Stickers for classification?

vashthestampede

Hi all - my ldv has been rejected on the basis that it needs stickers to make it look more like a motorhome :/ passed everything else.

Has anyone encountered this? Any concrete ideas on what motorhome stickers are? I cant see anything on the dvla website.

Whatever I do is not staying, I'm happy with the way it looks now, but I'm a little concerned about peeling stickers off as its a rollered-on matte finish.

Would some large letters that say 'THIS IS A MOTORHOME' work or is that just gonna p em off?

Really cant be bothered with this - my last van sailed through without any of this nonsense and it was way stealthier than this one.

Thanks in advance,

trevskoda

Forum Member
Its not compulsory to have stickers/decals on van,they dropped that a few years back,some new vans dont have them,it could be the poor paint job thats waging there tail.

wildebus

Forum Member
Hi all - my ldv has been rejected on the basis that it needs stickers to make it look more like a motorhome :/ passed everything else.

Has anyone encountered this? Any concrete ideas on what motorhome stickers are? I cant see anything on the dvla website.

Whatever I do is not staying, I'm happy with the way it looks now, but I'm a little concerned about peeling stickers off as its a rollered-on matte finish.

Would some large letters that say 'THIS IS A MOTORHOME' work or is that just gonna p em off?

Really cant be bothered with this - my last van sailed through without any of this nonsense and it was way stealthier than this one.

Thanks in advance,
That 'requirement' was dropped years ago. it sounds like you may have been unlucky to have your request picked up by a DVLA Dinosaur.
it is free (apart from postage) to reapply so maybe send again and cross your fingers?
There is a thread Here on the VW Forum about reclassification with some great advice and a sample request letter. Maybe adapt the letter and photos a bit? (I don't know what your original letter and photos were like, so just a suggestion)

PS. I will just add that the thread I linked to was written by a DVSA Vehicle Inspector who is involved in motorhome IVA inspections, so worth looking at (I've used his guidelines in my last 3 reclassification requests)

Last edited:

Darcar

Forum Member
The dvla want your van to look like what it’s registered as!
So if you have a “bus” with the windows still intact and looking like a bus, it’s not going to be reclassified as a motor home whatever you do inside....

your van must look like a motor home ( motor caravan ) so try showing your windows, your fridge vents, etc in your pictures if you have a awning put it out on one picture. There’s no requirements for graphics but they do help to make it look right.
Good luck.
Darcar

Lioncrunch

The dvla want your van to look like what it’s registered as!
So if you have a “bus” with the windows still intact and looking like a bus, it’s not going to be reclassified as a motor home whatever you do inside....

your van must look like a motor home ( motor caravan ) so try showing your windows, your fridge vents, etc in your pictures if you have a awning put it out on one picture. There’s no requirements for graphics but they do help to make it look right.
Good luck.
Darcar
Hi all, first post, my VW T5 came back in a week all done in oct this year just plane silver paint work no decals at all, did take some good photos though and did the dvla letter thing. Apart from pop top looks just like a bus with roof down.

Deleted member 4404

Hi Lioncrunch, welcome aboard.
Good feeling when you get the V5 back with no probs (y)

vashthestampede

Just had my second knockback based on external look. I'd blacked (greened) out the windows bar one which has theatre curtains, peeled off all bus stickers and added a big decal that says 'motorhome'. In no known universe does it look like a minibus, if it did im sure i wouldnt get so many scowls from neighbours n townsfolk ;) . Awning then? Bike rack? Since ive painted it ive welded on 2 new panels and lost a fight with a ditch stream, so it does look a bit tatty now, someone mentioned that might not be helping. Anyone insured as a minibus?

wildebus

Forum Member
It is annoying this new stance from DVLA on reclassification :( Especially as they tell you it needs to 'look' like a Motorhome but don't tell you what that is meant to mean! It does sound like some politics are going on from higher up in the DoT.
An Awning is meant to be a good idea to persuade them from what I hear.

Also, just because it is classified as a Minibus doesn't mean you have to insure it as a Minibus. I presume you have a Class 4 MOT as it was tested as a "Motor Caravan"? Use an insurer that will insure you as a Motorhome (there are quite a few around).

vashthestampede

It is annoying this new stance from DVLA on reclassification :( Especially as they tell you it needs to 'look' like a Motorhome but don't tell you what that is meant to mean! It does sound like some politics are going on from higher up in the DoT.
An Awning is meant to be a good idea to persuade them from what I hear.

Also, just because it is classified as a Minibus doesn't mean you have to insure it as a Minibus. I presume you have a Class 4 MOT as it was tested as a "Motor Caravan"? Use an insurer that will insure you as a Motorhome (there are quite a few around).
Ah ok didnt realise that cheers! My current one doesnt (Advance) but have a grace period to get it changed, which im pretty much at the end of. Will have a look around then nice one

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)