Tables

• Thread starter Deleted member 4404
  • Start date

Deleted member 4404

To get the V5 changed, I fitted a table with detachable leg

I never use it and it lives under our bed at home. Talking to other van owners it seems I'm not the only one who has fitted something to comply with DVLA rules that is never used?

voyager

Forum Member

I never use it and it lives under our bed at home. Talking to other van owners it seems I'm not the only one who has fitted something to comply with DVLA rules that is never used?
I don't understand why they say you have to have a permanently fitted table but it can be removed and stored away when not needed, it just doesn't make sense to me as there is no way they can enforce such a rule.

wildebus

Forum Member

You would certainly not be the only one with an unwanted table :)

I fitted a similar setup in my current VW LT for the same reason you have, but to my surprise I do actually use the table!

It is possible to take a different approach to satisfy the regulations. On my VW T4 I had a little Cooker Pod

Cooker Pod
by David, on Flickr.
(single cartridge Burner on top, Compressor Coolbox in cupboard below)

The worktop was on drawer runners to allow it to expose the burner when it use, and while I never intended to use the worktop in the following way, I staged the following photo as part of the set I sent to the DVLA for reclassification.
by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/moominsonsafari/]David, on Flickr[/url]

Millie Master

Forum Member
If you read the DVLA ruling about the table and I quote "The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table."

Taking this ruling to the letter and as we almost never use a table, my table is fitted into a permanent form of attachment on the nearside rear door of the garage at the back of 'Millie' where we can easily gain access to it when sitting outside but it never ever gets in our way when we are inside!

None of the photographs I sent to the DVLA showed a table but the images and my detailed description of the conversion ensured there was no doubting that 'Millie' is indeed a motorhome, which is no doubt why I received the duly altered V5 back in only 10 days.

Phil

trevskoda

Forum Member
Cannot see how folk eat without a table,where do the plates ,cups utensils ie eating irons sit,or do your condiments levitate.
My table clips on side wall between rear seats with fold down leg and when not being used locks onto toilet outside wall.

Attachments

• table toilet door.jpg
    table toilet door.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 391
  • table top.jpg
    table top.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 412
  • leg table.jpg
    leg table.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 395

wildebus

Forum Member
Cannot see how folk eat without a table,where do the plates ,cups utensils ie eating irons sit,or do your condiments levitate.
My table clips on side wall between rear seats with fold down leg and when not being used locks onto toilet outside wall.
At home I tend to eat with plate on lap.

But in the current camper I do usually get the table out if eating inside weirdly enough

trevskoda

Forum Member
At home I tend to eat with plate on lap.

But in the current camper I do usually get the table out if eating inside weirdly enough
Tut tut no table training from birth,my butler would not approve of such behavour, most times when out in van i eat out to treat the wife and kids at week ends,do get your point about tables as some vans i have seen have very little room inside.(y)

Brett

was able to remove my table so took that and the fixing out sit with a tray on my knee works for me

time4t

Trev, since my recent heart scare, i've been searching for tasty fruit, I've tried fruit from all the supermarkets in my area.
Lidl are very good but, you do have to check everything & don't buy clementines from the first isle, these are older, get them from the other side.
Blood oranges are a pain to prepare but taste great, Comice pairs need a few days to ripen, black/red grapes are good, their bananas are nice too!

Sainsburys have good nectarines but only the ones in the long card board packs!!
Their Bananas are nice too.

But, I agree with you about it tasting of turnips, it's because of the way it's grown, a lot of it's forced to grow quickly under constant light/heat, it's then harvested & kept in warehouses where temperature & humidity are controlled to allow them to store it for as long as they want, up to a year has been known.
Then when the time is right, they increase the temp/humidity & flood the warehouse with Ethylene (which is what Bananas give off) to make it ripen!

Phill

time4t

How is your weight loss campaign going Phill?

Phil
It's going well thanks, like I said before, I was 21 stone when I went in to hospital, mainly due to water retention & they drained 2 stone out of me in a week.

When I came home, I carried on with a similar diet of mainly vegetables & lots of fruit, I don't eat my favourite snacks anymore so no crisps/nuts/cakes or chocolate, I drink spring water & fruit juice.
I do drink a small bottle of becks most nights & have a glass of wine (100ml) occasionally.

I lost another 41/2 stone in the 3 months after leaving hospital, so now I'm trying to steady it with the aim of getting down to about 13 stone:)

Phill

Millie Master

Forum Member
I trust that you're still improving!

Phill

Thanks for asking Phill, yes a vast improvement ever since I stopped taking the 2 drugs that had been prescribed and which were in effect both causing my body so to fight against them, so now with the exception of very occasionally using the Sabutamol inhaler, for the first time in yonks I am not on any drugs! But my cholesterol levels are high as is also my blood sugar, so I my most beloved and I are both on an exceptionally healthy eating diet (not that is wasn't before) with the view to dragging both levels down, not that the cholesterol levels are causing any health issues.
This along with my high levels of physical fitness building that come rain or shine I do on a daily basis, I am feeling fitter than I have done for years.

And to bring this reply back on to topic, I rarely eat my food when seated at a table!

Phil

time4t

Oh by the way, even though we will eat most of our meals off of been bag trays, I will still fit a table in the van for the re-registration process.

Phill

trevskoda

Forum Member
When i was young and lived with g/parents we were made to eat at a table,and no one left to the old boy went first,eating of ones knee would have been a no no,very strict home with manors which i find lacking in todays youth.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)