Spray adhesive for polystyrene?

Millie Master

Forum Member
Your problem is Dave that most commercially sold polystyrene is open cell and that means the solvent in almost all spray adhesives will dissolve it.

If you are wanting to have a full and even coverage of the adhesive, then the only way I can think of is to laboriously lay strip after strip of double sided tape, but that would be a right royal PITA of a job to do.

What are you using this horrible stuff for?

Phil

Bouydog

Forum Member
Your problem is Dave that most commercially sold polystyrene is open cell and that means the solvent in almost all spray adhesives will dissolve it.

If you are wanting to have a full and even coverage of the adhesive, then the only way I can think of is to laboriously lay strip after strip of double sided tape, but that would be a right royal PITA of a job to do.

What are you using this horrible stuff for?

Phil
Hi Phil
I thought that may be the case and you are right about the tape.
Parts of the original insulation are jablite type polystyrene I have replaced a lot of it with celotex, having run out of celotex I was thinking of leaving the last bit and gluing a membrane to it as not enough for another full sheet.
By the way I took your earlier advice and opened a trade account, much less painful on the wallet.
Dave

Bouydog

Forum Member
Yep think the new stuff has a fire retardant in it,i used the foilbubble insulation from homebase as they say its as good as 30mm rockwool.
I will replace it with celotex, it took me so long to do the roof that I was looking for a short cut. However with your comments and common sense prevailing I will do it properly.
I think my internal stainless framework is the same as yours Trev, so as you know a lot of cutting to fit the voids.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I will replace it with celotex, it took me so long to do the roof that I was looking for a short cut. However with your comments and common sense prevailing I will do it properly.
I think my internal stainless framework is the same as yours Trev, so as you know a lot of cutting to fit the voids.
I used the bubble foil and fiberfill

Attachments

• tr 8.jpg
    tr 8.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 258

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)