Solar Yield Query

RAW

Forum Member
Dear Solar Electrical Folk,

I am still "getting my head round" all the terminology and electrical theory concerning solar and battery technology.
Here is the latest from my Victron App when connecting to MPPT 100/30 Charge Controller which has a 285W Solar Panel One End and an Alpha Battery of 165KW the other end, battery link is here

So the load on the battery is varying at the moment and the Victron App is displaying below today on a Sunny Day where Sylvia is parked up
Screenshot_20190812-181006.jpg
Can anyone work out from the above what amount of Solar Yield is required to fully charge the battery from a discharged state?
Here's another screenshot from earlier in the day today
Screenshot_20190812-165635.jpg

Thanks for any help, as always,
Robert

wildebus

Forum Member
Dear Solar Electrical Folk,

I am still "getting my head round" all the terminology and electrical theory concerning solar and battery technology.
Here is the latest from my Victron App when connecting to MPPT 100/30 Charge Controller which has a 285W Solar Panel One End and an Alpha Battery of 165KW the other end, battery link is here

So the load on the battery is varying at the moment and the Victron App is displaying below today on a Sunny Day where Sylvia is parked up
View attachment 1471
Can anyone work out from the above what amount of Solar Yield is required to fully charge the battery from a discharged state?
Here's another screenshot from earlier in the day today
View attachment 1472

Thanks for any help, as always,
Robert
Just a comment for anyone not familar with the Victron graphs - the White Bars are amount of power put in in Bulk Mode, the lighter Blue (and very thin) Bars above the White is when in Absorption Mode and the Darker Blue (at the top) is in Float Mode.

Rough Rule of Thumb - Bulk Mode lasts until battery is at around 80%, then switches to Absorption Mode and when full, at float.
However, just to complicate matters, the Victron Controllers have a maximum Absorption Time parameter in the configuraration - and THAT then gets adjusted depending on the the voltage of the battery at the start of the day. If you start the day with a pretty full battery (12.7V) then the controller will only provide 1/6th of the absorption time before it goes to float.
So the graph on its own is not neccessarily the full picture. But I reckon your setup there is looking pretty nice. You have a decent amount of harvesting today there from your panel - Well over 100Ah coming in from a 285W panel is very respectable, especially considering the current weather and your location.

RAW

Forum Member
Rough Rule of Thumb - Bulk Mode lasts until battery is at around 80%, then switches to Absorption Mode and when full, at float.
However, just to complicate matters, the Victron Controllers have a maximum Absorption Time parameter in the configuraration - and THAT then gets adjusted depending on the the voltage of the battery at the start of the day. If you start the day with a pretty full battery (12.7V) then the controller will only provide 1/6th of the absorption time before it goes to float.
So the graph on its own is not neccessarily the full picture. But I reckon your setup there is looking pretty nice. You have a decent amount of harvesting today there from your panel - Well over 100Ah coming in from a 285W panel is very respectable, especially considering the current weather and your location.

Thanks @wildebus
When I fit the BMV712 I will have a better idea of what the battery state is that is fitted. The information you have provided is very helpful and I will do a bit more research on the charge and discharge states of the LEOCH AGM Battery I have tomorrow

Also tomorrow I will do another screenshot and add it to this thread together with a screenshot of the settings I have for the battery on the controller, which I consulted with Ian of Xerogrid Solar about a while back, so more information to come from me on this tomorrow

All the best
Robert

RAW

Forum Member
But I reckon your setup there is looking pretty nice. You have a decent amount of harvesting today there from your panel - Well over 100Ah coming in from a 285W panel is very respectable, especially considering the current weather and your location.
As an aside the Van is parked up in North Devon at the moment and not the home location of cloudy Pennines
Robert

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)