speed limiter has been taken out.

We have a guy on the self build forum who hit this problem, he has just done 4000 miles round Europe in his van which is an automatic as well.

Peter

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)