swb vivaro budget build

smdts

Bought a swb vivaro and a mazda bongo both out the scrappy to merge together.
IMG_20190819_141052.jpg
IMG_20190815_173619.jpg
IMG_20190820_162912.jpg
IMG_20190824_193932.jpg
IMG_20190829_191327.jpg
IMG_20190905_202248.jpg
IMG_20190905_202234.jpg
IMG_20190905_202135.jpg
IMG_20190905_184305.jpg

Looks an interesting project, keep the piccies coming....👍😃

smdts

IMG_20190906_184019.jpg
IMG_20190908_140719.jpg
IMG_20190908_163321.jpg
IMG_20190908_183512.jpg
IMG_20190908_202113.jpg
IMG_20190908_202436.jpg

insulate the walls next, a wee roadtrip to bute next week with the bikes then roof swap once I am back, then kitchen, wardrobes and rock and roll bed.
been given a diesel night heater and a 200 amp leisure battery too, very fortunate.

wildebus

Interesting conversation.

Just a note on your wheels and a topic that comes up a lot on the VW Forums .... Are you sure they are heavy duty enough for your van? The use of Audi and BMW wheels are popular on the Transporters but very few are actually suitable for the GVW of a commercial van the size of the Transporters, Transits and Vivaros.
They may physically fit, but it doesn't mean they are ok to fit.

(Sorry to be a downer on this point, but it is a critical safety thing, especially as you are likely to to running at near GVW if doing a camper buildout).

RAW

Nice development, you must have quite a bit of spare time to make that work, hope the next stages work out well for you. Roof swap sounds a challenge.

wildebus

The Bongo Roof is very nice and I believe usually motorised as well (I think anyway) and is a popular retrofit on the VW T4 Transporters

The Vivaro/Trafic Roof has that unusual little hump above the cab area - I wonder it that will cause any awkwardness? Hopefully not as would be a great little camper afterwards. (doing this kind of roof swap is way above my paygrade in terms of metalwork manipulation so looking forward to seeing the results (y))

RAW

The Bongo Roof is very nice and I believe usually motorised as well (I think anyway) and is a popular retrofit on the VW T4 Transporters

The Vivaro/Trafic Roof has that unusual little hump above the cab area - I wonder it that will cause any awkwardness? Hopefully not as would be a great little camper afterwards. (doing this kind of roof swap is way above my paygrade in terms of metalwork manipulation so looking forward to seeing the results (y))
I saw a Bongo whilst in Cornwall and had a manual roof, was an import. Bongo's are rubbish on fuel at around 20 MPG - As @wildebus has stated the Roof job would be something out of my remit too, a big job, so interested how it evolves. Good luck

Looks good though you could have had the wheels shotblasted /epoxy 2 pac prim and then poly 2 pac finnish,we used to do them for £15 a rim which was a good price as a co down road from us did crappy powder at £100 a rim.
Handy we van i must say but do make sure you have the correct size plates under the seat fixing or mot men will go nuts.

smdts

Interesting conversation.

Just a note on your wheels and a topic that comes up a lot on the VW Forums .... Are you sure they are heavy duty enough for your van? The use of Audi and BMW wheels are popular on the Transporters but very few are actually suitable for the GVW of a commercial van the size of the Transporters, Transits and Vivaros.
They may physically fit, but it doesn't mean they are ok to fit.

(Sorry to be a downer on this point, but it is a critical safety thing, especially as you are likely to to running at near GVW if doing a camper buildout).
Literally thousands have them fitted, and I am yet to have seen any reported evidence of any failure. Have you seen any indication otherwise?

Well, I took 4 BMW wheels off a BMW and 3 were cracked - customer scrapped them after that clearly unsafe. loads of BMW wheels crack in normal use as they are basically not that strong and also so many cheap clone replicas around that people think are genuine.
I also took the Audi Wheels off my VW T4 which were fitted when I bought it as they were not up to the load requirement - and that T4 had a GVW of under 2.5t and was the lighest T4 model around.

Would you fit tyres to your van which you knew had lower load rating than the van weight? probably not. So why would you fit Wheels with the same limitation? (what BMW model did they come off? what is that models max kerb weight? If same or higher than your vivaro then no worries)

Your choice, but remember it is not just your safety, but that of your family that is travelling in the van and the other people on the road around you ....