Steel or Aluminium

K9d

I have recently bought these seats on ebay leather captains seats maybe suitable 4 van conversions,campervans t4 merc etc | eBay, to replace the 26 year old ones in my Hmyer.

I will be keeping my existing swivel base to allow the seats to rotate, this is basically a turntable with a hole in each corner.
To make the seats fit I have taken the metal base off the bottom, it was that or amputate my legs to fit under the steering wheel, but I figured then operating the pedals would be tricky. :)

The holes on the turntables are 324mm apart, but unfortunately the holes in the seat rails don't line up. :(
My solution is 25mm box section, because of the mechanism to lock/unlock the turntable I can't just run a straight piece of metal along the front of the turntable but instead will need to use two mirrored pieces.
At the front I will drill an extra hole in the turntable on each side so there will be a box section held by two bolts that extends beyond the end of the turntable to meet the holes in the seat rail. The rear will have one long bar going all the way across and extending beyond the end again to meet the seat rail.
For the passenger seat I will need to drill a new hole in the seat rail to line up with the extended bar, on the drivers side I can just put an offset hole in for this.

Hopefully that makes sense.

So my question is should I use steel or aluminium ?, my preferred option would be aluminium as it will be easier to work with but I'm concerned that it may not be strong enough. It will have to support the weight of the seat plus my almost 15 stone and survive the forces that driving place upon it.

K9d

That was my thinking, the extra effort at this stage will be worth it for the peace of mind.

martinmartin

steel or alumnium

I would use steel but if it doesnt work you could use aluminium for the prosthetics.

st3v3

Forum Member
I'm not sure how much crash testing is important? Are the seatbelt mounts on the bit you're making? Is it possible for any mass to impact the back of the seat in a crash?

If no and no, then aluminium will be fine as long as it's all bolted together securely.

K9d

I'm appreciating the replies from those who spend their lives wrapped in cotton wool, just waiting to die.
Perhaps you can also advise me as to what material to make the spike I plan to place in the centre of the steering wheel facing me with and should I cover it with anthrax?

Meanwhile in the real world, the seats are currently held in with 4 bolts the new seats will be held in with 4 bolts.

The seat belt is attached to the metal box that is part of the chassis and is not being touched in the process of fitting new seats, apart from my daughter in the back, and she is wearing a seat belt, there is nothing that could be projected forwards.

st3v3

Forum Member
Based on assumptions about daughter - please provide age/vital statistics/pictures* to confirm - Aluminium it is!

* Delete as applicable to not make me a paedophile/letch

lol.

K9d

Based on assumptions about daughter - please provide age/vital statistics/pictures* to confirm - Aluminium it is!

* Delete as applicable to not make me a paedophile/letch

lol.

She's still at school so best I delete the lot :), if she was old enough to leave behind we would in a heartbeat.

She's good really but I do look forward to the day its just Kathy and I, teenage girls don't always appreciate the same stuff we do so compromises have to be made.

st3v3

Forum Member
LOL.

My plasterer has 2 daughters - one well into the teenage stage and all I'll say is I'm glad I have a boy!

If it's any consolation wife fought like f'uk with parents about trivial stuff when she was that age, but started to get on really well not that much later :)

K9d

She's brilliant generally, has the odd moment, but more than anything she makes me proud.
Parents evenings can be a bit boring when every teacher is telling you how good she is, but in this case boring is good. :)

GRWXJR

Just a thought but have you considered trying some Unistrut? This is what I used to fix in my passenger seat. Gives you unlimited flexibility for moving and bolting up and is super-strong stuff.

st3v3

Forum Member
She's brilliant generally, has the odd moment, but more than anything she makes me proud.
Parents evenings can be a bit boring when every teacher is telling you how good she is, but in this case boring is good. :)

Awesome. Boy's similar - sat playing mastermind in the pub with a seven year old can only make you proud :)

He has his moments, but to be fair it's only when he's ill/hungry/proper tired.

There's nothing I wouldn't take him to.

helen262

I'm appreciating the replies from those who spend their lives wrapped in cotton wool, just waiting to die.
Perhaps you can also advise me as to what material to make the spike I plan to place in the centre of the steering wheel facing me with and should I cover it with anthrax?

Really rusty steel should do, and anthrax should be just fine,

Fazerloz

What spec of alloy were you thinking of using..... It could confuse the mot people.:fun:

K9d

Just a thought but have you considered trying some Unistrut? This is what I used to fix in my passenger seat. Gives you unlimited flexibility for moving and bolting up and is super-strong stuff.

Had to Google it, but it looks like that would work.

K9d

Really rusty steel should do, and anthrax should be just fine,

I knew anthrax was the way to go, but I like the rusty touch that's a stoke of genius.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)