Solar in a Talbot Express

RAW

Forum Member
Having decided to purchase the Talbot Express I have been looking at I am now wondering if anyone has experience of wiring these 1989 Autosleeper Variants with Solar Panels and how best to mount the Solar Panels on a Fibreglass Roof and also how to bring the cabling into the Vehicle and seal the holes, best practice etc.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Having decided to purchase the Talbot Express

Are you absolutely certain that you have made the best decision Robert or simply a short term gain decision that will see you out and about in a motorhome?
My biggest concerns about your decision are two-fold: -
1. The Talbot is a very old van which has a very old technology engine that belches out loads of filthy stuff from its exhaust which will result in it being banned from entering an ever increasing number of towns throughout the UK and Eurpe.

2. You are I believe new to this game and as such are unlikely to have heard the expression "flimsy" ?
For years the construction techniques employed in the manufacture of the coachbuilt body fitted to the Talbot Express got the name of "flimsy" because of the very weak construction technique that made it exceptionally prone to water leaks and structural rot. Basically it is a very lightweight and weak frame work that then has thin aluminium exterior panels attached to it which then has a low rent level of insulation before the internal wall boards are attached prior to the fitting out.
As far as I know, there isn't a single caravan or motorhome manufacture still manufacturing products with this exceptionally poor type of construction.

Robert, I honestly do believe you would be far better off converting a panel van or buying an already converted van from the likes of @iceman.

Phil

RAW

Forum Member
Hiya Phil

Uncertainty arises. As hopefully do good times ahead. Anyway to answer some of your points.
1) Yes it is 1989 and the engine seems good and is Petrol, deemed less polluting than diesel. It also means that if I like it after some test sleep outs and trials then if I am liking the experience with the Talbot and it is fit to run for 10's of thousands of miles longer then I will look to fit LPG to power the engine alongside Petrol, thereby making it more economical to run and enviro friendly

2) Seems solid. The Cab is steel I think rather than aluminium. The rear part is fibreglass monocoque and seems OK and attached well to the Chassis.
The electrics are old but still usable as split 12v / 240v and has all I need in terms of space inside. However, I hear what you are saying and appreciate your input.

So I have paid a deposit and my view is to test the whole game. Taken van for a test drive and she handles OK and pulls not too bad and road users seem to respect her age and size, not seen as a horrid white van man (LOL) and cut-up, poorly treated as such are on the roads in the UK at least.

Other points, self-build would be a nice project with my 17 YO son who is studying mechanical engineering, however time / motivation / places to work and cash flow all go against the self-build idea. Nevertheless, I appreciate what you are saying.

Let's hope it all works out and as my son said that she is not a "money pit"

Cheers
Robert

Deleted member 4404

Re the solar panel - if the roof has rails, the popular way is to fix aluminium angle across them and fix panels to that (easy to remove if you decide to change vans later). Cable entry is through a gland which you can buy with the panel. Two types of controller, MPPT and PWM, pwm is the cheapest but not the most efficient, but you can easily upgrade to mppt later. Bimble solar, and others, sell complete kits and this would probably be your easiest route.

Last edited by a moderator:

RAW

Forum Member
Thanks looking at Bimble Solar they are down South near to where my Parents live and might take a run down there in the Van Easter Time so that is really useful. Thank-you.
The Van I am buying has the Split charge from Alternator to Leisure battery 12V and Engine Battery both located in Front Engine bay.

As I understand the way the charge relay works is to put charge into both batteries but there is some sort of Voltage leak across it as old technology to the Tune of 1V see https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/split-charging.html
So the next thoughts are whether to have the Solar Power feeding into the Leisure Battery to keep it topped up and also feed to another 12V leisure battery as will likely have enough power for that and keep everything in the same circuit

OR whether it may be more efficient and effective to use the Solar Power on a completely separate circuit from existing and have some sort of 5V?6V Type Circuitry for phones and the like, would also be sufficient to charge my chromebook I would think, and separate lighting. Plus have some way to then trickle top-up the leisure battery as well.

Any ideas ?

Robert

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)