Some Gas Help Please ?

Deleted member 4404

I'm no expert on gas fires, but to go out suddenly I would suspect the thermocouple.

Squiffy

Forum Member
I tend to agree that if it suddenly went out then the thermo couple would be my first thought. As for buying one I have found that usually a third party thermo couple can usually be found to fit. Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
Sorry to be replying in bits and pieces, but looking at the photo once again Robert I would hazard a guess and say that the slot just below the temperature wheel should accommodate the thermocouple tube so as it would be out of the way from damage by the wheel itself, looking carefully it looks as though the tube has sustained damage just on the bend below the temperature setting wheel. Thermocouple tubes will take a lot of abuse but when they do start leaking they cause all sorts of problems from low gas flow to no flow at all, even a leaking one can if heated by a fierce pilot light give a good gas flow until enough fluid has leaked out to drop pressure inside the tube to either make the main burner go down to almost nothing or suddenly go out. Phil

RAW

Forum Member
I know nothing about gas but one daft thing comes to mind ..... got enough gas in the bottle?
Yes it is full as LPG to fuel vehicle also fills Gas bottle for Habitation so pretty much constantly full unless LPG for fuel runs out

Also thanks @Squiffy for your replies. I am struggling to get thermocouple out and understand how it all works.
Taken fire apart again and it lights but does not emit much heat.
Temp control knob screws down onto something

Guess I just get a new Thermocouple and hope it is that

Thanks for all your help guys and links Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
Just another thought Rob, have you got other appliances using the gas like a gas ring or oven and if so are they working correctly, as LPG propane gas regulators have a tendency to pack up and not deliver the correct gas pressure.Phil

P.s
To be fair if the pilot light stays lit then its unlikely to be the thermocouple thinking about it, as it's the thermocouple that mainly controls the pilot light. The gas burner if it's actually operating and alight is controlled by the gas pressure (Gas regulator ) and gas control valve on the fire itself, sorry if I've mis led you in my rush to try and help 🙄

Last edited:

RAW

Forum Member
Just another thought Rob, have you got other appliances using the gas like a gas ring or oven and if so are they working correctly, as LPG propane gas regulators have a tendency to pack up and not deliver the correct gas pressure.Phil
All the Gas was done by Approved Gas Fitter, Andy's Autogas fairly recently
Hobs and oven work fine
Boiler for Hot water works fine

So yes everything else is working.
Thanks
Robert

RAW

Forum Member
So the cover is off, I am struggling to take the Top Nut part off where it screws into the wheel on the thermostat (left picture), just seems to turn and turn.

Someone else on a Facebook group send take glass cover off and clean inside with a small brush as jets might be blocked ? (Middle Pic)

Any more help appreciated. Ordered new Thermocouple as was not overly expensive, under a fiver.
20190918_091748.jpg20190918_091646.jpg20190918_091640.jpg

Going to Scotland end of month so would really like to get this working well as cannot really afford to lash out on a Propex Heater or Diesel Heater, although there are some moderately cheap Chinese Diesel Heaters (example) so might have to go for one of them as a back-up if anyone has any experience / recommendations

Thanks
Robert

RAW

Forum Member
Here's an Update
I have removed the thumb temp control and the thermostatic couple unit that is inside
It seems that the part in the Left picture above is an entire unit.
Inside there is some sort of rubber type valve which seals the unit and if I press down it restricts the Gas flow
So I am simply going to remove all the controls and cap it. This seems to allow enough Gas to power the fire without it going out. Pictures to follow.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Robert that is a solution, but a very dodgy solution. The whole point of the thermocouple is to keep the pilot alight and allow gas flow through the gas valve if the pilot light gets blown out accidentally you will still have gas flow through the burner but it will of course not ignite. Your idea will work but make sure that the pilot light is stays alight all the time that you have the fire in operation. 😜Phil

RAW

Forum Member
Robert that is a solution, but a very dodgy solution. The whole point of the thermocouple is to keep the pilot alight and allow gas flow through the gas valve if the pilot light gets blown out accidentally you will still have gas flow through the burner but it will of course not ignite. Your idea will work but make sure that the pilot light is stays alight all the time that you have the fire in operation. 😜Phil

Hiya Phil,
I am not sure it is really a Thermocouple as such - it looks like this and is nowhere near the fire or heater, which means it is more like a temp control or thermostat.
TC.jpg
Also have tested it and the part on the end at right is springy but does nothing when very cold substance wrapped around the thermometer looking part on the left

Also regarding a "Pilot Light" I am not really sure there is one and if there is then I think it would be inside the Fire Unit itself and there would be a thermocouple there.
I have had no luck finding an exploded Diagram for the Carver SD2000 but there is a PDF manual at http://www.thomson-caravans.co.uk/advice/maintenance/pdf/carvertrumatic_sb1800_sd2000.pdf

So my solution for now has been to Cap the Gas Control Valve after removing non-working part above

Also with the Screw down function of the thermostatic Dial, I really cannot see how this would ever have worked or been calibrated in degrees of 1 Centigrade, if indeed it is degrees that are represented on the removed thumb screw control
Thermostat_control.jpg
This is the Gas Fire, hopefully it was not made in 1965
1569441524256.png

Also hopefully no major incidents to follow (y)
Robert

RAW

Forum Member
UPDATE whilst in Scotland, Findhorn, here ; feeling windswept, the fire now only works constantly if I press down on the control valve.
Otherwise fire just goes out after minutes or seconds
Carver2000ERR.png

So I think my only option now is to get some other heating and as there is Gas supply working and flue already then Propex Gas heater would make sense to put in place of Carver. Does anyone know where I can get one cheaply, or some other similar cheap heating ? The Propex ones are expensive both new and secondhand and would be reluctant to buy the latter.
TIA
Robert

RAW

Forum Member
UPDATE 2
Gas Fire is now WORKING
Carver-Fix.jpg

I WILL NOT be using the Fire whilst asleep or away from the Van !!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)